Top hikes near Durango, CO

12 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HHAG
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is TA's favorite day hikes within a couple hours of Durango? Skill level moderate to difficult, great views preferred. We have done Ice Lake, Island Lake, and Columbine Lake already. Thanks.
dcbowers
AG
It is not a day hike, but years ago, we took the narrow gauge railway halfway to Silverton. The train stopped and we jumped off. We hiked 15-ish miles up into the Chicago Basin and set up a base camp. While there, we climbed Mt. Windom (14,088 feet). My Eolus and Sunlight Peak are nearby. Three days later, we hiked down and caught the train back to Durango. Amazing trip!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
stubby93ag
AG
While not difficult (or even moderate) if you are in shape, we really enjoyed the Engineer Mountain hike last summer. The wildflowers in the high meadows were amazing. Some really nice views once you get up past the trees. There is a small parking area across from the Coal Bank Pass pull-off on US 550.

I'd also highly recommend a trip over to American Basin. There is a trailhead there for Handies Peak which is considered an easy 14er. Great photographic opportunities at both of those places if that is your thing.
reddog90
AG
dcbowers said:

It is not a day hike, but years ago, we took the narrow gauge railway halfway to Silverton. The train stopped and we jumped off. We hiked 15-ish miles up into the Chicago Basin and set up a base camp. While there, we climbed Mt. Windom (14,088 feet). My Eolus and Sunlight Peak are nearby. Three days later, we hiked down and caught the train back to Durango. Amazing trip!
Man, I wish we had time for that kind of hiking this trip. Maybe next time!
reddog90
AG
stubby93ag said:

While not difficult (or even moderate) if you are in shape, we really enjoyed the Engineer Mountain hike last summer. The wildflowers in the high meadows were amazing. Some really nice views once you get up past the trees. There is a small parking area across from the Coal Bank Pass pull-off on US 550.

I'd also highly recommend a trip over to American Basin. There is a trailhead there for Handies Peak which is considered an easy 14er. Great photographic opportunities at both of those places if that is your thing.
I have been eyeing Engineer Mountain, it looks pretty awesome!

We have a 2wd car rented for this trip. Can we get to the trailhead for Handies Peak ok?

Which of these two would you say is less crowded?
stubby93ag
AG
With regards to American Basin / Handies, I wouldn't be comfortable in a 2WD on the route we took but I am the cautious type. We came from the Silverton/Animas Forks side through Cinnamon Pass and had a 4WD jeep. I think there is an easier path from the Lake City side, but that might be a trek to get there. If you're not familiar with it, this site has good info on trails, routes, etc 14ers.com - Handies Peak
[url=https://14ers.com/photos/peakmain.php?peak=Handies+Peak][/url]
American Basin is a pretty popular spot from what I could tell, but we also hit that on a Saturday. We got to the Engineer Mountain trailhead pretty early (about daybreak, on a weekday) and had the trail to ourselves on the way up. Started seeing people coming up as we were heading down. Engineer Mountain was definitely less crowded than American/Handies and also Ice/Island Lake trail which we also did.

Just talking about it makes me want to go back.......
TailG8TR
AG
There is something in Telluride ( 2 hours 10 min or so from Durango) that is pretty awesome/sweet.

Called the Via Ferrata (The Iron Way or Iron Road) - not all that difficult physically, but you need to be able to deal with heights/exposure. Will definitely be memorable ! You said you wanted awesome scenery !

Link with Video of the route

Guide service with rates/pricing

TailG8TR
AG
reddog90 - I would also suggest copying/linking this whole thread over onto the outdoors board to get a few more opinions/views.
reddog90
AG
TailG8TR said:

There is something in Telluride ( 2 hours 10 min or so from Durango) that is pretty awesome/sweet.

Called the Via Ferrata (The Iron Way or Iron Road) - not all that difficult physically, but you need to be able to deal with heights/exposure. Will definitely be memorable ! You said you wanted awesome scenery !

Link with Video of the route

Guide service with rates/pricing

Wow... My fiancee is down for an adventure, but not like that. Thanks though.
LRHF
AG
2nd the hike up Engineer. Be aware, it is a bit of a scramble near the top and those who don't like exposure can get a bit panicky and turn around.

Chicago basin is awesome! We've hiked from Purgatory and also done the train stop. The peaks here are some of the harder 14'ers and the summit on Sunlight is a tad awkward!
HHAG
AG
We did the train/Chicago Basin hike back about 1995.

Simply awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.