Punta Cana vs Antigua

4,328 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
RynoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to book our honeymoon next spring for the soon to be wife and I. Think we have narrowed it down to Secrets Cap Cana Punta Cana and Sandals Grande Antigua.

I have stayed at a Secrets resort before and it was excellent, but no first hand experience with Sandals. Any feedback on either of these two locations or resorts? We are looking for adult only, all inclusive. relaxing beach vacation.

TIA!
Ag_07
AG
Is that Sandals adults only?

Regardless, look into Cocobay Resort in Antigua. We did our honeymoon there and it was absolutely amazing.
RynoAg
AG
Yes, Sandals Grande Antigua is actually a couples only resort.

Thanks for the rec. I'll check it out!
dsharp90
AG
I second Cocobay Resort.

When we took a cruise around Antigua on a boat they did a beach pick up in front of Sandals. The beach was absolutely packed since there aren't any "private" beaches on the island. We stayed at Cocobay this March for our honeymoon and it was absolutely amazing, there was hardly anyone around on the beach.
gigemaggies88
Cocos hotel antiqua.. it Is a resort stayed last year it was great... punts cana dr has been out least fav place we have been and will not go back
Ken Adams
AG
Another vote for Cocobay. Honeymooned there in May. You're probably going to get two opposite experiences between Sandals and Cocobay (or most of the resorts on the island) so it depends what you're looking for. The main differences being the number of guests and overall privacy. Check out tripadvisor reviews and you'll get a good idea of Cocobay from reviews and pictures.
78669AG
Dude sandalls all the way - wife and i went to the one in Grenada for ours and the frequent Sandals goers said Antigua was the best one
MrJonMan
AG
Stayed at Sandals Antigua for our honeymoon 2 years ago, would go back for sure.
HSEAG13
Stayed at excellence punta Cana. On our way to our resort we had to stop at the secrets cap Cana. I wouldn't recommend it from the aesthetics but that is just me. I'd listen to others and do cocobay
Endo Ag
AG
Gally Bay Antigua is as good as it gets, and they've had some good sales recently. We're trying Punta Cana in the spring, so we'll let you know.
Gigemchicken90
AG
My nephew and his wife went to Sandals in Antigua this past summer for their honeymoon, they said the beach was nice and the food was decent but it was too commercialized, they rush you through dinner and everyone just kind of goes through the motions. They said they would go back to Antigua but stay at a different resort. Everyone on the island raved about Jumby Bay. The stingray city is something you need to see if you end up in Antigua.
'90
ATL Aggie
AG
I am planning a 2nd honeymoon. Cocobay has come up as an option. How is the food?

Is Antigua an island worth exploring or do you spend all your time at the resort?
Ag_07
AG
Food was great. It was surprising for an AI but it was one of our favorite parts.

There isn't a whole lot to do but there are some excursions. We spent a day walking around St Johns shopping and had lunch. We also spent a day on the Wadadli Cats Circumnavigation Tour (highly recommend and it's a must-do if you ask me). There are also a bunch of different beach public beaches around the island you can get cab rides to. I'm sure there are other excursions like fishing trips, dive trips, or day trips to Moneserat but we didn't do any of those.

Pepper Brooks
AG
We stayed at the sandals in Antigua 3 years ago for the honeymoon and would go back. It was commercialized but we never felt rushed. We typically prefer to sit by the pool with books and a constant stream of adult beverages. They did not disappoint.

They had a courtesy tennis pro on site as well which we really enjoyed.
AustinCountyAg
We loved our stay at excellence PC. Always said we would go back to another excellence property. Just hasn't worked out yet
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.