Ireland in January?

611 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Spore Ag
jessie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Long story short, I am graduating in December and want to have a fun trip before I start work in the real world. Would going to Ireland in January be awful or no? Would probably rent a car and travel the country for a week. TIA.
Seven Costanza
AG
If the goal is seeing the countryside and whatnot, I would say it's a bad idea. The sun will rise around 8:40 and set around 4:20.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Is budget a big concern? How long do you have? If more than a week and not a terrible budget, consider New Zealand.

If money is in the equation, an interesting proposition might be morocco. Country is beautiful, safe, and roads are generally in good shape.
dcAg
I went in September/October and it was awesome. Literally 3 drops of rain over 10 days.
GigEmAgs15
AG
Ireland is breathtaking, but I wouldn't rent a car. My friend and I got to see basically the whole country (and lots of Northern Ireland) by taking trains and buses. Driving on the left side is very difficult, and you won't be able to drink as much Guinness as if you don't go with public transportation.
Pendragon12
AG
GigEmAgs15 said:

Ireland is breathtaking, but I wouldn't rent a car. My friend and I got to see basically the whole country (and lots of Northern Ireland) by taking trains and buses. Driving on the left side is very difficult, and you won't be able to drink as much Guinness as if you don't go with public transportation.
Eh disagree. I drove myself and my parents around for a week, and while it was difficult at first, there was a ton we saw that would have been difficult without a personal vehicle.

But to each their own. Renting a car is not cheap in Ireland.
jessie
Budget isn't a concern, I've just alway wanted to go to Ireland. But now that you mention it maybe New Zealand would be a better choice!
jessie
Thank you all for your input!!
dcAg
Absolutely rent a car. It took me 10 minutes to get used to it. Not difficult at all. And if I hadn't driven I would have missed a ton of great things that we decided to stop and see or take a detour to see.

It would be a waste to not drive.
Tree Hugger
AG
I'll also chime in that driving is no big deal, even with a standard I didn't really have issues.
Spore Ag
Stayed in Adair the 1st of December. Short days and more windy cold. Really not a problem. I like driving a standard but sometimes the sequential round abouts can be tiring so I do automatics now. Also make note of the Stop- Start mechanism.
Dublin rent a car area has some back road areas where you can familize yourself with driving.
There are also tolls to be dealt with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.