Vail in summertime - with kids

2,087 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by duck79
Ed Carter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be heading to vail this summer with kids in tow ranging from age 3-7. Plan on doing the zip lines, ropes course, mountain roller coaster thing etc. plus all the cool playgrounds. Looking for more recommendations. Would love to find a local fishing spot the provides all the gear for kids and do some reasonable hiking for that age. Any recommendations for this or any other recommendations in general?
Ag CPA
AG
Maybe look into rafting, the Colorado has some easy runs around State Bridge not too far away. We have also done a Jeep tour in the past, which is a great way to learn more about the area and see some different scenery.
Fairview
AG
Will you have a car?
Ed Carter
AG
Yes we will
Fairview
AG
You listed a lot of the big stuff.

A good hike for kids that age is Fireweed on Vail Mountain. It goes from the top of one gondola to the other. It's our go to when friends with little kids or our older parents come to visit. Pretty much no altitude gain, super scenic and just the right length for kids that age.

The Vail farmers market just started and is every Sunday in Vail Village. It's a pretty big thing and has a ton of food vendors and other stuff to check out. My kids love the Beaver Tators.

You can always walk through the botanical garden but that's not on my list of favorites.

If you want to get out and explore a little bit a drive through Glenwood Canyon is amazing if you've never done it. You can have lunch there or make more of a day of it and go to the adventure park there that is at the top of a gondola ride and has cave tours and kids rides. This is about an hour west of Vail but it's a nice drive and like I said the canyon is really cool and would be about the half that drive.

Another option to get out and explore is got to Eagle (where I live) and head to Sylvan Lake State Park. It's about 30 minutes to Eagle and another 30 to the lake. The last part of it is on a gravel road and pretty remote but the lake is beautiful. Th hike around the lake is really nice and could be done with your kids. It's a good place for a picnic. Its always hit or miss with wildlife but I've seen quite a bit out there.

There's also Beaver Creek Village. My wife was there today and said the ice rink is still open at night so you may want to check that out (make sure it's open before you go).

Let me know if you have any questions or need more recs.
Phat32
AG
There's always kid-friendly events in the Solaris area of Vail, and a cool Farmer's Market on Sundays. Depending on age, the horse-riding across I70 from Vail is great.
duck79
AG
Fairview,

We are taking the family to Eagle in a few weeks and my father and I are playing golf a couple of times. What are your thoughts on the Eagle Vail course?
Fairview
AG
Eagle Vail is a different place than Eagle.

In Eagle Vail there's the Eagle Vail course which I haven't played but I've heard good things about. Slightly West is the Sonnenalp Club which is also nice.

In Eagle there are two courses - Eagle Ranch and Frost Creek. Frost Creek is nicer but kind of far out.

In between those is Red Sky Ranch in Wolcott that has two courses. They are private but have relationships with some hotels that allow you to play there.

If you aren't here much I'd stay up valley and play the Eagle Vail course.
duck79
AG
Thanks.
Phat32
AG
I loved the Eagle Vail course.

Played both that and the Vail muni last year and was impressed with both.
Ed Carter
AG
Thank you guys for the suggestions
aggiedadofpanda
AG
Hanging Lake is a great hike as well in Glenwood Canyon. The hot springs pool in Glenwood Springs also makes for a good day trip from Vail.
Fairview
AG
This popped up in the local paper today online and I thought of this thread. Its about area hikes good for kids 5 and under.

5 and under hiking article - Vail Daily
texagpilot
AG
Thanks for the article. Leaving for Vail Saturday thru next the Sunday. Have 8 month old and looking for some easy hikes with her. Going to take some mountain roads up to Piney Lake and explore, and also to Leadville and Aspen.
Fairview
AG
The Fourth of July parade in Vail is good. With little ones show up a little early and try to get a spot in the shade. Lots of candy for the kids and some entertaining stuff in the parade. We've gone every year since moving here.
gigem70
AG
Avon has a nice 4th fireworks show and there is also a city park/small lake where the kids can catch some trout.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Have not seen anyone mention the Beaver Creek Rodeo. My kids used to love going to that. Very small format, lots of things kids oriented with some things they can do and ride. But then they do have the full rodeo events too.
duck79
AG
Played Eagle Vail today and loved it. My 7 yr old rode with me and played occasionally as well. The elevation changes were great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.