Mexico All-Inclusive / Tainted Alcohol

8,586 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by La Vernia_Ag06
DuncanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone see this story in USA Today?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/07/20/all-inclusive-resorts-mexico-suspected-drugging-tourists/490429001/
water turkey
It's been all over Facebook. I just got back and only drank can beer.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
It's Mexico, what do people expect?
Aggie
AG
Not buying it

Sounds to me a few snowflakes got drunk and blamed someone else

Josepi
AG
Those two took six shots in one hour. They didn't deserve to die, but that is a lot of booze in a short amount of time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, my money is they drank too much crap alcohol, not so much tainted alcohol.
drumboy
AG
20 bucks says dude knocked his wife out and knocked it out.

My wife got jacked one night at EPM and I had just enough working brain cells to get us back to our room but we were lost for 15 minutes. She wanted to sleep on the ground with those big freaking iguanas.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
David Carr
David Carr
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-21/showdown-in-cancun-narcos-take-their-war-into-hot-beach-resorts
Esteban du Plantier
AG
When you're out of your typical situation, you can often be surprised.

My wife is good at metering her booze and can hang all night without being out of control.

Two hours after checking into our Riveria Maya resort, she'd had a coconut drink, then had the coconut refilled twice with straight rum. If I weren't around as sitter, she'd probably wake up claiming she was drugged.

Until they find methanol, impurities, or drugs in the booze, I'll assume it's just people not being able to hang.
YouBet
AG
David Carr said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-21/showdown-in-cancun-narcos-take-their-war-into-hot-beach-resorts

This is why my wife will not step foot in Mexico probably ever. My last visit was to Playa del Carmen around 12 years ago and I don't expect to ever go back.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
It's not me; it's my wife.

And it doesn't really bother me anyway. I've been several times and there are tons of other places to go instead.
drumboy
AG
Dammit now my wife is talking about this.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
SW AG80
AG
There are many places in the Caribbean that are nicer, have better beaches and clearer water where safety is not nearly the concern.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm a Puerto Rican so I recommend going to PR.

But, this sound like a Cancun problem. I think Cabo San Lucas is still good to go.
ORAggieFan
SW AG80 said:

There are many places in the Caribbean that are nicer, have better beaches and clearer water where safety is not nearly the concern.

Yes, but they are also more expensive and harder to get to.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
I just got back from a week at the Barcelo -- overall, I believe this was our 18th trip to the area (12 different resorts). Bang for the buck is hard to beat but we wont be going back - not because of this story, simply b/c we are just tired of the way things are run down there. Everything just seems to be seedier than when we started visiting in the mid-90s.
TxAgClif00
AG
Frisco, was it something at the resort in particular or just the area in general? We're going to the Barcelo Palace in October for our third time, first since 2010, and am curious what your experience was like this time.
bmc13
AG
Quote:

Every time, every single time, something bad happens, they (Mexican resorts and authorities) blame the victim,

accurate. my parents had stuff stolen from their villa at a nice Cabo resort and they were accused of staging it and hiding the stolen items in various places that were searched by hotel staff right in front of them (nothing to be found, of course).
drumboy
AG
Buddy of mine came back to his room in Playa and found some dude asleep in his bed. Roused with WTF are you doing here and then argued about whose room it was and then walked to the lobby. They apologized but wouldn't let him get $200 out of the cash machine with no penalty like he had been wanting to get.

We couldn't figure out why he wanted cash at an AI but then he got it and took a cab downtown to get some blow. I'm surprised he made it back alive.
Martin Cash
AG
ORAggieFan said:

SW AG80 said:

Yes, but they are also more expensive and harder to get to.
This. With all the great places you can go, why would anyone take a chance by going to the hell hole that is Mexico?
Post removed:
by user
David Carr
Quote:

It sees 30x more visitors than many smaller places in the Caribbean so of course some things will happen.
Made up statistics are made up.
drumboy
AG
Anybody ever been off the beaten path in Mexico? You'll find some of the nicest folks around. I've taken several dual sport motorcycle trips in Mexico and once you get past the border towns where they associate gringos as a source of income the folks want to talk (too much sometimes) and offer to share with you when you know you have much more than them.

First trip was through Big Bend and then Chihuahua, Copper Canyon (Creel & Batopilas), Durango, crossing the Sierra Madres to Mazatlan, ferry to Cabo and then up Baja staying in small towns. We couldn't afford GPS so we relied on some crappy maps and asking directions. Lots of lots of directions. Several times we had to ride at night as it took much longer than we thought to go 70 miles or so when you're on unmarked dirt roads and folks would offer us a meal and a spot to sleep. We felt like we were imposing so we never took them up on it (I felt it was kind of insulting to refuse) but I know folks that have.

I've taken several other trips to a small town in the mountains south of Monterrey and had great experiences. Only nicer folks that I've met were in Alaska when my motorcycle pooped itself in the middle of nowhere.
Post removed:
by user
David Carr
Caribbean as a whole gets 25 to 30 million visitors annually.

So please continue with you made up stat or the one that helps your point.
Post removed:
by user
KW02
AG
Been to quite a few Caribbean destinations. Never been really concerned about Cancun/Playa or safety there.

There was just recently a murder in Turks and Caicos. Things happen all over.

No matter where you travel internationally, you have to be more aware of surroundings and not do dumb things.

HeightsAg
KW02 said:

Been to quite a few Caribbean destinations. Never been really concerned about Cancun/Playa or safety there.

There was just recently a murder in Turks and Caicos. Things happen all over.

No matter where you travel internationally, you have to be more aware of surroundings and not do dumb things.

Does taking 6 shots in an hour constitute "dumb things"?
aggie7911
State department warning now in regards to this
BMX Bandit
state department warnings
mexico realizes is a problem
but texags ain't buying it.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2017/07/28/amid-more-blackout-reports-mexico-says-take-action-tainted-alcohol-resorts/519101001/

T
Quote:

hey describe how they got sick and blacked out many times after just two drinks while vacationing at the upscale all-inclusive resorts in the region around Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel, as well as in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta.
Some were robbed, sexually assaulted and otherwise seriously injured. Many were hospitalized. Some said they were forced to pay clinics huge sums in cash before getting treatment.
Others can find no apparent motive for why they might have received tainted or "spiked" alcohol.
The president of Mexico's health commission, Sen. Salvador Lpez Brito, said in an interview that the legislature is working on an "initiative to improve the controls and inspections for tainted alcohol at resorts."

The legislative plans will be presented in September, Brito said, without providing additional details.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I find anecdotal evidence of safety from my sister's friend's cousin to be far more reassuring.
Jock 07
AG
You gon git da zika
Al Bula
AG
I guess Mexico doesn't want to bite the legitimate hand that feeds them.

LINK: http://www.chron.com/life/travel/article/10-000-gallons-of-illicit-alcohol-in-Mexico-11817563.php?ipid=hpctp
Quote:

Mexican officials confiscate 10,000 gallons of illicit alcohol sold at popular resorts

Mexican authorities swept 31 resorts, restaurant and nightclubs in Cancun and Playa del Carmen where regulators seized 10,000 gallons of illegal alcohol, according to reports.

The thousands of gallons of counterfeit alcohol came from a company with "bad manufacturing practices," the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. The results of the search were announced Friday at a news conference in Mexico.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.