Driving DFW-Santa Fe

1,271 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txagfisher
Joe Cole
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heading to Santa Fe next week, I know there isn't much on the way, but just curious if anybody had any hidden gems or restaurants along the way. If I have my way, I will be on the other side of Amarillo by lunch time

TIA
CanyonAg77
AG
Be alert for speed trap at Estilline

Charles Goodnight home and museum, Goodnight, TX

Coyote Bluff, Tacos Garcia, Tylers BBQ, Blue Sky for lunch in Amarillo. Not much else to eat until Russel's

Palo Duro Canyon is worth a full day

Russel's Truck Stop just across border into NM, great antique car museum. Free, donation to charity requested. Nice stop with lots of junk food/snack selections. Has a restaurant, I have n idea if it's any good.

If you're into Route 66, take it through Tucumcari. Best preserved 1950s to 1970s Route 66 out there. A couple of good restaurants there, such as Kix and Dels.

In Santa Rosa, the new Pilot on Route 66 (exit 277 and go north then west) is the best stop. The Blue Hole is interesting and a quick stop. Couple of good restaurants there, too. More Route 66 sights.

Clines Corners is an 80 year old tourist trap. We avoid it. Turn there to the most direct route to Santa Fe. Though you can take highway 84 for different scenery. We also like highway 3 that goes through Villanueva State Park. Highway 3 is narrow, not well maintained and twisty. 84 or 285 are both good.

Off 285, the old railway station at Lamy is well preserved and still in use. See it if you're into Manhattan Project history.

In Santa Fe, we love Gabriel's Mexican food off 285 north of town. Also drove out to Chimayo last trip out, to Ranchos de Chimayo. Very good.

Los Alamos has two great museums, the county history museum and the Bradbury Science Museum. Lots of nuclear/Manhattan info at both. There's a walking tour of some of the Manhattan Project sites. Also, they are starting a Manhattan Project Museum, and there will soon be bus tours onto the LA lab to see the WWII sites. Spectacular trails on the mesa edge. And, of course, Bandalier is a great tour.

Valles Caldera is the most spectacular place you can go. Drive up the road through LANL to Valles. Some great hikes past there, and we enjoy the Gilman Tunnels near Jemez.

Let me know if you want more Los Alamos info.
CanyonAg77
AG
Other things:

One of the Santa Fe malls has an insect museum. Quirky, but cool.

I suspect it will be overrun, but we love Clafloutis Bakery in Santa Fe. They were supposed to be moving to a new location.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2826754/replies/48427279

A link with lots of other links:

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2779588/replies/47126917
Texas Ag Mom
We love BBQ at Tyler's & chicken fried steak at Dels!
Joe Cole
Thanks for all the tips Canyon Ag! We have a house rented with family in SF and I know we are going to Gabriel's one night so looking fwd to it. I will check out your other links

haha about Cline's Corner. The only good thing about it is that it means you are almost there

CanyonAg77
AG
At Gabriel's have them make guacamole at your table.

Just saw online that Clofoutis Bakery has moved to a new location. I can't recommend them highly enough. If nothing else, go find out what a real crossiant tastes like.
Potcake
AG
+1 on Blue Sky in Amarillo

I say this on every Santa Fe thread but the crispy chicken tacos at El Parasol, in Santa Fe, are fantastic. Don't make it a dinner destination, it's basically a local fast food, but try them. I love New Mexican food.
txagfisher
AG
Meow Wolf in Santa Fe is pretty cool. Wife and I went there last week. Try to go after lunch, it will be less crowded and the line to get in will be shorter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.