Port A beach house

2,321 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mike073
SoTheySay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
We have a home under contract in Port A. The current owner hasn't done a lot to keep it rented (didn't really care to) and the decor is less than impressive. We are working to improve that and revamp the whole thing.

Is there something that stood out for you in a previous rental as not great or something you were relieved to have?

This home should sleep 10-14.
Premium
AG
Link to house?
Matsui
AG
Pool and ocean toys
Fresh paint in house
New furniture
Fresh linens and toiletries
New tv and audio stuff
Ocean themed decor or fresh light decor
New kitchen appliances and silverware
Outdoor paint and cleanliness

People want to go to a place better than their own
TXTransplant
I just stayed in an Airbnb in Oahu, and it had one of those keypad locks. So no key to keep up with. Owner just texted me the code right before we checked in. It was super convenient (and the first rental I've stayed in where I didn't have to carry around a key).
SoTheySay
S
I so agree on "better than their own". The last condo I rented was so EASY and fresh and clean and I legit did not want to leave.

We have plans to paint furniture and reupholster some and replace some then will continue replacing. More ocean decor is in the works. Fresh paint will be coming between rentals at the end of August and November. I'm not sure what the TV/audio situation is but will have my husband dig into that. New linens are definitely happening. The appliances are all white and in good shape. It's not what I would have picked but I intend to deck out the kitchen otherwise as far as necessities and such so hopefully that makes up for it.

I will post photos later. I don't want to piss off the owner or anything. It's owned by a single man and it screams more... Golden Girls... than the feel I want. (I love the GG, don't get me wrong - but this isn't what I'm going after!)
SoTheySay
S
Yes! We definitely have plans for something along those lines. I'm not sure what is there now but the code is happening when it's ours.
Matsui
AG
Sounds like a place that isn't updated and still living in the 1980s/1990s.
CS78
We rent beach rentals pretty regular. Outside shower is nice and helps to cut down on sand getting inside. Same for having a convenient place to hang stuff like beach towels to dry. If mosquitos are a problem then a screen enclosure before going in the main entrance is nice. I like having a nice gas grill. Good ceiling fans help to cut down on your electric bill and help some people sleep. Cold AC is a must have. Spend all day in the sun and come back to a hot house= not coming back. Plenty of trashcan space with good thick bags. Curtains that can be set to block out most light if someone wants.
SoTheySay
S
The home was built in 2003 but the decor is more 80s. Think red/green/brown palm tree decor and wicker. It WILL be cute when I'm done with it.

I love the idea of an outside shower. I'll look into this. Definitely already thought of the towel hanging. We have a great spot for one inside and out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
We rent a house in Gulf Shores every other summer. Here are our musts:
1) Clean
2) Clean
3) Clean
4) Furnishings that are reasonably new . This kind of feeds into 1-3 above. Doesn't have to be the fanciest furniture - beach house style is perfectly fine. But make sure the cushions are kept in good shape and replaced as needed.
5) Well maintained from properly functioning appliances to paint being kept up, etc. We use the washer and dryer quite a bit when at the beach, so making sure you have a decent quality combo that can handle quite a bit of use is important.
6) All bedding that has been cleaned/changed since the last guest, including comforter/quilt. If it makes more sense to buy a comforter shells like hotels have, so be it.
7) Properly functioning outside shower. Maybe some big rubber buckets that can be stationed outside the each door to help clean feet right before you go in.
8) Good stock of decent quality shower towels

Beckdiesel03
AG
We rent a condo every year and my biggest problem is having all the kitchen supplies I need. Sharp knives, decent pots and pans etc. I don't expect high end stuff but don't go super cheap either. Lack of ceiling fans is another issue we run into. And yes somewhere to wash off and rinse off. I don't care if it's just a well placed hose, it's better than dragging sand eberywhere.
Premium
AG
Go to Costco or Sams and buy a bunch of stuff:

Knives for cooking, pillows, towels and linens, cups, cutting boards, standard spices W/dispensers, new big trash can

Go to TJ Maxx, Ross, etc:

Buy a bunch of decorations / paintings to add and replace existing

Replace:

Any appliances that are iffy... toaster, blender, coffee maker, washer/dryer, fridge, A/C. You don't want to get called for the big things here - the small ones we have overnighted from Amazon if it went out (blender or toaster broke).

