Italy - When to use tour guide and when to DIY?

1,805 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXTransplant
12thAngryMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are about a month out from our Italy trip so I'd like to finalize what all we are using tour guides for vs. just booking tickets and winging it. I've heard good things on this board about Rick Steve's audio guides for the Vatican for example. I'm just curious if you can find similar audio guides for most major attractions, or if it is worth it to book tour guides. We'll be visiting Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, and the Amalfi Coast over the course of two weeks and are open to sites in between each (e.g., Assisi, Naples/Pompeii, Capri, etc.). I recognize that a trip like this is a once in a lifetime type event so I don't want to pinch pennies, but $50-150 tours do start to add up. Thus, I'd probably like to do a mix of self-serve and guided if possible. Any and all input is much appreciated.
aggiegal99
Food tours are worth the money. When traveling in Europe, I want to be adventurous and try local foods, but if I can't speak or read the language, it's impossible. A good food tour breaks down this barrier, and makes exploring the food culture much easier and more enjoyable.

I love Rick Steves. The nice thing about touring on your own with his guidebooks are you can totally be self-paced. Linger somewhere longer if you want. Stop in a cool bar for a drink if you want. His walking tours of city neighborhoods are very detailed and interesting. The Jewish Ghetto walk in Rome stands out in my memory as being particularly good.
helloag99
Are you Catholic?
TXTransplant
The Colosseum is definitely worth a guided tour, especially if you pick one of the companies that is allowed to go to the "basement" and the very top level. Standard admission, and even some tour companies, are not allowed to do this. We used Walks of Italy (who also offers a night tour of the Colosseum).

A guided tour of the Vatican Museums is worth it, if for no other reason than you don't have to stand in line for your tickets. It may still be very crowded, though. However, it's very easy to go to the top of the Dome on your own, and I wouldn't choose to do a guided tour of the Basilica, either.

Our visit to Pompeii was also guided, but I've read the Rick Steves' guide is excellent. Just don't go with nothing, otherwise you aren't likely to know what you are looking at.

All of our time in Amalfi, Positano, and Capri was with a group. Even if you don't have a guide with you at all times, I definitely wouldn't try to drive around the Amalfi Coast. Traffic is crazy. We did have quite a bit of "on our own time" in Capri, and a guide definitley isn't necessary once you get there. I really liked Capri; that was a highlight of the trip for me. Highly recommend taking a small boat (private or small group) out into the Med for a swim.
cadetjay02
AG
It may be too late, but we did the necropolis tour under St. Peter's Basilica. It's guided and then you go straight in with no line. We did the Rick Steve's audio once we got inside.

Also did Rick Steve's at the Colosseum and Forum. A guided tour would be cool, but we got plenty on info listening to Rick. If you like art, check out the Borghese Gallery, just rent the audio tour there.

Guided food tours sound sweet!
12thAngryMan
AG
nimrodag99 said:

Are you Catholic?
Protestant, but still appreciate Catholic sites
redsox34
AG
Absolutely do a food tour! I went in June and had a blast. It was more than just food too. The tour guide was very informed (and very entertaining) about the history of Rome and we would stop pretty often for him to point things out. I think it was 3-4 hours total full of food, wine, expression, and gelato.
dcbowers
AG
Last September, I did a full day Walks of Italy tour of Rome on my first day in the city. Great way to get oriented to the city. Definitely recommend. To
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wiggletrace
AG
Download the Rick Steves app and use the audio tours. They are excellent.

We spent 3 weeks in Italy in 2013, and agree with what others said about food and wine tours.

I HIGHLY recommend renting a small boat on your own and cruising along the Amalfi coast. It's beautiful, relaxing, and a great "less" touristy way to explore. Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast were our favorite stops which included Venice, Florence, Chianti Region (for wine and relaxation), Rome, Ponza, Sorrento, Capri, and Naples/Pompeii.

My family are Italian immigrants from the island of Ponza. If you make time to spend a day and night there, it's worth it. It's a tiny island and some of the best boating your can do. Ferries leave out from Lazio and Formia. I'd recommend a hydrofoil from Lazio as it's faster, but either is fine.
HamptonTomatoes
AG
I second Rick Steves. His walking tours are great. We also bought his Italy book which gives maps and a ton of suggestions on hotels, restaurants, activities for all cities you are going to.
12thAngryMan
AG
Do y'all remember which food tour(s) you did specifically? I've seen pretty great reviews for the Testaccio Supper Stroll in Rome through Eating Italy Food Tours. Is that one anyone can personally recommend?
CoreAg86
AG
If you want to tour the Vatican (which you definitely need to do), please go to Trip Advisor and reserve your tour as soon as you can commit to a date and time. You do not want to spend hours of your precious vacation standing in line. I was there last week Saturday and our tour group walked past THOUSANDS of people standing in line and we were in there in less than five minutes. The tour group had transistor radios that allowed you to listen to your guide who walks you through the Vatican museum, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peters' Basilica and the square. You don't have to be Catholic to appreciate this city as I saw lots of Muslims and other disciplines touring the facility. Being Lutheran, I am fairly close to being a Catholic. I hope you enjoy your stay in Rome as I was only there for one day since our Princess cruise ended Saturday morning and I was on a plane back to Houston the very next day.
RAT90
AG
Would y'all mind listing specific company names of tours and travel co pang? A couple of you have, but it would be helpful place for us to start our planning with your recommendations. Thanks.

There are lots of travel companies and we are overwhelmed right now trying to choose one. TIA
bugle rank '87
AG
We used Tauck and absolutely loved them. Using them again In June.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
TXCityAggie
AG
I don't use a tour guide very often, but I did in Pompeii and it was well worth it. I can't remember the name of the guy, but I found him with Trip Advisor.

TXTransplant
We did part of our trip with Adventures By Disney (great experience, but it's pricey). We were on our own in Rome and used a company called Walks of Italy. I can't say enough wonderful things about them. They offer tours all over Italy, including the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, and Florence (which were places we toured with Adventures By Disney). I wouldn't hesitate to use Walks of Italy on any tour (I've also used their Walks of New York branch, and they were equally awesome).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.