United Upgrades

807 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HeightsAg
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forgive the basic question but I'm fixin to qualify for silver for the first time on United. Not that I'm planning on having much luck getting upgrades as silver are there any tips or tricks that might help? What is the process of requesting an upgrade or is it all automatic?
Random Ag
AG
Fly to small airports / non-hubs at off-peak times (mid week or middle of the day)

You'll likely be 40+ on most upgrades lists. I am Gold for 3+ years and still in the 20+ for most flights. I usually get upgraded two or three times year.

You'll automatically be add to the upgrade list on the day of departure (as Silver, others get added earlier)
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Random Ag said:

Fly to small airports / non-hubs at off-peak times (mid week or middle of the day)
This is always true. My wife and I are gold and never get upgraded on a flight like IAH->ORD ir IAH->LAS. But when we visit her parents in OKC, I honestly can't recall the last time we weren't upgraded.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
But to answer your question, you will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list. Try to check into your flight as quickly as possible if you want to have a shot at upgrading. Each strata of upgradeable passenger is sorted by who checked in first.
Jock 07
AG
well that's good, I'll be flying primarily from OMA to IAH, ORD or DIA. Too bad most of the OMA-IAH flights are in a damn ERJ 145 without a 1st class cabin. And being 6'7" after a 2.5 hr flight on one of those damn things is as enjoyable as taking a cheese grater to the face.
HeightsAg
If you can swing it or work is paying, buying full fare tickets (Y fares) will get you an automatic upgrade. But yeah, otherwise good luck. I fly to Midland a lot and half of plane is silver or better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.