Remotely programmable Keypad on front door for sure

Decent quality beach things:

Chairs, beach wagon, boogie boards, real shovel (small one for sand), sun shelter of some kind
SoTheySay
S
Anything else? Closing in 12 days!
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Quality internet. Most advertise internet in their listings but few are strong enough to stream shows.

We like to bring Appletv or chromecast with us when we travel and need a strong internet. I also tend to have to work a little at night or in the mornings before the kids get up and need access.
SoTheySay
S
Agreed! This is one of the complaints in a current review and we are working on that already!
chiken
AG
I'd suggest leaving a jar of sample shampoos/conditioners, lotion, soaps, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc. That's a really nice touch. Maybe add chests full of ice water and ice for additional purchase? People run out of that stuff a lot and don't want to go into town to buy it, and would pay a slight premium if you provide it.

Also, don't skimp on the toilet paper or paper towels.
Ogre09
AG
Ditto on the comment about decent kitchen tools. Cooking for 10-14 needs some specific gear.

SHARP chef knife
BIG cutting board
Big stock pot
Big deep skillet with lid
Big electric griddle
Smaller skillet
Sauce pan
Couple of baking sheets

Keeping coffee supplies stocked is a huge plus. Keurigs and Kcups are nice, but just a good, clean, functioning 12 cup drip brewer would be fine. Plenty of filters, ground beans, and sugar and sweeteners, and some good mugs round it out.

A deck and furniture to sit on.

At my point in life, anything to help keep little kids where they're supposed to be, i.e. a gate on the deck to keep them from the stairs.
Premium
AG
Ogre09 said:

Ditto on the comment about decent kitchen tools. Cooking for 10-14 needs some specific gear.

SHARP chef knife
BIG cutting board
Big stock pot
Big deep skillet with lid
Big electric griddle
Smaller skillet
Sauce pan
Couple of baking sheets

Keeping coffee supplies stocked is a huge plus. Keurigs and Kcups are nice, but just a good, clean, functioning 12 cup drip brewer would be fine. Plenty of filters, ground beans, and sugar and sweeteners, and some good mugs round it out.

A deck and furniture to sit on.

At my point in life, anything to help keep little kids where they're supposed to be, i.e. a gate on the deck to keep them from the stairs.

Everything but the coffee. This is the one thing people who want this bring, and should be expected to bring. We provide a nice drop coffee maker in both houses and in one of them also provide a Keurig.

Other consumables - spices, paper towels, trash bags, toilet paper, laundry detergent, dish detergent, hand soap dispenser in all bathrooms & kitchen.

Just remembered something unrelated - find a first aide kit and put that where it's easily accessible.
CS78
Mattresses- Make sure the master bedroom has a decent mattress, moderate firmness. The person making the decision to come back again will be the one sleeping on it.
Cardiag
AG
Go with duvet covers and white sheets that can be washed and bleached. Airbnb photos with those cheap bed spreads are an immediate turn off. Also I would go all Ikea. People like that Scandinavian look and its cheap.
malenurse
AG
Two questions:

1. Did you close?

2. Is the house still there?
SoTheySay
S
Yes, we closed on Tuesday.

We have seen one photo of the neighborhood and can see a tiny sliver of our house behind a house. Our neighborhood looks good in the photo so we are hopeful that the place is just a little damaged - nothing much more than what we had already planned to repair or upgrade.

I have a car FULL of stuff I've purchased (based on my preferences and your suggestions!) and was told to return them yesterday morning and then we got the photo and was instructed not to. We aren't 100% in the clear but a huge weight has been lifted.
malenurse
AG
Looks like you dodged a bullet. Congrats.
mike073
AG
My two brothers have homes in Port A and my sister lives there. They went down yesterday to find the houses intact, but the wind and rain managed to get some water inside which they cleaned up. If not, they probably would be having mold issues going forward. Better to be sure.

Good luck.
Gig 'em Aggies!

SoTheySay
S
My parents went down yesterday. We have minimal water damage. We'll be replacing sheetrock in some areas. A lot of siding missing. But that's it!
mike073
AG
Good news. Best of luck with your rental.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.