Anyone travelling to see the eclipse on Monday?

1,397 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 07ag
HHAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be on a (long planned) business trip to Boise on Monday. Boise officials expect as many as 500,000 folks coming in to town for the eclipse. I doubt it, but hey, who knows? Anyone of you astronomy nerds going to see it?
Jock 07
AG
Planning on driving down to Beatrice NE, googlemaps tells me ~1.5 hr drive from here but with traffic who knows. Might just wind up pulling off the side of the road somewhere to watch it. Couldn't find any glasses though.
07ag
AG
yep, going to nashville for it,, fingers crossed the sky is clear!
ToddyHill
AG
I am staying put at our house as we're just inside the edge of totality. It appears the weather that day will be great. Wondering how those 86 seconds of totality will affect our chickens and horses. Guess I'll find out Monday at around 2:34 p.m.
histag10
AG
Was planning on heading to Casper, WY with the in-laws, but there have been some unforeseen issues come up. I will settle for the ~90% I will have here
Remember The Astrodome
AG
Heading to the Smokey Mountain NP from Houston. I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Clingmans Dome event.
The Pilot
AG
Depending on the exact time with either be in Denver or flying back to Dallas.
ToddyHill
AG
That is really exciting. I work on the edge of the Smoky Mountain National Park and there's a lot of excitement building. We've received a lot of rain the past couple of weeks...but the forecast for Monday is clear and sunny all day.

One suggestion...give yourself plenty of time to get to Clingman's Dome (I assume you're going up from the Tennessee side). 441 is a winding, curvy 2-lane...and the traffic up to Clingman's is going to be crazy. Kinda weird, but a co-worker told me yesterday the Park Service wants all traffic to stop (as in pull over) during the total eclipse.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
am going to an event at a TN State Park near Crossville, TN, on the Cumberland Trail. Going with friends from Chattanooga.
schmendeler
AG
I'm waiting for the one in seven years going by Austin.
chico
AG
road trip from Houston to Nashville - staying with family.
Hoping for cloudless skies....(this is the correct emoji)
CT75
AG
Driving north to Geneva NE ....have the prescribed glasses. Hoping for clear skies.
fourth deck
AG
As I was driving back to Greenville, SC on I-85 from a business meeting yesterday, my colleagues and I wondered what kind of wreckapocalypse it will be when totality crosses over the interstate on Monday.
Jock 07
AG
CT75 said:

Driving north to Geneva NE ....have the prescribed glasses. Hoping for clear skies.
I might actually wind up out there now, forecast isn't looking so hot for the eastern part of the state now
JSKolache
AG
If you can't find the cheapy glasses, beg borrow steal welding hood Shade 12 or darker.
Ernest Tucker
AG
Heading up to Nebraska as well. Wish we could get a Air Force Ag forecast for clouds on here
rjhtamu
AG
We planned to either go to Kansas City or Nashville depending on what the weather looked like at the last minute.
Now it's looking like Nashville.
Kool
AG
My son just got invited last night to go up to North Georgia and be out on a boat on a lake as the Totality occurs there. Have to say I am a bit jealous.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chico
AG
My daughter is camping in front of the grand Tetons. She is in the middle of the line of totality. I'm jealous also !
Matsui
AG
well
TriAg2010
AG
Absolutely spectacular. Got a solid 1-2 minutes of totallity in Oregon. Worth every minute I'm going to spend crawling home on I-5.
Jock 07
AG
Was an amazing sight from a cornfield outside of grand island NE. Pictures absolutely don't do it justice. Someone fired off fireworks at a nearby house during totality as well

chico
AG
A total blast in Nashville. At 100% was amazing, seeing the corona and flares. Cicadas chirped as it got dark. You could see a sunset coming towards you as it arrived. Well worth the trip
CT75
AG
Just in from Geneva Nebraska. About 1240 during the run up to totality the high clouds parted with nothing but blue sky. It was a truly amazing and indescribable sight. The sky and the corona was magnificent!
CT75
AG
....and you are correct...there are no filtered pictures that give you entire experience of totality. It is multisensory. Hell, we could see stars and Venus!
chico
AG
We saw Venus, but didn't notice stars. I guess Nashville had too much ambient light. Really cool experience.
schmendeler
AG
Took this with my iphone.

I held it up to the eye piece of my telescope.
Ernest Tucker
AG
Jock 07 said:

Was an amazing sight from a cornfield outside of grand island NE. Pictures absolutely don't do it justice. Someone fired off fireworks at a nearby house during totality as well

We were pretty close to each other Jock, I was at a farm just south of St Paul and heard those same fireworks go off.

Thanks for posting the pic, please put up any more if you have them as it closely resembles the experience I had
07ag
AG
image i took from my vantage point in carthage, tn

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.