Napa recs

3,458 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agnatgas
JRizzle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Staying in Calistoga in mid September. Looking for recs on winery tastings.

I've been once before, loved Caymus and Silver Oak. We will have a driver one day and ride bikes another day or two.

Thanks!

JR
cheeky
AG
Wife and I are going end of July and taking her parents for their anniversary. We are tasting at Futo, Tate, Anomaly, Zeitgeist, Seven Stones, Pott, Phelps, Heitz, Tuck Beckstoffer, Sterling and Chateau Montelena. The last three are Calistoga or just south of Calistoga. Sterling, Phelps and CM are paid tastings because her parents requested those. The others are a blend of expensive to affordable labels. So a little bit for everyone is planned. Happy to provide feedback afterward. It will be my first venture all the way up to Calistoga. We are staying in Napa and using a driver.
Vernada
AG
Schramsberg tour/tasting is really cool and fun.

Reservation required.

http://www.schramsberg.com/
JRizzle
AG
Thanks for the replies. I tried to find some of the old threads and had no luck.

Schramberg looks great, will book. Also thinking of doing some moped rentals - if anyone has any insight into that please chime in...

Thanks,

JR

Vernada
AG
Here's some help:

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2763971/1

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2845454

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2070249/1

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2300648
drumboy
AG
I'm easy to please but I enjoyed the Platypus tour and I'm not shy about revisiting wines that like.
maroon10
AG
We enjoyed the atmosphere of Frog's Leap.
CowtownAg06
AG
Del Dotto Cave tour- I think there is a charge for this but it's worth it. They will take wine straight from the barrel and are very generous with what you get to try. Also, it's very educational on how different variables effect the wine.

V Sattui- Has a little grocery market attached to it and spot for a picnic. Great lunch stop.

Long Meadow Ranch- Great wines and good cheese/oils with their wine tasting. Excellent farm to table restaurant on site as well.

Chateau Montelena- Beautiful grounds and put Napa on the map in 1976.

Lava Vine- Right down the road from Montelena and literally in a dude's garage. Great port and a fun hang.
dlp3719
AG
Blue star for Del Dotto cave tour
CoachRTM
AG
Favorite three (in order)

1. Venge. (We always get the 10am tasting and are the first ones on property and basically have the place to ourselves)
2. O'Brien
3. Sullivan's

We've only been 3 times, so I won't pretend to know every winery, but I like to go to the more secluded places. V Sattui was not my cup of tea as it was crazy crowded and you had to elbow in to get a glass and felt like a "touristy" place. I would much rather sit down with my group of people outdoors next to the vineyard and have our own server who knows what each of us likes in a wine, and can explain every bottle to us in detail.

I've only had two bad tastings of all that I've been to... and even some of our group enjoyed them, so it's pretty easy to not screw it up
CowtownAg06
AG
Interesting that was your experience at v sattui. I wonder if they were having an event. We've been twice and didn't feel crowded at all. Both times walked right up to a server in the tasting room and and a good convo about their wines.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
This was our favorite in Calistoga

Reverie Winery on Diamond Mountain

TyHolden
AG
What's the name of the French onion soup place???
BSD
AG
Bouchon.
TyHolden
AG
BSD said:

Bouchon.
gracias
YouBet
AG
If you can snag a wine tasting at Caldwell with John Caldwell himself it's a bucket list kind of wine tasting. And he loves Texans.

He's kind of like the Herb Kelleher of California wine.
AggieClays
AG
Highly recommend O'Briens, my wife and I's favorite winery in Napa.
752bro4
AG
AggieClays said:

Highly recommend O'Briens, my wife and I's favorite winery in Napa.
same

We are members and the quarterly shipment is always a favorite day at our house
BosAG06
AG
Del Dotto is great as well as Schramsburg. I'd like to add Frogs Leap. Very relaxing and fun place to visit.
TXCityGirl
O'Brien's
Gundlach-Bundschu in Sonoma (Eat at Boonfly on the way)
Eat at Cyndi's Backstreet Kitchen and Archetype
GarlandAg2012
AG
pwalnuts said:

This was our favorite in Calistoga

Reverie Winery on Diamond Mountain

Came to recommend Reverie. We are club members and love visiting.

Also have a driver rec if anyone needs it.
agnatgas
AG
Napa taking a hit with all the wildfires. What a shame.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.