Grand Lake, CO

1,537 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggie orbitalwelder
Aggie Pharmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are going up to Grand Lake next week for a mini-getaway before our oldest starts kindergarten.

Has anyone been there before? Anything we should do or not miss out on?

Thanks!
The Lost
You're not far from Rocky Mountain National Park. So you could either do a short hike, or with the young one do one of the scenic drives.
Josepi
AG
Assuming it's open, the drive on Hwy 34 to Estes park is supposed to be one of the prettier drives in the country
Bitter Old Man
AG
Trail Ridge Road (the road to Estes) should be open well into October, so definitely do that. There is a Visitor Center at the Top, with a very short hike to the Summit. Its more like a sidewalk with stairs, but at that altitude it feels like a hike.

There are typical touristy things to do in Grand Lake. I cant point you to anything in particular.

The headwaters of the Colorado River (the Grand Canyon one) are nearby in Granby, I thought that was cool.

RMNP is the jewel up there. There is more wildlife on the Grand Lake side of the park.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I remember when I was in Granby back in 2006, I heard a story that a moose attacked and trampled the former mayor to death. Rude moose. It is a beautiful area, though.

Edit: Didn't die, just severely injured. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=granby+mayor+moose&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

Aggie Pharmer
AG
Thanks everyone!
thisguy05
AG
Grand Lake is awesome. Enjoy!
JohnM88
Definitely make the drive to Estes Park and also visit RMNP. It's beautiful. There are some easy trails a 5 yo can handle. We took our son when he was about 6 and he hiked miles every day. He loved it and still loves the outdoors to this day. Great to expose the kids to our National Parks at a young age.
JSKolache
AG
Driven through there, from Estes. Gorgeous little town.
HockeyAg07
AG
Grand Pizza is gooood. Also Sagebrush Grill is pretty good too...kinda Texas Roadhouse-y.

Was there a few weeks ago and they had finally re-opened one of the mini-golf courses in town. The kiddo might enjoy that. Have fun and relax! We love it up there.
dodger02
AG
We contemplated staying in Grand Lake vs. Estes Park this summer. We decided on Estes Park.

Take Trail Ridge Road from west to east across RMNP. Stop and enjoy the sites, find some good hikes along the way. It's really worth it. Keep an eye out for wildlife.

On the way back, take Old Fall River Road from east to west. It's a one-way dirt road that follows the original route used to cross the mountains. That route provides a different perspective on your way back.

Head out early in the morning and return later in the evening for best wildlife viewing, especially for bighorn sheep at Sheep Lakes near the Old Fall River Road entry.
BQ2001
AG
IMO the Grand Lake side of RMNP is the better side. Lots more wildlife to be seen. Cascade Falls is a pretty easy hike and real close to Grand Lake (you can see it from the trailhead). Valley Trail is a nice easy one too where you have a chance to see elk.
aggie orbitalwelder
We rented a pontoon boat on Lake Granby had a great time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.