Homeless in San Diego

2,231 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by permabull
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there a large number of homeless in San Diego? Haven't been there in about 12 years, but have a family member there now who says there are tents of homeless people lining one of the downtown streets. She is prone to exaggeration so wanted another opinion.
aTm2004
AG
It's perfect weather, so not a bad place to be homeless.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Potcake
AG
There is a little park between Gaslamp and convention center that had a lot of homeless the two times we were there.
Hincemm
AG
It seems that San Francisco and Honolulu seem to be the same way. Nothing statistical to back that up. Just my opinion.
HeightsAg
Not any more than any other normal large cities in America. I supposed you may think it's a lot if you reside in white suburbia and never venture out.
Here4Beer
AG
HeightsAg said:

Not any more than any other normal large cities in America. I supposed you may think it's a lot if you reside in white suburbia and never venture out.

Yeah, how dare you be white and live in the suburbs.
HollywoodBQ
AG
They used to have advertising telling homeless veterans to "Stand Down".

I guess a lot of the regular vets didn't want folks to think these guys were homeless because they had served.
Hincemm
AG
HeightsAg said:

You went there huh. Gfy
Ag CPA
AG
HeightsAg said:

Not any more than any other normal large cities in America.
Actually there are.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/11/25/the-u-s-cities-where-the-largest-homeless-pop-infographic/#793f398f4dde
Hincemm
AG
Rates by city.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/las-vegas-has-fourth-highest-rate-of-homelessness-in-us/75080646

Matsui
AG
There are lined streets of homeless here in Los Angeles. Even overpasses.
BQ78
AG
I grew up in San Diego and that is no exaggeration. The weather is usually very mild except for last week. I went to the Padres game last week and the area on Imperial Ave. near St. Vincent DePaul's looked like the ARCH in Austin except there were tents and more people. So no exaggeration from your family member.
SW AG80
AG
Sorry to hear that.
Seven Costanza
AG
ORAggieFan
I lolive in SD and travel all over. I don't think SD is that bad. Actually would think it would be worse with the weather. Portland is amazingly bad. LA and SF both bad. I'd put them as worse than SD.

Portland is just insane with tent cities everywhere.
HeightsAg
Here4Beer said:

HeightsAg said:

Nothing wrong with it at all but there usually isn't much of a homeless population in suburbs that are predominantly white. Just pointing out the obvious. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
HeightsAg said:

Here4Beer said:

HeightsAg said:

Nothing wrong with it at all but there usually isn't much of a homeless population in suburbs that are predominantly white. Just pointing out the obvious. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
of course you meant to offend people. You're on a travel forum wagging your finger at people, not a politics forum.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Rather than make the suburb comment which will undoubtedly tough a nerve, I guess the question is what the problem with seeing homeless people on vacation. I would assume the associated crime that come with poverty and mental illness is a problem but the Dominican, Mexico and a few carribean islands and many other places all have worse problems with poverty
Matsui
AG
In Portland the homeless are entitled.
Hincemm
AG
blindey said:

HeightsAg said:

Here4Beer said:

HeightsAg said:

of course you meant to offend people. You're on a travel forum wagging your finger at people, not a politics forum.
Ag CPA
AG
HeightsAg
blindey said:

HeightsAg said:

Here4Beer said:

HeightsAg said:

Sorry, I really don't understand how my comment was offensive, political, or directed at anyone. Let me rephrase, "San Diego may seem like it has a lot of homeless people if you don't venture far from communities without much of a vagrant population as everything is relative". Is that better?
Ulrich
HeightsAg said:

blindey said:

HeightsAg said:

Here4Beer said:

HeightsAg said:

Sorry, I really don't understand how my comment was offensive, political, or directed at anyone. Let me rephrase, "San Diego may seem like it has a lot of homeless people if you don't venture far from communities without much of a vagrant population as everything is relative". Is that better?

So... you're arguing that San Diego doesn't have many homeless people by saying that it has more homeless people than other places?
HeightsAg
No, I am saying San Diego doesn't have an exceptionally large homeless population but it may seems that way if you're not used to seeing homeless people where you live.

That last post was me trying to rephrase the section of my OP that apparently triggered some intense emotions. Regardless of how it was perceived, again that was not my intent.

Regardless, people are free to get worked up about whatever they want and if this is it, so be it. Personally, I'd find something more contructive to direct my internet outrage but to each their own.
aTm2004
AG
HeightsAg said:

blindey said:

HeightsAg said:

Here4Beer said:

HeightsAg said:

Let's take a look at your post...

Quote:

Gee, I wonder how your post could be seen as offensive, political, or directed at anyone. Hmm...maybe by essentially calling people who live in the suburbs racist or insinuating that any minority that lives in the suburbs have sold out to whitey.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
BQ78
AG
Bravo Ag CPA and with a San Diego reference too!

I don't get the offense or the argument going on but I will state I walk by the ARCH in Austin everyday to go to work (so I get out of white suburbia) and San Diego has an even bigger homeless problem than Austin (which also has a big one but today is a little mre subdued with the large drug bust the other day).
BQ78
AG
And anyone who does not see it as a problem, see:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-hepatitis-san-diego-20170911-story.html
Potcake
AG
Are y'all really still arguing over the suburbia thing? On the Travel board?
BQ78
AG
No posting facts about travel to San Diego on the Travel board.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am in Portland now, its worse now than it was a year ago, but for the most part they leave you alone, and if anything just ask for money. I always found the homeless in Chicago aggressive, I think I prefer my homeless entitled over aggressive.
Lone Stranger
Does San Diego have a "poop map" like San Francisco does to track where the biggest problems are from the homeless pooping on the streets and sidewalks?

LCE
AG
Wow. Watched the video. Had no idea it was so bad in San Diego
CDub06
AG
There are a lot of homeless in San Diego (and in every major city in California). If you're talking about coming as a tourist, you won't be overwhelmed by them in the Gaslamp District or Balboa Park.

The homeless population is much more "in your face" in places like Los Angeles, NYC and San Francisco.
permabull
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.