DC restaurant recs?

1,279 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cr
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be there this fall and recommendations are much appreciated.
Smokin Chisel
AG
We were there in June and have a couple favorites from the trip. I don't know if you are looking for casual or high end? We celebrated a special occasion while we were there at Joes Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab. It is near the White House in a beautiful historic bank. It was excellent. Near the capitol we enjoyed We the Pizza, a pizza by the slice sidewalk cafe. Also Pizzeria Paradiso just off DuPont Circle was a nice cafe with outdoor seating and a unique beer menu.
cr
Thanks
Wolfman03
AG
Jaleo - Spanish Tapas - owned by Chef Jose Andres. Select nights they also offer a walking progressive dinner where you have different courses at their different nearby restaurants.

Zaytinya - Greek - same owner as Jaleo. This would be a better lunch spot.

The Bombay Club - Traditional style Indian

Rasika - Indian - this is modern/fancy Indian and gets a lot of praise. Same owners as Bombay Club, which I prefer over Rasika.

The Iron Gate - Mediterranean. Really nice patio dining in the back.

Joe's has already been mentioned and I agree - very good. I would recommend ethnic food first when in a city like D.C., but you will be happy with Joe's.

Toro Toro - great happy hour and prices, but get there early. It gets packed right after work with a younger crowd. We ended up migrating to Pennsylvania 6 to finish happy hour where it was less crowded.

Proof - New American - very good and nice atmosphere

Flight Wine Bar - great wines and bites

The Alibi - British pub

Skip Old Ebbit Grill. I don't understand the hype for the food. There are way too many delicious restaurants in Washington to eat here. If you want the historical experience, then stop in just for a drink.
Ags03
AG
We really enjoyed David Chang's restaurant, Momo***u at 11th St and I St
SquirrellyDan
AG
Although I agree with the above poster on some aspects of Old Ebbit, they do have one of the best Happy Hour food deals in the city. From 4-7 (i think) their seafood tower is half off (normally $100) and it's awesome. They do HH on weekends, too.
cr
primomosquito said:

Although I agree with the above poster on some aspects of Old Ebbit, they do have one of the best Happy Hour food deals in the city. From 4-7 (i think) their seafood tower is half off (normally $100) and it's awesome. They do HH on weekends, too.

hmm... called them and they said HH is 3-6 and only for oysters. are you thinking of someone else?
Big Bucks
AG
Joe's and Marcel's are my favorites but I really like BLT as well.
Bert315
AG
We enjoyed Found Farmers as well which is north of the White House a few blocks.
leanderag82
AG
I was just in DC last month. Agree with other posters about Joe's. Joe's was best meal & service of the trip. Also enjoyed La Perla for italian. I did enjoy Old Ebbit Grill for lunch, but would not say it would be great spot for dinner.
Jock 07
AG
Went to the sovereign the other night and thought it was pretty good. Excellent beer selection if you're a fan of Belgium beer. Apparently they're a zawnzee day host as well
SquirrellyDan
AG
garc said:

primomosquito said:

hmm... called them and they said HH is 3-6 and only for oysters. are you thinking of someone else?
It's definitely Old Ebbits. I'd try calling back and asking specifically about the Seafood Tower....the person you spoke to may have meant the HH is only for the raw bar. Wasn't sure about the hours, so 3-6 sounds right.
HECUBUS
AG
Lift driver suggested Ben's Chili Bowl.
HECUBUS
AG
Don Lobos Mexican - a taste of home after a week and a half on the road. Compared to our local eateries:

1) Los Palomas
2) Don Lobos
3) Maudie's
4) Lupe Tortilla

It's a little less hot and a little better quality than Austin Tex-Mex. My wife said the top shelf margarita was good.
HECUBUS
AG
We didn't end up eating out much. We had a suite with a full kitchen and a Whole Foods near the Metro station by our hotel. The kids missed home cooking. One more day here, but after a visit to the archives, there isn't much more on the list.
Jock 07
AG
ben's chili bowl is good, but a bit overrated. Good people watching at the original location on u though, especially later at night.
JSKolache
AG
lots of threads on this subject if you run a search. Good recs in most of them.
GigEmAgs15
AG
Zaytinya is delicious and pretty central. Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian also has great food options, something different to try if you're on the Mall.
cr
Back from DC...

My top two were Sequoia and Founding Farmers. Sequoia was perfect all around. Highly recommend both of them.

La Perla is above average.

Old Ebbitt is overrated imo. I would not recommend.

Ben's Chili Bowl is a novelty more than anything.

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.