Maui in January?

4,775 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cpatin
Ag_N_Houston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are trying to plan a trip to Maui and want to go in the winter to see the whales. We are thinking about January because it fits our schedules the best. I know the weather will be great for sight seeing, but I'm concerned about actual swimming/snorkeling. I'm a Texas girl, so I'm used to being miserably hot during beach months. Will I feel cold at the beach? Who has been in December/January and can give me some insight?
Post removed:
by user
Ag CPA
AG
The Pacific is usually pretty cold/cool in Hawaii year-round. As mentioned, they are not the best beaches but the surroundings are why you go.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I've been to Hawaii before. I know that the waters are colder than the Caribbean. My question was specific to the temperatures that time of year (December/January). I was not there in winter.

We plan to do a lot of non-beach activities, but would like do some snorkeling.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Maui winter water temps hang within 5 degrees or so of the summer temp. So expect around 74-75 in the dead of winter
HeightsAg
I've been snokerling all over Maui multiple times in December and have never felt cold other than when initially getting into the water. I don't think you need to be concerned.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We have a condo booked for the beginning of January. Haven't booked anything else yet. All Maui recommendations appreciated.
CoachRTM
AG
Been to Maui a couple of times. Probably one of my favorite places in the world.

- Each time we go, we have one day devoted to the Road to Hana. During that day, we always do the following :
Aunt Sandy's Banana Bread Stand - Ke'Anae Penninsula
Coconut Glen's Ice Cream (may not be open yet depending on what time you start the trip).
Black Sand Beach
Hike to Waimoku falls through bamboo forest on the Pipiwai Trail. (Go past the "do not pass" sign all the way to the waterfall) - #1 recommendation on the island.

Other Ideas :
- Maui Swap Meet on Saturdays (local "flea market" if you will)
- Mama's Fish House ($$$$ but very good)
- One of the Lahaina Luau's. They are different - do your own research and figure out which one fits your style better.
- Flyin Hawaiian Zipline
- Paia fish market for lunch
- Haleakala Sunrise Bike Tour (do it on the first day if you're going to do it - early morning wake up call)
Ag_N_Houston
AG
The Sunrise Bike Tour was the top of our list. Then, I started reading and realized that I am borderline at passing the height requirement. Some say 5', some say over 5'. I am just barely 5'. Has anyone done a non-bike Sunrise tour? Are there any that take you up and then hike you around for a couple of hours before taking you down?
Rex Racer
AG
We snorkled in Maui a couple of years ago in January. The water temps were fine. And I'm cold-natured.

Get the "Maui Revealed" book.

The top of Haleakala was cold as f***. Wear a coat up there.

One evening, be sure to go to Warren and Annabelle's if you like magic and comedy. We had a lot of fun. It's a tiny, intimate show. There's not a bad seat in the house.

CoachRTM
AG
Oh yea! Warren and Annabbelle's gets a big thumbs up from us as well.

We got chosen to seat in the first row and help with some of the tricks.
aggiedata
AG
Whales are awesome. Pacific Whale Foundation boat out of Lahaina is great. Plus just camp out on a high point and watch for breaching.

Merrimans is a fantastic place to eat.

Get the book Maui Revealed as mentioned and go exploring.
Rex Racer
AG
CoachRTM said:

Oh yea! Warren and Annabbelle's gets a big thumbs up from us as well.

We got chosen to seat in the first row and help with some of the tricks.
My wife has some serious vision problems, so we were put dead center, second row. Great experience!
Phat32
AG
+1 - Merriman's is a must for us every time we go.
Furlock Bones
AG
if you go to Maui in Winter, you need to go see Jaws at the North Shore. that's the time of year for big wave surfing.
rollingwoodaggie
January is a great time. Seeing the whales that time of year is fun!
HeightsAg
Great recommendations all around. The only thing I'd add is to do the road past Hana rather than turn around when you get to Hana. The roads are in good condition and the vistas are beautiful. And because people are scared for whatever reason, you will have it mostly to yourself.
aggiedata
AG
We did the complete loop. Made it fine. Much less curves on past Hana. If you take Maui Revealed with you, it can guide you to paths that take you to amazing hidden beaches along this journey. Also Lindbergs grave.

In Hana there is a red sand beach. Totally unmarked and takes a little boldness and courage to find. It's things like this that make Maui fantastic IMO.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We booked an oceanfront condo at the very edge of Kaanapali Beach. Reading through the reviews, a lot of people mentioned they could easily whale watch from the room...excited about that!

