Scotland - December

604 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by whasty
texancanuck11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy,

My wife and I are heading to Scotland in December and are looking for some recommendations. We're staying in several bed & breakfasts around the country, so we will be able to see a lot of sights, attractions, etc. What are some can't miss places that we need to make sure we go to? We have the Storr, Loch Ness, and Eilean Donan Castle on the itinerary so far. Also Islay if we can make it work. What are some other places/hikes that would be good?

The other question is clothing. We're going to try to do some hiking and some outdoor things. We know it's december and will be cold, so do we need to take parkas and snow gear, or sweaters and waterproof outerlayers?

Thanks!
GigEmAgs15
AG
Stirling Castle is magnificent and lots of fun. Definitely pack more waterproof-friendly clothing, because, while it is cold, it's the precipitation that really affects you.
mike073
AG
Don't know about how the weather will be in December, but probably not real good. Stirling castle, the Glenturret distillery (Famous Grouse), Loch Ness and Ft. Augustus are all worth seeing.

The burial site at Clava Cairns and Cawdor Castle are quite interesting.

Blair castle is another well maintained relic. There are other distilleries all around but we found one was enough.

Edinburgh is actually very interesting to visit and of course, St. Andrews is the holy grail for golfers.
Gig 'em Aggies!

jja79
AG
Don't forget sun up is after 8AM and sun sets around 3:30PM
whasty
AG
I think the temperature will be bearable. My guess is between 35-45 each day. The wind and the rain may not. Definitely have solid rain gear. As just pointed out, you'll only have about 7 hours of daylight (less in the highlands). That's an issue. Also, check the schedule of places you want to visit, my guess is many are closed in the winter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.