Amalfi Coast Help

982 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by eah9
12thAngryMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are trying to decide where to stay along the Amalfi Coast. I don't have a strong preference for any particular town/hamlet, but we're trying to balance a great view with convenience to buses and ferries. Does anyone have any experience staying along the Amalfi Coast, and if so, what would you recommend for first timers (which town, specific hotels/B&Bs, etc.)? We are going to be there roughly 3 days and are tentatively planning to do the Path of the Gods hike, visit Capri or Pompeii, and spend the last day just relaxing (or possibly doing the other of Capri/Pompeii).
TXTransplant
We stayed in Sorrento last summer and used that as a base to go to Positano, Amalfi, Capri, and Pompeii. We stayed at the Grand Hotel La Favorita. It was amazing.
Texas Ag Mom
We also stayed in Sorrento last summer as a home base for 3 nights. We rented an apartment on Airbnb. Hit Pompeii on our way to Sorrento. One day we took the ferry to Capri & we rented a private boat. It was just what we needed(a little R&R) after spending 3 weeks traveling in Italy. The captain took us around the entire island w/ a stop at the blue grotto. We also were able to take time to swim in the sea. After that we had lunch along the marina & then took the tram up to the town to explore then we walked back down to the marina. The boat arrangements were booked before we left Texas. I think we put down a $25 deposit & then we paid the balance to the Captain. Very reasonably priced & the best decision for exploring Capri. One day we went to Positano & a couple of other towns.
752bro4
AG
We used Praiano as a home base, stayed at Hotel Onda Verde, and we loved it. It's midway between Positano and Amalfi, and there is a water taxi station just below it. Breakfast and Dinner are included, both of which were great. Our stay came with the free day trip to Capri. Capri was beautiful, but personally I thought it was overrated. It was nice to see once, but I have no need to go back.

I would look into a half day in Ravello. From Amalfi, take the open top tour bus ($10 EU round trip) and it's about 20 minutes up the mountain. Unbelievable views. I thought Pompei was not worth the time and hassle to get to. You could spend a day each in Positano and Amalfi with no issues, or a half day each, traveling back and forth between via water taxis. Round trip was about $50 EU for 2 people. There is also a ferry between Positano and Amalfi that goes about every hour to 90 minutes.

The Amalfi Coast in my favorite place on Earth.

View from Ravello:

Pulling into Positano via water taxi:

agmom95
AG
We also stayed in Sorrento, but spent time in all the places listed above. It was very relaxing and charming.

I disagree on Pompeii. As a child I was fascinated by it and it didn't disappoint. My kids also enjoyed it as well.
TXTransplant
My son and I also loved Pompeii. However, I would not recommend just going there and walking around. At a minimum, I would download some podcasts to guide you through (I believe Rick Steves has some). Better yet, I would do a small guided group tour similar to what Walks of Italy offers (we did not use them for Pompeii, but did for other sights, and they were fantastic).

For me, Pompeii was one of those "can't miss sites". The history is fascinating, and the ruins are amazingly well preserved. But, without some context, just walking around would be boring/frustrating, especially if you're there when it's hot.
12thAngryMan
AG
Seems like a lot of people favor Sorrento, but I've heard the views/immediate surrounding areas aren't as nice as Positano, Amalfi, or some of the smaller towns. Did I misunderstand that, or do most people just choose Sorrento for its convenience as a launching point to the rest of the coast, Capri, and Pompeii? We will be in the Amalfi Coast area at the end of our two week trip so I'm guessing we will want to do (relatively) more relaxing than sightseeing, particularly in the evening.
07ag
AG
sorrento is easier to get to. but it's worth the trip to positano, imo. stayed at villa rosa for 3 nights, would love to go back
Chi374
AG
My wife and I stayed at a VRBO in Atrani, 5 minute walking distance to Amalfi.

It was a small one bedroom apartment with great views of the coast. I highly recommend looking into this. It was cheaper than a hotel.

We stayed there for 4 nights. We traveled to Positano, and Capri by water ferry. Visited Amalfi frequently and dined every night in Atrani.

You will love it! Amalfi is my favorite destination to relax!

Oak Forest Ag
AG
I've stayed in Positano twice, once in 2010 and again last year (2016). Awesome place!

One of my favorite places to eat EVER is La Tagliata, up the hill from town. They'll come and get you for dinner in a small bus and return you to town after dinner.

Ravello is beautiful as well.

If you have time, get to Paestum, down the coast a few hours. Incredible Greek ruins.
aggiedrew04
AG
We stayed at the Hilton in Sorrento and did day trips to Pompei, Capri and Positano. We splurged and paid for a private driver to take us down the amalfi coast. It was worth the $$$.

Drink lots of limoncello!!
12thAngryMan
AG
Thanks for all the info thus far. Did any of you bother with renting a car/scooter, or did you rely on private driver/the regional bus?
752bro4
AG
I wouldn't be able to drive over there - and once you're there, you'll see why. Highly recommend getting a driver.

We only took one bus from Positano to Priano. It was after water taxis had ended service. The bus was a 30 minutes late, crowded as hell, and hot. The only thing in Italy that runs on time is the high speed trains.
eiggA2002
AG
DO NOT plan to use a scooter for your transportation. The roads are extremely difficult and there are little to no flat spots (steep, winding, narrow). They'd be ok to putter around town in, but absolutely not as your transport from town to town. I learned the hard way. I crashed my scooter going from Sorrento to Positano, totaled the bike and got a free visit to the local hospital. Unless you are highly experienced I'd stay far away.
HookThis
AG
Sorrento is hqrd to beat
FriscoAggieFan
AG
We went two Spring Breaks ago and stayed at Hotel Eden Roc in Positano for 3 nights.
It was absolutely fantastic - we had a 2 BR 2 BA ocean view room.
I also rented a car the whole week. It was the most exhilarating and stressful thing I have ever done. We drove from Naples, down the coast and back up to Rome. Driving those mountain roads was an adventure my family will never forget it.
We also did the cooking school at La Tagliatta - I cant recommend that enough.
Pompeii was OK - cobblestones can be challenging to walk on.
If you end up in Rome rent bikes for a day. Thank me later.
Whatever you decide will be awesome - you really cant go wrong.
Feel free to email me with questions (profile).
eah9
AG
We've stayed in Positano twice, just outside of it over a small beach called Arienzo. With only three days there, I seriously recommend just staying somewhere and chilling. You're spending a lot of effort to get there only to jam your trip full of excursions.

We walked the Path of the Gods
Toured Pompeii
ate at La Tagliata (awesome)
Visited Amalfi

All of it is amazing, but we were there for 2 weeks. This last time we were there for 4 days and just relaxed on the porch of the apartment, sat on the beach, walked around town, and ate. Give yourself the gift of not trying to conquer the Amalfi Coast, just relax into it. We would have hiked the path of the gods but the wildfires were a little crazy up there. Other than that, we just chilled.

Read John Steibeck's essay on going to Positano in the 1950s to get in the right frame.

Living vicariously through you . . .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.