I haven't booked the flights yet - any advice? Right now, looking at flying IAH-LAX-OGG and then OGG-SFO-IAH.
aggiedata
AG
Great! Yes you should be able to see whales from that point.

Check out Hawaiian Air too. Great airline. We did a combo Vegas/Maui trip once. Pretty awesome. (You can't go Vegas to OGG though)
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Hawaiian doesn't fly out of Houston. We're pretty much stuck with United or American.
aggiedata
AG
I'm in Houston too. You have to change airlines but it may be a cost savings move to get a cheaper fare to LAX, then take HA. Check it out on Google Flights. You have to change planes regardless.

Otherwise I would fly direct to Honolulu, then get the flight to OGG. Sit on the left hand side (port side) for really good view of Maui. It's quick and not bad at all.
Rex Racer
AG
American has non-stop flights from DFW to OGG. My wife and I drove up and took that one. I will say, although it was a large plane, boy, did they have those seats crammed in there close. That sucked.
Phat32
AG
Rex Racer said:

American has non-stop flights from DFW to OGG. My wife and I drove up and took that one. I will say, although it was a large plane, boy, did they have those seats crammed in there close. That sucked.
That's my one gripe with that flight. It's the old 763, which blows. Otherwise, having a direct is great.
cpatin
AG
The American flight direct from Dallas is usually a crappy plane. My wife and I prefer Virgin, but you gotta connect through LAX. Also you can look at doing Southwest to LAX then there are lots of options.

We moved out here in January, so I'm pretty familiar with the island by now. We live a few minutes from Kaanapali beach, so feel free to email me for any suggestions (username @ gmail). Checked out plenty of restaurants, beaches and activities by now.

We are in our low 30s if that helps avoid or consider any recommendations.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Airfare is currently looking like around $2600 for the two of us. Does that sound high or normal for the holiday season?
cpatin
AG
That sounds on the high side, but you are flying during the most popular season. Those midwesterners and Canadians will be flocking here. Last time we flew during the winter was a one way ticket. (Which was 5-600 each)
aggiedata
AG
On United all the way, if you fly IAH to San Diego, then jump over to LAX to catch at flight to OGG, you can save $1000 on two round trips.

It worst part of that is going back home. We did the LAX stop over at 6 AM before, it was not awesome, but thinking about saving $1000 is fun.

I would include February as an option. It's usually less traveled. March is a busy month with spring break.

Google Flights IAH TO OGG best price

malenurse
AG
I haven't been to Maui in years. Is the Molokini Crater still a big thing for snorkelers?
JCRiley09
AG
For those of you who have been and done the early sunrise bike ride, is the $150/person worth it? Seems like a lot, but I have yet to see one review regretting the price.
CoachRTM
AG
It's a great experience that will create a memory. We used Haleakala Bike Company and enjoyed the increased freedom they allowed (bike down at your own pace)

Couple notes of warning/advice :
- Go the first morning you are there so the jet lag makes it not seem quite as early.
- it's COLD at the top.
- No really, whatever you just imagined in your head when you read the word "cold".... double it. It's frigid.
- Take your time coming down. Bring snacks/ water.
- Seriously, it's COLD. Bring layers of clothes, that way you can remove them and put them in a backpack.

It's not something I would want to go on again, but it's worth doing once in my opinion.
Aggiemike96
AG
Absolutely do the Haleakala sunrise. You need to get up at 3 AM ish as it's about a 1.5 hour drive to the summit from Kahului, probably 2 hours from Lahaina area. You need to be at the summit around 30 minutes prior to sunrise at least. Check the calendar for when sunrise is scheduled for the month you're there.

Also...RESERVE IN ADVANCE. I am on Maui right now visiting the in-laws (yes, I'm lucky enough to be trapped on an island for 10 days visiting my in-laws twice a year) and we wanted to go but can't since it's all booked up through July 14th. Reserve early...it's a whopping $1.50 to book a spot if you drive/park yourself.
YouBet
AG
Haleakala sunrise is one of the funniest experiences we had from our Maui trip in December 2015.

We went from about 80+ degrees to Mt. Everest conditions in about an hour. We stood basically in hurricane like conditions with about 3 feet of visibility. You could see nothing. There were probably 100 Asians along with us snapping pictures of nothing. It was absolutely miserable.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I suggest that none of you send a resume to any Halealka tourist companies.
Aggiemike96
AG
Got a pass for July 5th! Will report back!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.