Cant miss places to visit outside of London in Great Britain

549 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GoneGirl
Sliced Clown Bread
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to take 2 weeks visiting Great Britain. We have already spent about 2 weeks in London and seen most things. Looking for can't miss stuff in countryside or other cities.

Thanks for your help.
dcbowers
AG
What do you like to do? Indoor or outdoor activities? Do you like history (what era?), art, food?

You have so many wonderful options. Edinburgh, the Cotswolds, Lake District, and Wales are all amazing. Alternatively, you could just take the Chunnel over to Paris.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Always_Right
AG
If you've never been to Paris then it is a must, the most beautiful city I've ever been too. We went this past April to both London and Paris and I wish I would have just skipped London and done Paris by itself.
GoneGirl
AG
Head out to the Cotswolds/Oxfordshire - it's beautiful this time of year.

Burton on the Water has a bird zoo that's fun and one of the oldest tea rooms in England. Cream tea is not to be missed. Awesome little shops. There's also a little cemetery with a memorial to the US pilots who trained at RAF Little Risington.

Warwick Castle is a great excursion in the same direction. Beautiful displays, and the Earls of Warwick were kingmakers.

You can also hit Stratford upon Avon in the same trip.

Blenheim Palace is a great experience. Winston Churchill grew up there. The house is magnificent and the grounds are amazing. It's built on the former royal "lodge" of Woodstock, and the history there is fabulous.

If you're a Harry Potter fan, you can hit Warner Bros. Harry Potter studio tour in Oxford as well.

There's a ton of things to do in the area and it is just as picturesque as you can imagine. Green pastures dotted with sheep, adorable little villages and a ton of history from early Britain through WWII. It's been the playground of royalty too.

One of my favorite places on earth. I was born in London, but I love Oxfordshire.

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
twk
AG
Whatever you do, don't try to see all of Great Britain in 2 weeks. There's too much to see. Pick one or two areas, and see those in some detail.

TxElsie has some nice suggestions for Oxfordshire, which you could group with another area like the Lake District. But ,if you are looking for something further afield, you wouldn't regret spending 2 weeks in Scotland. Start in Edinburgh, then work your way up to the Highlands. Great scenery, and, if you are a whisky fan, you can stop in and tour a distillery or two.

Of course, it depends on when you want to go. If you are talking about August, that's high season, and Edinburgh would be very difficult at this late date with the festival going on. So, if this is a last minute deal, you will probably need to look elsewhere.
GoneGirl
AG
twk said:

Whatever you do, don't try to see all of Great Britain in 2 weeks. There's too much to see. Pick one or two areas, and see those in some detail.

TxElsie has some nice suggestions for Oxfordshire, which you could group with another area like the Lake District. But ,if you are looking for something further afield, you wouldn't regret spending 2 weeks in Scotland. Start in Edinburgh, then work your way up to the Highlands. Great scenery, and, if you are a whisky fan, you can stop in and tour a distillery or two.

Of course, it depends on when you want to go. If you are talking about August, that's high season, and Edinburgh would be very difficult at this late date with the festival going on. So, if this is a last minute deal, you will probably need to look elsewhere.
Scotland is a trip on our bucket list with another family we like to travel with. The ladies want to see the castles and historical sites, and the fellas want to hit the distilleries and golf.

With my desires for unusual lodging and his love of good scotch, it's going to be an expensive trip, so it's still bucket listed.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.