Need cell phone with data for 3 months in Europe

1,867 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Snipes
chrisfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
I have a family friend who will be in Europe this summer for 3 months. 20 different countries, eastern and western. Her US phone can't add enough data to be able to use GPS for maps while she walk around and uses public transport. Any suggestions on what she can buy to be able to have this kind of data that won't break the bank? Thanks.
htxag09
AG
She really may not need that much data. You can get on wifi and download the maps of the city you're in on Google maps. Then your gps will work even if your cellular is off. That's typically what we do when we travel.

We have AT&T and typically additionally get the passport or whatever the temporary international plan is called just in case. But we've never really needed it. For some phones/plans you can get an international sim card.
Bulldog73
AG
That's a lot of countries, but TMobile seemed the best option for me when I spent a few months in Western Europe.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I have Tmobile. Works well in Europe. 20 cents a minute for phone call is about the only additional charge.
07ag
AG
google maps lets you download maps for offline viewing,, if its just maps they need, download the necessary ones ahead of time. in europe, turn off the data, turn on the gps, and you're good to go
AggieDruggist89
AG
Waze works also. Very low data use.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Good stuff. Thanks all.
GigemCO2008
AG
I was just there and can tell you, do not use US Providers Intl Plan.

I got a "Three UK" sim card when I was in London.

Purchased 20 pounds top up at a Tesco (Walgreens in London)

Go online and switch to "All in One" package

12GB of Data and 3000 texts.

This was only good for 1 month, but the "All in One" has the "Feel at home" portion that she needs.

My phone number was UK, but the data worked in France and Netherlands. I only got 3g in France and Netherlands, but never had a problem.
The only problem is that she would have to purchase the top up credits in advance in England before leaving.
Without a UK address on a credit card, you can't purchase online.
Three UK Feel At Home

For Calling, utilize Whatsapp. If you don't know what that is, get it.

If she doesn't start in London, what is her first country?
Endo Ag
AG
I'm going in a few weeks and am going to try to get a Google Project Fi plan for the time, barring any "activation fees" or other obstacles.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
GigemCO2008 said:

I was just there and can tell you, do not use US Providers Intl Plan.

I got a "Three UK" sim card when I was in London.

Purchased 20 pounds top up at a Tesco (Walgreens in London)

Go online and switch to "All in One" package

12GB of Data and 3000 texts.
For longer stays that start in the UK, this is what I did. For a week or less, I just use the Verizon international plan ($10/day) and skip the hassle. Honestly, its really convenient to just use my own cell phone as though I'm in the states. Google Fi seems like an interesting prospect for extended international travel.
AggieDruggist89
AG
sts7049
AG
project fi is a great option if you have one of the phones. or if you want an excuse to buy a pixel.
texasaggie04
AG
I agree w/ the above post of getting a European plan. When I lived in London, I paid maybe 20 pounds a month (no contract) for cell phone service and data.
Snipes
AG
Did the same route buying simcard in London few months back.

Totally way to go.

They sell them right in heathrow if getting to tesco.

Just make sure phone is unlocked before you go.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.