Denver recs

1,924 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for recs for nice dinner for stepdaughter birthday and things to do around Denver. It will be six of us wii me Wife and stepdaughter's dad and his wife and her boyfriend. Her dad lives in area so may take his advice but wanted some recs as well when we are on our own.
We are probably heading out to do some small hikes and would like to get in a half day whitewater trip. Any thoughts besides the ones listed in other thread
Never been to Denver area but going the last week of July
Also saw the Violent femms are at Fillmore with Echo and Bunnymen so might try to do that

Wife wants a mountain resort for a couple of days to relax so suggestions would be appreciated. We are in Denver mid week so no weekend time at all
Jock 07
AG
Quote:

his wife and her boyfriend

http://www.scarletranch.com
TulaneAg
The Broker is a classic restaurant downtown.
Ag MD 84
AG
would check Red Rocks schedule for any events/concerts which might be interesting
Wicked Good Ag
Red rocks has nothing appealing while in town. One of the first things I looked up.

We're thinking Estes Park area Looking for whitewater Class 3 and some smaller hikes and just a place to relax.
Will be doing some stuff in Denver for a early birthday dinner possibly
Just looking for some ideas/suggestions especially hikes and rafting and dinner recs
ColoradoMooseHerd
Estes Park is more for camping outdoors not for resort relaxing. Also not the place for rafting. Seems like you would be better suited to head up I70 and hit Eagle or Summit county
MarkItZero
AG
Last time I went to Denver we did the hike at St. Mary's Glacier. It's only about an hours drive from Denver and there's snow on the ground all year round.

Not too difficult, just bring water with you. It was around 100 degrees in downtown Denver that day and a perfect 72 degrees at the glacier.

http://dayhikesneardenver.com/st-marys-glacier-hike/

malenurse
AG
Be prepared for every business you walk into to smell like pot.
gigemhilo
AG
Colorado Springs is a cool city to visit with a lot to do outdoors: Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, 7 falls, etc.

Lots of places to eat as well.

We enjoyed our time there much more than in Denver fwiw
Wicked Good Ag
Wow my wife just talked about Colorado Springs to visit instead of Denver for last two nights. What can Colorado Springs offer in terms of food recs and things besides hiking which we could do as well but want to do more than just hikes.

I thought Denver since we have to get daughter and her boyfriend on the plane after two days in Estes Park area but would be open to Colorado Springs
mpl35
AG
How long of hikes? I've done a good number in NoCo. I'll give recs in RMNP if u want. I'm not knowledgeable further south.

Rafting is not good in Estes. Go up to the poudre west if Fort Collins.
knoxtom
Wicked Good Ag said:

Wow my wife just talked about Colorado Springs to visit instead of Denver for last two nights. What can Colorado Springs offer in terms of food recs and things besides hiking which we could do as well but want to do more than just hikes.

I thought Denver since we have to get daughter and her boyfriend on the plane after two days in Estes Park area but would be open to Colorado Springs

I have only lived here a few weeks but for non-hiking you have eating and golf at the Broadmoor, Pikes peak railroad, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and the Will Rodgers Shrine, Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs, Glen Eyrie Castle.
Al Bula
AG
Eat here and support a Texas transplant who owns this place with her husband.

http://www.dbardenver.com/home
Wicked Good Ag
Looks like on Monday upon arrival a stop at Root Down for brunch before heading to Estes Park and a hike
Looking for a food rec near Estes Park for dinner. Leave for Ft Collins area for rafting the next morning so also a ref for food for late lunch
Wicked Good Ag
mpl35 said:

How long of hikes? I've done a good number in NoCo. I'll give recs in RMNP if u want. I'm not knowledgeable further south.

Rafting is not good in Estes. Go up to the poudre west if Fort Collins.

We are doing the Poudre for our rafting. Trying to decide if we want to drive back to Denver and stay after dropping the daughter/boyfriend off or find another area like Colorado Springs for two nights and then driving into Denver on the last day.
mpl35
AG
Looked good yesterday. Poudre was still flowing decently. knoxtom had good recs for the springs. Food in Fort Collins is mediocre to be honest. Choice City Deli is a decent burger place. Mainline is a good choice for a late lunch as well.

Up the Poudre hiking:
American Lakes
Blue Lake
Montgomery Pass

Foothills (hot):
Grey Rock
Arthurs Rock
Horsetooth

It is pretty darn hot here right now.
htxag09
AG
I thought the burger I had at coopersmith while driving through last week in Fort Collins was damn good.
mpl35
AG
htxag09 said:

I thought the burger I had at coopersmith while driving through last week in Fort Collins was damn good.
They are. I generally like coopersmith and go there every so often. I almost recommended them since they are a solid option and my fallback if other places are crowded. The main issue is they brew their own beers and their own beers aren't that great compared to other options in town. Choice City has a very good choice on tap..like 30 plus.

