St. Thomas one day private charter

756 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by maroon10
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Saint Thomas in August. Looking to book a one day private charter (me and wife) to see some of the more secluded areas, do some snorkeling (wife is not certified to dive) get over to the BVIs (suggestions on where to go are appreciated), etc. Anyone have good recommendations or expectations on what to spend? Any experience re what price points get what sort of service?
Streetfighter 02
AG
If you're both strong swimmers I think you can get some of the best snorkeling at The Baths. The trick is swimming out and around the boulders into deeper water. The busier beach areas are full of tourists and not as much marine life. Last time I was there myself and a friend hiked through the boulder trail from one beach to another, got in the water and swam back. It's also a bucket list stop in the BVI for general beauty of the scenery. The downside here is it's a long way from St. Thomas.

Norman Island caves. On the western side of the island, the outer side of the island from The Bight Bay, there are several caves and some good snorkeling. Afterward you can head to the Willy T, drink rum, get naked and jump off the top of the bar into the water. This isn't a super far trip.

The Indians. You'll need a boat to take you here and pick up a mooring to snorkel or dive. If all the moorings are taken you can pick one up at Pelican Island. It's a pretty far swim over to the indians from here and the current can be fairly strong. There are some cool underwater rock and coral formations.

Not a day trip but Anegada has some awesome snorkeling.
BSD
AG
We loved Privateer charters. Our captain, Patrick, was laid back and listened to what we wanted and gave us good suggestions. Mainly we wanted to go to Baths, and it was everything we thought it would be. It does take some time to get there but you have beautiful island mountain scenery around you on the ride over. It was awesome. We also went to Sandy Spit, Willy T, and a few snorkel spots. We'll be using him again when we go back.
Endo Ag
AG
The baths are awesome, but check the cruse ship schedule. If you go on a cruise day, just avoid the few hours around midday.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Sandy Spit is awesome. If the seas are rough you will be taking a risk to swim to shore. If it's calm it might be the coolest blue water in the BVI. The island is totally unimproved.
maroon10
AG
We did the Baths for a day trip from St. John, while it was beautiful I probably won't go back. Heard good snorkeling around Norman Island.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.