New Orleans hotels

1,880 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JustPanda
turnag4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need suggestions for a good historic hotel. We plan to see the French quarter, garden district, and world war 2 museum. We have read good TripAdvisor reviews on some but just needing some good Aggie suggestions. Thanks
BMX Bandit
Columns
helloag99
I like the royal sonesta
Potcake
AG
Dauphine Orleans.
Al Bula
AG
Monteleone
HHAG
AG
Roosevelt.
Garrelli 5000
AG
RPM said:

Monteleone
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
RPM said:

Monteleone
if you don't stay there, be sure to drop in for a drink at the carousel bar. It's one of the few things I recommend for looking for tourist attractions and non-tourist stuff alike.
dcAg
Hotel Monteleone and its not even close.
FarmerJohn
AG
I stayed at the Mazarin. It was nice enough, you feel removed from the chaos a little. A lot of the rooms have outdoor access though. That being said, I can't disagree with the Monteleone recommendation.
Al Bula
AG
FarmerJohn said:

I stayed at the Mazarin. It was nice enough, you feel removed from the chaos a little. A lot of the rooms have outdoor access though. That being said, I can't disagree with the Monteleone recommendation.
that hotel looks pretty awesome as well. I hit up the wine bar when I'm there.
JustPanda
AG
Roosevelt or Monteleone
Garrelli 5000
AG
RPM said:

FarmerJohn said:

We've stayed there before and it was nice. They had a good free hot breakfast buffet at the time. Hotel Le Marais is very modern and nice too.

We still prefer Monteleone, but you cannot go wrong with any of these. We like Monteleone due to the location, grandeur in the lobby, our history there,etc.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Ritz Carlton
Monteleone
Roosevelt.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
fw_ag said:

Ritz Carlton
Monteleone
Roosevelt.

Forgot about the Ritz Carlton. Cool property but super hit-or-miss depending on what is going on when you're in town. If you're there when no conventions or big events are happening, rooms should be cheap and the property is nice.
Aggie87
AG
Stayed at an AirBnB in the Bywater district. Ubered to the French Quarter (though it's also walkable), Garden District, etc. Had a blast.
Wicked Good Ag
Aggie87 said:

Stayed at an AirBnB in the Bywater district. Ubered to the French Quarter (though it's also walkable), Garden District, etc. Had a blast.

How was the AirBNB? Reason I ask is the next trip we go we will be focusing on the bywater and Frenchman street a lot more
mazzag
AG
dcAg said:

Hotel Monteleone and its not even close.

This! That was the rec I picked from this board a year ago, and I have no regrets! The carousel bar is beautiful and the room was as well. A bit tiny, but we really weren't in the room much.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Here is the advantages of each:

Monteleone - slightly closer location than other 2. Carousel bar which slowly rotates.
Roosevelt - nice bar. On other side of canal from bourbon street which can make it quieter.
Ritz Carleton - bar has cool jazz quartet on Thursday Friday and Saturday nights.

Of the three, I prefer the Ritz.

twk
AG
RPM said:

FarmerJohn said:

I stayed at the Mazarin for the LSU football trip 2 years ago. Great location, just across the street from the Sonesta (not a bad place, either), but without the crowds. Of course, the Monteleone is just around the corner, but I haven't stayed there.
turnag4
AG
Thanks for all the responses. We've booked at the Roosevelt although I'm sure all of the places are great. We like that it's not in the quarter but is only across canal street. Thanks again
07&09Ag
We love the carousel bar but I was very underwhelmed by the hotel itself when we stayed. May have been an off weekend for them but I would stay elsewhere and just visit the bar
Potcake
AG
Have a Sazerac at the Sazerac Bar.
JustPanda
AG
Ruby Slipper across Canal for breakfast
Raven
S
All of these are solid choices. I woul add the Windsor Court to the list. Great hotel and the Polo Lounge is outstanding.
turnag4
AG
We just returned from our trip. The Roosevelt Hotel was excellent and easy walking distance across Canal to the quarter. Had a sazarec in the Sazarec bar. The rooftop pool bar is also nice. This hotel, like many in New Orleans, has a rich history. Lobby is beautiful. Would definitely stay there again.
Aggie87
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Aggie87 said:

How was the AirBNB? Reason I ask is the next trip we go we will be focusing on the bywater and Frenchman street a lot more

I missed this, sorry.

The place we stayed at was fantastic - totally updated. Located on corner of Royal & Louisa. It was a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom, and we travelled with another couple, so it worked fine. It also included two bicycles if you want to tool around the area and explore. Markey's bar on opposite corner for an easy drink & stroll home. Also had a small fenced in patio sitting area.

Price was good too - no complaints at all. Actually one - only parking was on the street. No biggie.
cheeky
AG
If you haven't seen the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel during Christmas season, I highly recommend it. Roosevelt, Monteleone and Ritz are easily the top three properties in town. Heading there tomorrow!
JustPanda
AG
But please don't be the non-guests that decide to make the lobby their personal Christmas card studio, resulting in a cluster FD lobby filled with selfie sticks and DIY photographers that make the experience of those staying at the hotel a complete madhouse. They were contemplating making the lobby digital key/room key access only from 11AM-4PM, 12/1-1/3. IMO they should.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.