Best way to get Euros?

1,718 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by An Ag in CO
ClickClack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to Frankfurt with my wife tomorrow and will be going to several cities in Germany. They still seem to prefer cash over there in many situations based on our friends who currently live there.

What's the best way to get Euros and get an ok exchange rate? Just draw out of ATM once I get there? I have USAA for reference.

Or get Euros exchanged in Houston somewhere today? We connect through JFK but the currency exchanges at the airport aren't going to give you a good rate, correct?
Texas Ag Mom
You can buy some today at a AAA office but the exchange rate won't be good. Last year we just used our ATM card & got the best rate. We had a Charles schwab acct that reimburses for all ATM fees. Also be very careful because our card #/password was captured & money was being withdrawn from our acct in India!!!!! Luckily that didn't happen till the day we were on our way back to DFW. Have fun!
Post removed:
by user
Vernada
AG
ATM
water turkey
Got mine through BOA and had them delivered to the house. May not have been the best rate but it was easy. Did it online.
akaggie05
AG
Check with your bank. Not sure who you use, but I was able to get foreign currency at a Wells Fargo in Dallas before a trip a few weeks ago. They had a limited number of branches scattered around that could do it (searchable on their website).
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
If you do happen to come back with cash, take it to your bank instead of a money changer. My bank gave me a good rate converting back.
dcAg
ATM without a doubt. Don't go through an exchange of any type.
Furlock Bones
AG
if you have an account of any sort with Wells Fargo, their big banks will have Euros on hand. But, as others have said, ATMs.
ClickClack
AG
Thanks guys, helpful advice
dylan
Wells Fargo here in town worked perfectly for getting euros and turning them in when back
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
USAA will refund your charges as well
BlueAg2003
AG
I second Wells Fargo. I just got Euros and pounds on Friday for our upcoming trip this week. It was convenient. Although, it really only make sense if you have an account there.
forumjunkie
Where are you located? If in Houston, go to Memorial City Mall. They typically have a very strong exchange rate.
SwissAgg
AG
Get it out of the ATM, but get large amounts to avoid multiple ATM fees.
ClickClack
AG
Did the ATM route. Worked great. Seem to have gotten the exact Euro to USD exchange rate that way and any fees should refund through USAA.

Germany is an amazing place. Going to miss all the biergartens.
SwissAgg
AG
Only spent a week. There is a lot more to see.
Living in Europe is intetesting.
rcaper
Anyone who travels anywhere knows ATM is the best way to go..
ClickClack
AG
rcaper said:

Anyone who travels anywhere knows ATM is the best way to go..

Thanks for your contribution.
An Ag in CO
AG
I just spent a week in Europe split between London and Lisboa and didn't bring any physical cash with me. Did not encounter any situation where card payment was not available and I did eat at some locals only type places in Lisboa. I used Uber in Lisboa since the cabs typically don't accept cards, though, but the Uber cars are nicer so that wasn't a loss.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.