Aggie Football at Rose Bowl

7,013 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Matsui
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
David_Puddy said:

The ladyand I are flying in Thursday around 5 and leaving Monday afternoon. We rented a car and I found a vrbo place in West Hollywood. I've only been to LA once and it was a day trip over from Palm Springs and we didn't get to see much. I've read some of the earlier posts, but what are the best spots and beaches that are close enough to West Hollywood that we should check out as first timers?
hermosa, manhattan, Venice
twk
AG
We've rented a house just over a mile away from the Hollywood Bowl. John Williams is conducting the LA Philharmonic playing his movie music on Friday and Saturday nights. Would it be worth it to get tickets to that? If so, what kind (is it only worth doing if you get box seats, or are the bench seats OK?).
Matsui
AG
If you are into that sure. Closer the better for tickets. And I believe house shows like that it is byob and food.
kevmiller
RPM said:

David_Puddy said:

The ladyand I are flying in Thursday around 5 and leaving Monday afternoon. We rented a car and I found a vrbo place in West Hollywood. I've only been to LA once and it was a day trip over from Palm Springs and we didn't get to see much. I've read some of the earlier posts, but what are the best spots and beaches that are close enough to West Hollywood that we should check out as first timers?
hermosa, manhattan, Venice

How do those 3 compare to the more touristy Santa Monica and Malibu beaches?

Matsui
AG
A ton better. Manhattan is the top. No tourists. More locals. Hermosa is the poor mans manhatten

I'd stay away from Santa Monica

Venice is like no place in the world. Lots tonsee.
tbone94
AG
We r staying in Dana point at Monarch Beach Resort Friday to Monday. Decided it was worth the drive for only one day in to Pasadena. John Wayne is a pleasurable airport.
cr06gis
AG
DAL>BUR Saturday afternoon. Got a VRBO in Pasadena.
BUR>LAS Monday morning for a couple days of gambling/golf.
LAS>DAL Wednesday afternoon.
aggie7911
Go down to the pier good food and a cool bar down there.
aggie7911
Santa Monica much more touristy in my opinion.
mtony77
AG
David_Puddy said:

The lady and I are flying in Thursday around 5 and leaving Monday afternoon. We rented a car and I found a vrbo place in West Hollywood. I've only been to LA once and it was a day trip over from Palm Springs and we didn't get to see much. I've read some of the earlier posts, but what are the best spots and beaches that are close enough to West Hollywood that we should check out as first timers?
What made you choose west hollywood? Trying to figure out what part of LA area wife and I should stay for three days. We'll be flying in and out of LAX and want to spend at least one day at a beach. Seems like weho might be an accessible location to Pasadena and the beaches and LAX. Is there a lot to do in weho?
Matsui
AG
WEHO is the gay district area of LA, but it is centrally located and easy to get to hiking/downtown/Hollywood (yuck)/beaches etc. Only negative it is a tad far from a major highway. I have some of my friends coming from Texas staying in the same area. It has the best options from nightlife to restaurants to ease of getting places and doing things. In the main area of WEHO you are probably 30 minutes from the beach.
Matsui
AG
Santa Monica is horribly touristy.
mtony77
AG
Matsui said:

WEHO is the gay district area of LA, but it is centrally located and easy to get to hiking/downtown/Hollywood (yuck)/beaches etc. Only negative it is a tad far from a major highway. I have some of my friends coming from Texas staying in the same area. It has the best options from nightlife to restaurants to ease of getting places and doing things. In the main area of WEHO you are probably 30 minutes from the beach.
Thanks, do I need to rent a car t get to Pasadena or is Uber a good option?
Matsui
AG
I'd guess that is about an hour ride (20-25 miles) so you are looking at $30-35 without any upcharges each way. The problem I think will be getting out of the Rose Bowl. You migth have to ride the bus to downtown Pasadena (people park there and take shuttles) and then Uber back. Probably $100, MAX, all in. Lyft is an option as well.
mtony77
AG
That sounds like a nightmare getting back...maybe we'll just stay in Pasadena Sun night
Matsui
AG
A ton of people park and shuttle to the Rose bowl. It is 10 minute ride and a ton of restaurants and bars are right by your drop off point. I'd get back to weho. You aren't missing anything in Pasadena Sunday night.
Matsui
AG
It's simple to get on the dedicated shuttles no wait in traffic etc
David_Puddy
AG
mtony77 said:

David_Puddy said:

The lady and I are flying in Thursday around 5 and leaving Monday afternoon. We rented a car and I found a vrbo place in West Hollywood. I've only been to LA once and it was a day trip over from Palm Springs and we didn't get to see much. I've read some of the earlier posts, but what are the best spots and beaches that are close enough to West Hollywood that we should check out as first timers?
What made you choose west hollywood? Trying to figure out what part of LA area wife and I should stay for three days. We'll be flying in and out of LAX and want to spend at least one day at a beach. Seems like weho might be an accessible location to Pasadena and the beaches and LAX. Is there a lot to do in weho?

Basically what Matsui said. Centrally located and lots to do around the area. I have some friends staying closer to Pasadena, but being that we are there from Thursday-Monday we wanted to make our trip not specifically centered around the game. Plus some of the Vrbo properties that I looked at (and the one that I ended up renting) had some pretty badass views of the city.
Ags06Win
AG
We have exactly the same plans!
BoDog
AG
Matsui, a friend is considering doing his bachelor party out there now instead of vegas. Assuming we can pull this off on such short notice, what do you recommend for that scene (if you know what I mean)....?
Matsui
AG
Cali has rules regarding space and proximity to the fun. I'd say unless you are VIP ing it vegas will be a better experience.

I'm not saying la is not a cool spot for bachelor events but I'd say Vegas has more sin.
BoDog
AG
Perhaps, but Vegas doesn't have the Aggies in Pasadena....
Matsui
AG
You can have a great time in la as well. They just aren't Vegas quality. The good ones go to Vegas to make money.
AgAttorney2010
AG
Matsui... I heard drinking on some of the beaches isn't allowed. Is there a beach where it is allowed?
Matsui
AG
That is correct. If you are discreet about it, it isn't a big deal. But no alcohol on the beach by law. A ton of places to drink right by the beaches. You will need a cooler or a plastic cup of some sort if you want to drink while sitting in the sand.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.