Isla Mujeres Recs?

1,463 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SteveG
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning a post baby trip and the wife simply said she wants somewhere warm. We've always talked about Isla Mujeres but seem to always end up in Cancun proper or Playa.

Suggestions on where to stay?
Ag_07
AG
We stayed at Privilege Aluxes and loved it.

We thought it was nice enough but not too swanky and luxurious. We had complaints at all about the rooms or the hotel itself. We did the AI option because we drink a lot on the beach. The food was alright (breakfast and lunches were a plus with decent dinners), but it was also cheap enough that we did do a few meals off the property and didn't feel like we were wasting money. The beach and pool were awesome and the wife enjoyed their spa.

I would also look into a VRBO. We always said if we go back we would look into that avenue and rent a condo or even a house.

Texas Ag Mom
On VRBO, Airbnb, etc look at Ixchel Condos on Playa Norte.
texancanuck11
I agree with the Privilege Aluxes. We went for our honeymoon and were very pleased. The food was pretty good and there were several restaurant options on their campus. We found a deal like the one below when we went.

http://www.travelbyjen.com/cgi-bin/pages.pl?script=show_deal&id=1732
MrJonMan
AG
Appreciate all the input, will check it all out
oldschool87
AG
Rent the golf cart...
Snipes
AG
Definitely rent a house or condo.

Wife and I rented a sweet house with pool on the windward side last thanksgiving.

No real need for a golf cart, just hail a taxi if you want to go to the other side do the island.

Super easy to walk into town.

Tons of good cheap food on the island so all inclusive makes no sense.

Don't go to the island expecting an amazing beach.

Playa north used to be amazing but too many hotels encroaching on the beach and erosion has killed it.
fwag04
AG
+3 on Privelege Aluxes, wife and I stayed there 2 years ago and enjoyed it. Do get a golf cart and a styrofoam cooler, load it up and drive around the island. It's the same roads over and over, but it's still fun
SteveG
AG
Another great place in the area is Tulum. Been there 2x. Much slower pace than cancun but outstanding beaches and food.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.