Houston to London on British Airways seat question

2,107 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 78669AG
BQ_2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My girlfriend and I are traveling to Munich in October and the long leg stops in London. We are on a Boeing 777-200 (772). With it being British Airways, we have to pay to choose our seats unless we wait until 24 hours before check in. We are thinking of two options, the first being exit row and the second being the last row of the plane (only row with two seats instead of three). Looking at seat guru, the exit row "window" seat has a protrusion of the exit door that restricts leg room. We are both only 5'6" and 5'4" so I don't think that would be an issue but I'm not 100% certain. Other issues are the tv and tray pulls out from the arm rest. The last row concerns are obviously being to last row and close to the restrooms and galley. Do any of y'all have advice on what we should pick?
TXAGFAN
AG
Huh...who knew people who were 5'6" even thought about these things.

It's doubtful you are the only people not paying for a seat assignment so get on right at 24 hours on your two computers, not same, and pick seats.
aTm2004
AG
I had a horse jockey sit next to me in the middle seat on a flight to Vegas. He seemed to be happy with the amount of room he had. I think you'll be OK.
DallasAggie89
AG
BQ_2010 said:

Looking at seat guru, the exit row "window" seat has a protrusion of the exit door that restricts leg room.

Do your feet even touch the ground when sitting?
BQ_2010
AG
Man y'all are hilarious. Thanks for the help.
SW AG80
AG
Don't know how much it would cost to get the seats assigned early, but I would pay the extra amount. If you have crappy seats on the long leg, it gets your trip off to a bad start. Hard enough to sleep on a plane without things being more uncomfortable than they have to be.
aggiesarah2004
AG
My husband and I flew from Austin to London in June and paid for the last row with the two seats. It was worth it for the extra storage space between the window and the seat.
TXAGFAN
AG
Deleted post, was being an a-hole.

Have a great trip, flights are the worst part of any trip. Don't sit by bathroom, it's not the same on an international flight as a domestic. Weird people just mill around the bathrooms and they can smell.

Get some good earplugs and eye mask.
HeightsAg
Definitely do the exit row rather than last row on the plane. The protrusion is minimal and unless you are super tall, it won't affect you. Those exit row seats on 777s are the best economy seats on the plane. They have unlimited leg room and you can get up and stretch and use the restroom anytime you want without bothering anyone.

On the other hand, last row on the plane typically have limited recline and is right by the restrooms and galleys so no thanks. And being the last ones off a plane with 300 people and having to go though customs sucks. Lastly, for those exit row seats, select window and aisle and hope no one books the middle seat. And if someone does, they will gladly swap with one of you two.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BQ_2010 said:

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Munich in October and the long leg stops in London. We are on a Boeing 777-200 (772).

We are both only 5'6" and 5'4"

Other issues are the tv and tray pulls out from the arm rest. The last row concerns are obviously being to last row and close to the restrooms and galley. Do any of y'all have advice on what we should pick?
Wow. I haven't been 5'6" since maybe 7th grade. Count your lucky stars in Economy Class.

Seriously though, check out seatguru.com for detailed descriptions of the seats you're after.

You DO NOT want the seats in the very last row. On a long flight, the restrooms can start to smell and/or just the foot traffic and the folks waiting around to access the restrooms can be annoying. The other thing is that in the back of the aircraft is where you get the biggest roller coaster like ride. The closer to the front, the less bounce you get during turbulence.

You'll have to figure out exactly which version of the 777-200 you're on. According to seatguru, BA flies 3 different versions. The exit row seats you're talking about are in Row 26. Having the tray and the entertainment fold out from the armrest isn't that big of a deal. But, there will be hard separation between the seats in case you were planning on a little snuggling under the blanket. The only real downside to the armrest based tray and entertainment is that you have to stow them during take off and landing so, you miss out on maybe an extra 30 minutes worth of entertainment.

At Eric Murphy (Entourage) height, you obviously don't need the leg room (I'm 6'3") so I wouldn't worry about the exit row. But let me tell you about the partially obstructed window seat in Row 26. I've sat there on Cathay Pacific before and I wised up since then. The deal is that the escape slide/raft bulges into the leg area for a tall person sitting in the window seat. I won't sit there again if I can avoid it.

As you look at the seats on seatguru, one other thing to note is the location of the bassinets. You'll want to be a good 4-5 rows away from the screaming baby zone - just in case. Obviously bring your noise cancelling headphones but they're not as effective if you're within 5 rows of screaming baby.

BA has the 3-3-3 configuration in Economy so, one HollywoodBQ trick you could try is to get both you and your girlfriend in an Aisle/Window or Aisle/Aisle with an empty middle seat between you. Worst case, if somebody winds up in the middle seat between you, just ask them to switch with one of you for the Aisle (or Window) which they'll likely jump at the chance to get out of the middle seat.

One last thing, the overhead bins in the center section of the aircraft are gigantic so you'll have plenty of room to store your stuff (assuming you can reach them of course). Seriously though, if you look closely on the seat, you'll see that there is actually a step built into the seat to allow short Japanese/Singaporean flight attendants to be able to stand on the seat and close the overhead bins.

I just remembered one other reason that HollywoodBQ doesn't sit in the back of the bus anymore. When they serve you food, at the front of the cabin, they'll have all three choices available. By the time they've got through 20-30 rows of Economy Class, they'll undoubtedly have run out of the meal you want and you'll be stuck with the fish or the chicken or curry or whatever.

In summary, here's what I'd do if I were you. Go online and reserve both aisle seats in the center section about 5 rows from the start of Economy Class. So, if this was your configuration, I'd choose 31D and 31F and hope nobody signs up for 31E. Enjoy your trip!

FbgTxAg
AG
You laugh but.... some people have to fly across oceans in coach.

I did it once. It inspired me to make more money or not go again.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

In summary, here's what I'd do if I were you. Go online and reserve both aisle seats in the center section about 5 rows from the start of Economy Class. So, if this was your configuration, I'd choose 31D and 31F and hope nobody signs up for 31E.
this may be the best advice you'll ever get. If end up with a seat mate, you still have direct access to the aisle and so does the seat mate without having to crawl all over you or vice versa.
Matsui
AG
EOT
ClickClack
AG
Old School Brother
Hollywood knows what he's talking about. At your height, you don't need the legroom and those hard dividers between seats can get annoying on long flights....also, in those exit seats, it basically gains you nothing if you choose the window-aisle or aisle-aisle seats and nobody ends up in the center seat.
78669AG
its the joke chill out - laugh a little fellas

While the joke can be funny, a lot of people aren't as fortunate as many of the people on here and we should be a little more sensitive. Just the opportunity to travel sometimes is enough- Thx staff
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.