How fast can you get a passport?

1,961 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by watty
aeroag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Leave for honeymoon next Monday (8/21). My fiance realized his morning that she has misplaced her purse (which had her passport in it).

We already have an appointment at the Houston passport office at 7:30 in the morning tomorrow, which was the earliest possible appointment. How quickly can they get a passport back out to someone? The lady at the scheduling center said it was dependent on the local office (Houston in this case) and that they would do what they could to accommodate our schedule but that there were no guarantees.

How quickly should we expect them to be able to turn around and get a passport back out to us?
rtimber
You're looking at 2-3 weeks minimum.
Peter Klaven
AG
If you can show proof of travel they can expedite the request and get you a passport within 72 hours. You'll pay an extra $75 fee but should otherwise be fine.

Source: I just did this about a month ago.
aeroag14
AG
Peter Klaven said:

If you can show proof of travel they can expedite the request and get you a passport within 72 hours. You'll pay an extra $75 fee but should otherwise be fine.

Source: I just did this about a month ago.

We can show proof of travel. This is what I was hoping for! Thanks for the quick response.
aeroag14
AG
Will an Airline receipt (with dates and times of travel) and the confirmation from our resort be sufficient to meet the proof of international travel?
rtimber
not a chance, pal
aeroag14
AG
rtimber said:

not a chance, pal
What does that mean?
BSD
AG
If you have that appointment, you'll be fine. Just be prepared to wait all day and then come back. They only do same day for people leaving the next day. I posted about my experience last summer. See if you can search for that. Airline and hotel confirms will be fine.
aeroag14
AG
BSD said:

If you have that appointment, you'll be fine. Just be prepared to wait all day and then come back. They only do same day for people leaving the next day. I posted about my experience last summer. See if you can search for that. Airline and hotel confirms will be fine.
Thank you!

Much appreciated!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I got a same day passport in 2010. The gate agent in Healthrow accidentally tore the picture page of mine and I was leaving again the next Tuesday. I made an appointment for Monday at 9:00 am and had a new passport by 3:00PM. It was the Dallas Agency and I used a letter on company letter head saying I was leaving the country.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
I am told that Houston is the only city in Texas with a facility which allows a person to get a passport on the same day it is requested.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
histag10
AG
I love the random rookie on here giving horrible advice.
UmustBKidding
When they tell you to come back by 3pm you better be there at 245 at the latest. At 3 the door will be locked and no one in site.
Also you will like also have the standard prerequisites in hand like a certified copy of.the birthday certificate in hand even if its a replacement.
TriAg2010
AG
I've had a new passport issued in 24 hours from the Houston office. It's expensive and takes a few hours of waiting, but it can be done. Good luck.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It's not that expensive compared to the rest of your vacation, I believe it was $110 for the passport, $60 to expedite and another $75 for the same day
FHKPLEX03
AG
I showed up at Houston passport office with no appointment and 2.5 hours later walked out with my replacement. Drove straight to airport and caught my flight. YMMV. It can be done. Just be the first in the door. Be polite (not a frantic or rude person, I saw plenty of those). It helps if you have an older, previously expired passport you can bring, otherwise you might need copy of birth certificate, not 100% sure on that. Before you get there you can download and complete the forms for lost passport and replacement passport. That will save you 5 minutes and several positions in queue.
FHKPLEX03
AG
Also I did this in January of 2017 so my experience is recent. I also happened to already have 2 passport photos which you'll need. Get those done at CVS or Walgreens tonight. You'll need to know all the usual info like mother and father DOB and city of birth. If for some reason you don't have printouts of your flight info they have an email address you can send your itinerary to from your phone.
FHKPLEX03
AG
There's a pay by the hour parking lot near the building you can use. You'll find it on Google maps by searching for "parking". Metal detector security to get into the building. They discourage taking the elevator up to the floor of the passport office prior to 7:30 but if you're low key you can do it and get ahead of some of the others. No drinks or food allowed in the office. Also no phones out so bring a book or something.
62strat
AG
TriAg2010 said:

I've had a new passport issued in 24 hours from the Houston office. It's expensive and takes a few hours of waiting, but it can be done. Good luck.
why does op need same day? Standard expedite with travel documents will get you a passport in a day or two. You can call and make an appt at office and it takes hardly any time.
helloag99
So he can quit worrying and enjoy his wedding!

I Play With Guns
S
Was she wasted when she lost her purse? And why was she just casually carrying around her passport?
TriAg2010
AG
62strat said:

TriAg2010 said:

why does op need same day? Standard expedite with travel documents will get you a passport in a day or two. You can call and make an appt at office and it takes hardly any time.

1. The question was "how quickly can they get a passport back out to someone?" In my experience, they can do 24 hour delivery. It wasn't "what's the slowest service I can order and still get it on-time."

2. The office isn't open from 12 am to midnight, so 24 hour return is effectively next-day or "in a day" depending on your perspective.
Petrino1
Last year I left my passport in a hotel in another state and was flying from Houston to the Caribbean the next day. I showed up to the houston passport agency downtown during lunch time (no appointment) with all of my paperwork, 2 passport photos, and proof of itinerary. I had my passport 2-3 hours later and flew out later that afternoon.

Be sure to go online and print/fill out all of the paperwork you will need. I believe theres 2 forms you will need to fill out for a lost passport. This will save a lot of time and hassle, everyone in line in front of me didnt bring their paperwork and had to leave the line and fill everything out. Also, as mentioned above, go to CVS or Walgreens asap and get the 2 passport photos and have your proof of itinerary ready. You should be fine!
aeroag14
AG
I Play With Guns said:

Was she wasted when she lost her purse? And why was she just casually carrying around her passport?

No. And of what importance is that to you?/ What does that have to do with the need for a replacement?
aeroag14
AG
Thanks for the help everyone! She was there at 7:30 this morning and out by 8 am. No passport in hand yet but it is supposed to be issued later today!

Thanks again. The help was very much appreciated.

As others have mentioned, having an expired passport was very helpful and made things a lot easier!
watty
AG
aeroag14 said:

Thanks for the help everyone! She was there at 7:30 this morning and out by 8 am. No passport in hand yet but it is supposed to be issued later today!

Thanks again. The help was very much appreciated.

As others have mentioned, having an expired passport was very helpful and made things a lot easier!

I'm in the same boat, I have my expired passport and need a renewal in hand in a week. Do I need to bring anything else besides the old passport?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.