Another USVI/BVI Q

1,590 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wadd96
slappy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have tickets to fly into St Thomas on a Friday and back out on Monday for a quick getaway. I'm overwhelmed with all the suggestions, so I thought I'd ask the experts here. I know it's a short trip, but would anyone consider breaking it up into a couple days in BVI and the last night in St. John/St. Thomas? Or perhaps just on St. John?

Not trying to break the bank here - just get a great weekend with some limited time.
Sher Thing
AG
If it were me, with that short amount of time, I would spend 75% of my time on St. John with a one day trip over to JVD making up the other 25%. Obviously you don't want to spend all your time travelling between islands the whole trip, but those two islands are much more enjoyable than St. Thomas in my opinion, and are short ferry rides from each other.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Jost Van Dyke has one of the prettiest beaches in BVI and a half dozen bars right on the water. It's pretty amazing to grab a bushwhacker at One Love or a painkiller at Soggy Dollar and go out into the ocean to enjoy it. I've only spent one night on St. John, but if I were tethered to USVI I would skip St. Thomas as soon as possible.
Kool
AG
BVI > St. John >> St. Thomas.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
slappy
AG
Thanks for the tips. I'd love to visit JVD. Was thinking about perhaps staying on Tortola for 2 nights, then St. John for the last night just to break it up. But it seems like that could be a big headache and perhaps we just find 1 place to base out of and go from there. Ferry schedule seems like we'd make our flight back coming from Tortola or St. John.
Potcake
AG
Sher Thing said:

If it were me, with that short amount of time, I would spend 75% of my time on St. John with a one day trip over to JVD making up the other 25%. Obviously you don't want to spend all your time travelling between islands the whole trip, but those two islands are much more enjoyable than St. Thomas in my opinion, and are short ferry rides from each other.

+1
slappy
AG
Just to add to it - we wound up staying in Cane Garden Bay on Tortola, took a day trip to JVD. Amazing places. Myett's is great place to visit and stay.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Can't wait to go back and explore more.
Potcake
AG
Love Myett's. We spent one night in Long Bay before going to VG. Started walking to CGB and a half hour in and numerous hills, wife gassed, some guys in a pickup asked if we wanted a ride. They dropped us off at Myett's and then showed up at bar about 20 minutes later. We bought their beers. Also bought some great hot sauce there.
Big Al 1992
AG
Those islands are devastated.
aggie93
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Those islands are devastated.
What has happened to the VI (esp the BVI) is horrific. It's going to take a long time to recover. Here are some updates on the popular bars, hotels, and restaurants:

BVI Update

Short summary is pretty much everything has heavy damage and won't be opening for a while. Some places are essentially completely destroyed or gone such as the Bitter End, Bomba's, Myetts, and Rhyners. Also the charter yachts have been devastated and a huge percentage are heavily damaged or destroyed and will have to be replaced over time. The first couple of weeks have been really tough on these people with their location causing a lot of additional complexity just getting the area secure and getting in basic food and water type supplies. The last few days though they seem to be getting their feet under them and are ready to start to address putting the pieces back together.
wadd96
AG
And here comes Maria... praying for the entire area!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.