Fall destinations for families with small children

1,565 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GigEmAgs15
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We haven't had time to go anywhere this summer with our 4 yr old and 2 yr old girls so most likely it'll be a late fall trip. Any ideas for a possible destination? Open to international too. Thanks.
ryanhnc10
AG
Smoky Mountains? Close enough to a few cities that have some fun / touristy stuff for kids, plenty of short to medium length hikes, several of the major sights are drivable, and it's very pretty during fall foliage.
dcbowers
AG
I have to ask-- is this for them or is this for you?

If this is for them, then go to one of the Hyatt resorts, highway 30-A in the Florida panhandle, or an Aggie game (the obvious answer here). The effort to get passports for your kids to fly international only to put them through jet lag is not worth it, and they will not remember it.

If this is for you, then send the kids to grandparents and enjoy a well-deserved vacation with your wife (either domestic or international).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ReloadAg
AG
It's definitely for the entire family. The wife and I got away together a few weeks ago so we're good there.
kwammer
DisneyWorld. Bonus that 2 and under get in for free.
ReloadAg
AG
Is Disney any cheaper in the offseason?
kwammer
definitely cheaper and so much less crowded, especially during the week, as most kids/families are in school.
If you can go during October, they have a Halloween party on various night. If between Thanksgiving and Christmas when the lights are up, it is fantastic.

Some will argue 2 is too young, but we took our daughter at that age and she had a great time. Just plan afternoon naps/pool time and it will be fine. I'd suggest it would be much more relaxing/rewarding than taking 4 and 2-yr olds overseas.
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks. Yea I think we've ruled out an overseas trip at this point. It just wouldn't be relaxing at all ha.
Post removed:
by user
ReloadAg
AG
Did that late last summer actually and it was spectacular! We have quite a bit of family up there. I'm so jealous of their weather up there in July and August. We did Traverse City and Mackinac Island.
Heisenberg01
AG
Agree with Smoky Mountains. Rented a cabin near Gatlinburg. Kids loved the hills, theme parks, hot tub, etc. Knoxville is convenient to fly into and has plenty to do and see in its own right. Foliage is great if timed right and area is not in drought.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Also agree with Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains.

See my other post about our recent trip.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2868909
ReloadAg
AG
What about flying into Boston and spending a couple of days there before driving New England to see some fall colors and exploring a bit?
a07nathanb
AG
ReloadAg said:

driving New England to see some fall colors and exploring a bit?

I'm sure your 84 and 82 year old will enjoy that

Someone told me a few years ago that anywhere I take my kid they'll think it's cool as long as there is a pool. Now that my son is 6 I realized they were right. We've done Disney and couldn't stand the excitement and this year did a New Mexico road trip. He thought the La Quinta in San Angelo was fun
ReloadAg
AG
Haha yea you're right. There's a lot of cool stuff in New England for kids believe it or not.
TennAg
Agree about the 30A recommendation. Late Septemberish is basically the perfect time to go.

Also, Disney puts up the lights in early November, pretty hard to beat the weather at that time.
Sooner Born
a07nathanb said:

ReloadAg said:

driving New England to see some fall colors and exploring a bit?

I'm sure your 84 and 82 year old will enjoy that

bufrilla
AG
Disney World slow period is the 3 weeks after Labor Day and the 3 weeks following Thanksgiving.
Less people, as far as prices, the accommodation are cheaper. Especially at resorts off property.
GigEmAgs15
AG
Disney World! Plus it'll be the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, so fun for the parents, too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.