Waterton Lakes NP

1,889 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nosoupforyou
Bachelor99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am combining a 4 day Glacier trip to add in a trip to Waterton Lakes. I have all my hikes planned for Glacier. I have allocated 1 day for Waterton Lakes. What are the must see/do in Waterton Lakes for 1 full day? Thanks.
nosoupforyou
AG
I have a trip planned for mid-july myself - 2 nights in Banff, 4 nights in West Glacier, 2 nights in East Glacier, and 2 nights in Waterton.

I've done a lot of research to figure out my hikes during the trip but always up for re-working in new things - can you share your plan for Glacier NP?

re Waterton, we are headed to the following:

• Red Rock Canyon Loop and hike to Blakiston Falls
  • Town of Waterton - check out Cameron Falls and Prince of Wales Hotel
  • Maskinonge Overlook for bird viewing
  • Bison Paddock Loop
  • Cameron Lake
RachAg2007
AG
If you can only do 1 hike in Waterton, you must MUST do Crypt Lake. Boat ride, crawling through a tunnel, and seeing the us/Canada border- and the views don't suck.
nosoupforyou
AG
RachAg2007 said:

If you can only do 1 hike in Waterton, you must MUST do Crypt Lake. Boat ride, crawling through a tunnel, and seeing the us/Canada border- and the views don't suck.
wow! I hadn't heard of this hike - it looks awesome! negative for us is that it's a 10 mile round trip so that may prevent my family (4 kids...) from trying it this time..

Crypt Lake Hike
Bachelor99
AG
wow crypt lake hike looks amazing...I may need to devote a 2nd full day to Waterton...

we are going in early September(first time to the area)....the wife and I plan to camp 4 nights in many glacier campground...we plan to hike iceberg lake, Grinnell glacier, and the highline trail.
RachAg2007
AG
Shoot! You might just have to take another trip there when your kids are older.

Waterton is a great park. We only spent 2 nights there and it deserves at least a week.
rather be fishing
AG
Bookmarking for upcoming trip.
wangus12
AG
I did a write-up about Crypt Lake from 2015. Check it out.

https://jvogelsanginthewild.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/trails-from-the-crypt/

I'd also recommend the Carthew-Alderson Trail. Take a bus to Cameron Lake and hike the trail back to Waterton.

Waterton Lakes is amazing. Can't recommend it enough
nosoupforyou
AG
I'm looking for short hikes.. 1-2 miles round trip or so - any recommendations? Seems like the hike from Cameron Lake to Waterton is long - we do plan to drive to Cameron Lake (or should we take the bus??)

appreciate any advice!
wangus12
AG
Definitely do the Bear's hump. Gives a great view of Waterton and the Lakes.

Lower Bertha Falls is pretty short and if everyone is feeling good, you can stretch it to Bertha Lake.

Forum Lake and Wall Lake are both west of Cameron Lake, but they may be a bit farther. Closer to 5 miles RT.

Rowe Lakes could also be an option
Kyle98
AG
We did a day-trip to Waterton Lakes NP from Lethbridge back in September. We did the boat across to Goat Haunt, MT, and then did the Bear's Hump hike. Both were pretty amazing. The view from Bear's Hump is spectacular. It was windy as hell, though.
TempleAg97
AG
That brings back great memories. LOVED Glacier and Waterton. Make a stop at the Prince of Wales Hotel. Do a google image search. It's amazing.
P.C. Principal
TempleAg97 said:

That brings back great memories. LOVED Glacier and Waterton. Make a stop at the Prince of Wales Hotel. Do a google image search. It's amazing.
Seconded. That place is just stunning.
nosoupforyou
AG
had to add these photos from our trip to Waterton Lakes National Park - it's amazing!!

Awesome pic of Waterton Lake -taken from Prince of Whales Hotel

Prince of Whales Hotel

Loved going to Cameron Lake - we rented Kayak/Rowboat/Paddleboat's here

So great to capture Maskinonge Overlook at just the right time

Red Rock Canyon was neat - kids loved getting in the water

This is all my kids wanted to do the entire trip - throw rocks, build a dam, etc - this is at the edge of town just past Cameron Falls that dead ends at a park and the lake.. we stayed for hours!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.