Riga, Vilnius, Tallinn

566 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aeroag14
hds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last minute trip to Europe. We decided to see the above cities but a bit harder to get from place to place compared to rest of Europe. Trains don't seem like a real option. So fly and bus . . . any experience getting from town to town? Order to visit the cities? I have been to Tallinn (via ferry from Helsinki). Just trying to figure out how to make it work . . . we will be arriving in Amsterdam and spending a few days before heading to the Baltic area in mid-July.

I did read the Vilnius airport will be closed mid-July to August so flying there isn't an option. They are rerouting air traffic to Kaunas.

Any help is appreciated.
Jooch
In the late summer of 2015 we did the Baltic Countries and used Lux Express Bus, traveling from Tallinn to Riga to Vilnius (apx. four hours between each city). I would suggest making online reservations. Their buses were in great condition with comfortable seats, free wifi and a rather small bathroom. I don't recall how much we paid but it was very reasonable. Also took Lux from Vilnius to Warsaw ( 8hrs. with traffic).
hds
AG
I had read about LUX buses but wasn't sure if they were really as good as they said so thanks for the confirmation. The price seemed low (around 20 Euro)

Did you find they were on time?
FHKPLEX03
AG
I can also confirm the Lux buses are the way to go. I used them for Tallin to Riga to Vilnius then train to Minsk. Everything was more or less on time, easy to book online and nice enough seats.
jmg3
AG
Riga is the bomb. Stay there a few days and just take it all in.

There is an incredible map shop near the CBD that has a huge stash of classified soviet maps that they found after the fall of the soviet union. You can get one of anywhere on the planet for real cheap. Great souvenirs. I got one of DC, BCS, and the soviet space port in Kazakhstan (one of the only maps I've found that actually show something there).

LUX buses are great. Took one to Tartu, ES from Riga. Really nice busses and was on time. I also took LUX from Riga to Leiapaja (sp). It's a cool coastal town if you have extra time.
aeroag14
AG
Don't know much about any of them.

But my favorite schoolmaster is from Vilnius
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.