Chattanooga, TN recos

813 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQ78
Red Fishing Ag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are flying to Nashville, driving to Chattanooga and staying for a few nights. Never stayed there and wondering if anyone has any things to do, sights to see, and restaurant recommendations. Car rental advice also welcome as it's been quite a few years for me.

Planning on a white water raft trip and probably some time in Lookout Mountain. Interested in some of the mountain music, dining, culture, too.

Any other recs are appreciated.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
We were just there.

Lookout Mountain is great if you like Civil War history. Take some time to walk Point Park, and go through the museum. Rock City and Ruby Falls aren't my thing, but some people enjoy them.

There are white water rafting outfitters up in the Ocoee River, about an hour east. It is flow controlled and I'm not quite sure how that works. There are more outfitters on the Hiawassee River and also another hour east in NC in the Nantahala Gorge area.

Chattanooga has a nice downtown with restaurants and bars. We ate at Tupelo Honey Cafe. It is a chain, but it was really good.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Much appreciated
Tree Hugger
AG
The aquarium there is pretty cool
CanyonAg77
AG
Litle River Canyon National Preserve.

https://www.nps.gov/liri/index.htm

Drive the rim road, highway 176. While in the area, visit DeSoto Falls, and eat at the Wildflower Cafe, Mentone, AL.

De Soto Falls:

Sea Pony 07
AG
City Cafe Diner had excellent desserts, average food, but they were open 24/7.
Ag Eng 92
AG
All the previous suggestions are spot on. Downtown has a great overall scene- walking bridge across the TN River, restaurants, etc. I like blue plate diner, taco mamacita, maple street biscuits... lupi's is a good local pizza place. There is a fun climbing gym (High Point) if you like active things. Rafting the Ocoee is great. CanyonAg has good info, but I wouldn't waste my time in AL- chattanooga has all you need. Have fun!
ToddyHill
AG
If you're driving from Nashville to Chattanooga, I'd strongly recommend you stop along the way (about halfway) and take in the tour of the Jack Daniel's facility. I'd suggest the Angel Share tour ($22/person). About the only thing you won't see is the Cooperage (where they make the barrels). One of the best 'tourist' things I've ever experienced. (Still amazed they have roughly 95 barrel houses on their 2200 acre property storing over 2 million barrels). Also would recommend the family style lunch at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House (which Jack Daniel's now owns).
knoxtom
Don't do the hiwassee it is pretty but boring

Do the upper and middle Ocoee including the Olympic section. Great run, I have kayaked it over a hundred times and raft guided it thirty or forty. Fun time. All the outfitters are great, I normally sent people to adventures unlimited or noc

Spend a day just walking around downtown and another at the Ocoee. I would skip the jd tour. Chattaboogie is cool, you will like it
BQ78
AG
See Rock City!

...Not!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.