Maui in January?

4,776 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cpatin
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
malenurse said:

I haven't been to Maui in years. Is the Molokini Crater still a big thing for snorkelers?
I think so, we went a few years ago. It was worth doing, but I had a mishap that my wife and I still get a laugh over. My wife is an adventure seeker. She asked the captain of our large catamaran if she could go out on the bow walk as the boat was riding the waves. She was really enjoying the wind in her face, the sea mist as the catamaran rode on a keel through the water. I decided we needed a picture of this so, I stood up from the back of boat, and got her in focus.. then as quick as a flash, I'm sliding down the side of the boat, heading for the ocean. Man overboard!!! As fate would have it, as I had no control at this point, my foot squarely smacks a railing, preventing me from hitting the sea. I remember the audible gasp from the other patrons. The crew pulls me up off the side of the boat. Mrs Aggiedata never noticed that she could have been a widower! I guess I could have tread water long enough to be rescued.
Aggiemike96
AG
I'll post a separate thread, with pics, of my review of the Haleakala sunrise.
JCRiley09
AG
CoachRTM said:

It's a great experience that will create a memory. We used Haleakala Bike Company and enjoyed the increased freedom they allowed (bike down at your own pace)

Couple notes of warning/advice :
- Go the first morning you are there so the jet lag makes it not seem quite as early.
- it's COLD at the top.
- No really, whatever you just imagined in your head when you read the word "cold".... double it. It's frigid.
- Take your time coming down. Bring snacks/ water.
- Seriously, it's COLD. Bring layers of clothes, that way you can remove them and put them in a backpack.

It's not something I would want to go on again, but it's worth doing once in my opinion.
Doing a little more research. Did you ever feel unsafe while biking? There seems to be a small group of people who are very vocal online about how dangerous the ride is.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I am too short to do the bike ride. There is a 5'00" requirement, and I am just barely that height. I feel like because I am just at the minimum, it would probably be unsafe for me to try do the the bike down. I still want to do the sunrise, but don't want to drive up and then back down immediately after. I'm going to look and see if there is a non-biking tour - maybe sunrise/hiking.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

I'll post a separate thread, with pics, of my review of the Haleakala sunrise.
I am still waiting for this review...
cpatin
AG
I haven't done the sunrise, but I've hiked down into the crater (Sliding Sands Trail). Its pretty incredible. Whole different world down there. Parts of it you feel like you could be on Mars. Hiking out isn't a ton of fun cause of the incline. If you want an easier hike, do sunrise at the summit and then drive back down a little way to the Halemauu Trailhead. Not too intense and after a mile or so, you get to some great views. You can also get down into the crater from here, but its thirteen switchbacks and again, not a fun trip back out. This area is much grassier than the summit trail.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.