Bad Daddies (a small chain) has a great deck and really good burgers too.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, not a big beer person so what they have suited me fine. But the jalepeno popper burger may have been my favorite burger to date.
Jock 07
AG
Choice city has an excellent beer selection and damn good sandwiches
ColoradoMooseHerd
Did not read everything but does it have to be a burger? If you want other options here are a few

In Old Town (Fort Collins)
JAX Seafood is awesome and opens at 4 pm every day so if a late lunch works. My favorite sandwich there is the Crabcake Sandwich with Egg on top. Not always n the menu, but if you order it, they will always make it.

Beau Jo's Pizza - It was always a tradition to eat Beau Jo's Pizza on the way back skiing on I-70, so to many that visited Colorado on past trips this is a must. to Hit. Pizza is different here, they are the Mountain Pies, more like Chicago Deep Dish.

Rio Grande - Mexian food. Might be a little different than what you are used to in Texas but I like it. I like the margaritas. Good atmosphere

But lots of good choices in town, if you are looking for something nicer let me know. Or if you want something specific let me know that too.
mpl35
AG
He's going rafting. So I was mentioning casual places. Jax is good but pricey. Beaujos was bad I thought. Pulcinellas is better. Or Origins in Loveland

Mexican food in general is not good here...especially if you like texmex.
The Lost
I have never met one person who likes beaujoes
BQ2001
AG
BeauJos is great. If you are around during the week, the location in Evergreen does a lunch buffet that is well worth it
Wicked Good Ag
I want to thank everyone for the recs. So far we are getting in Monday and having a early lunch with my step daughter her boyfriend and her dad and stepmom then we are off to Estes Park area for a couple of hikes. We have rafting Tuesday near Ft Collins in morning

Only meal planned for certain is Root Down for brunch Friday before we leave in Denver but will check out on the recs you guys have offered.
I like all types of food so any rec you give will be looked at. Wife not interested in seafood and eats more gluten free items but can always find something in most menus. She is into soup/salad/sandwich places for lunch and craft cocktails. Might want to have a somewhat nice steak dinner type place on Thursday depending on what we pack.
Still trying to convince her to see Violent Femms/ Echo and the Bunnymen as a evening out but that may be a no go.
mpl35
AG
Social in Fort Collins is "speak easy" that has good cocktails and appetizer type foods. You might check it out. Opens at 4.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Wicked Good Ag said:

I want to thank everyone for the recs. So far we are getting in Monday and having a early lunch with my step daughter her boyfriend and her dad and stepmom then we are off to Estes Park area for a couple of hikes. We have rafting Tuesday near Ft Collins in morning

Only meal planned for certain is Root Down for brunch Friday before we leave in Denver but will check out on the recs you guys have offered.
I like all types of food so any rec you give will be looked at. Wife not interested in seafood and eats more gluten free items but can always find something in most menus. She is into soup/salad/sandwich places for lunch and craft cocktails. Might want to have a somewhat nice steak dinner type place on Thursday depending on what we pack.
Still trying to convince her to see Violent Femms/ Echo and the Bunnymen as a evening out but that may be a no go.

1. Root Down was one of our favorites when we lived in Denver. Lived very close to this location.

2. If the Soup/Salad/Sandwich place and craft cocktails is for Fort Collins and the same meal, you probably want to hit up either

The Kitchen in Old Town/Downtown
Austin's American Grill in Old Town/Downtown (2 locations, you would want the one downtown.)

3. If the Steak or Nice Dinner on Thursday is in Fort Collins, might want to take a look at

Jay's Bistro (Old Town)
Restaurant 415 (Near Old Town)
Rare Italian (Old Town)
Sonny Lubick's Steakhouse (Old Town)

4. If you are looking for this in Denver, for Steak's I think the best place these days is Elway's in Cherry Creek, but I am very partial to the place. If you want more info on Denver place's just say so and will throw out some recommendations

5. Mexican food in Colorado is not Tex-Mex and that is why I like it, not a fan of Tex-Mex. Lots of great Mexican food but won't be the same as Texas. You will probably see a lot more Green Chile in Colorado and that is what I love.
Wicked Good Ag
Waiting at airport for flight but wanted again to say thanks for the recs

Ended up with rafting the Poudre River, hiked Emerald Lake and Alberta Falls in Estes Park and a couple of hikes in Golden. Went to Red Rocks Ampitheater during day Beautiful.

Ate at various places suggested to us on this board
Root Down in Denver was our favorite. Rest 415 and coopersmith were really good. JAX was great but a bit overpriced IMO Solid brunch at Waffle Lab and Voodoo doughnuts were fun. Spent 30 bucks at Voodoo 10 for doughnuts and 20 for underwear. But with a motto "the magic is in the hole" had to get the wife a pair of "knickies" as her half British saying

Will return soon to Colorado likely with kids in tow
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.