Pacific Coast Highway

1,188 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Smokin Chisel
Smokin Chisel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone fill me in on the Pacific Coast Highway detour around Big Sur area right now? Where does it begin/end? Is it worth even trying to travel that portion? Thanks!
Spore Ag
We cancelled our trip due to the washout compounded by summer crowds. Update if you go as we will do it on the shoulder season.
beachfront71
AG

Depends if you are looking to head south .. traveling in the area is not an issue.. taking PCH down to LA is.

From what I have read, it is a 1 year clean up process...

notheranymore
We LOVE that area. Love to eat at Nepenthe. It's shut off from the world for the most part. I follow them on Facebook and am amazed at what the community has done to pull together and educate kids, etc. Post Ranch Inn is helicoptering guests in. $$$

Current conditions:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr1
Smokin Chisel
AG
We were thinking of heading south from the Monterey area. We plan to end up in San Diego and spend several days there as that is where our friends live. But I don't know if we should try to do PCH that far north since I have read a lot of it is closed. Maybe we should just do a shorter part north of LA.
Smokin Chisel
AG
We have decided just to drive the portion between LA and San Simeon since we are going to be there. Are there any must see/must do things along the way? We will probably see Hearst Castle and stop at several of the beaches. Any place we should consider staying overnight? I am not sure how long it will take with summer traffic. Thoughts on renting a convertible?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.