Berlin for 4 days over Thanksgiving

680 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXCityAggie
coop-aero-06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I recently booked flights for a trip to Berlin. We will arrive Thursday, Thanksgiving morning around 9:30am and depart Monday also at 9:30am. Berlin was never really on our list of destinations but we scored round-trip airfare from SFO for $450 so we jumped on it. We are trying to travel more, and are just looking forward to the adventure of seeing a new European city.

We both like to visit the usual history and art museums when we travel, so I'm sure we will add those to the list. But are there any that you would say are can't-miss, or any that were a big let-down that we should avoid?

I'm also interested in renting a car and driving the Autobahn. We have a friend who lives in Hamburg and we are considering making a side-trip up there to visit him. Any thoughts on driving to Dresden or Prague instead of Hamburg? We would probably drive out early Saturday morning, spend the afternoon-evening-night in the new city, and drive back to Berlin for 1 last day in the city on Sunday.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Vernada
AG
I think the Christmas markets will be just kicking off - definitely make it a point to find some of those.
Vernada
AG
Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't try to do any side trips - it's already a pretty short trip.

Also, you don't know what the weather will be like that time of year... it may not be something you want to be driving in.
metrag06
AG
2nd the Christmas market idea. Went to Berlin for 4 days back in 2012 - enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

I would highly suggest the Topography of Terror exhibit. It's at the remains of SS headquarters. The museum is good but the outdoor exhibit covering the period from just after WW1 until the Berlin Wall came down is fascinating. It's a full city block going year by year through the history of Germany. A very good reminder of how small and insidious many of the changes from the 1920s to WW2 were and where it ultimately led.

It was also fascinating to walk around parts of town and see pockmarks from bullets on many of the buildings from the battles during the last few weeks of WW2.

The Pergamon Museum was pretty neat - they have one of the gates of Babylon and the Pergamon altar. Lots of middle eastern/ancient artifacts. We also went to the Bauhaus Archive, which was neat, but only worth doing if you're really into design/architecture. Wife is an architect so I did not have a choice in the matter.

Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Postdamer Platz, Tiergarten, Alexanderplatz are all worth checking out as well.
Federale01
AG
If you like museums, then you should visit Museumsinsel (museum island) which is on Unter den Linden Strasse. Most of their national museums are on that island and they are world class. I also would add Charlottenburg Palace to your list just to get that taste of European opulence that Berlin lacks for the most part.

The only thing I did in Berlin that I wouldn't do again was the Stasi Museum. Most German museums have both German and English placards, but this one didn't. It was beyond frustrating and pretty boring just to walk through an old office building.

As far as the day trip recommendations, I would avoid Prague. Prague is a beautiful city and you can't do it in one day; at least you can't do it right. Dresden is ok, but you have to realize that it was almost completely leveled during WWII. They have rebuilt it well, to include the Frauenkirche, but you can tell that most of the historic older-style buildings downtown were recently rebuilt. Hamburg would be my choice if you really want to get out of Berlin. I haven't been but it has a lot of history. (A lot of people also rave about Potsdam, which is much closer, but I have personally never been.)

Unfortunately, most Christmas Markets open just before Advent, so you may be a little too early. But like everyone else said, definitely visit them if they are open.

Have fun. Just remember that Berlin is pretty hipster and gritty by German standards.
coop-aero-06
AG
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I agree that the schedule is a little tight for a side trip, especially for a city like Prague which really needs its own vacation. If we do one, I think we'll do Hamburg just so we can see our friend and he can show us around for a day. I am rather excited about renting a good German car and driving the Autobahn though.
schmendeler
AG
I'd stay in berlin and have your friend come to you there. after all, you're coming across the ocean.
TXCityAggie
AG
I was there for six nights in December. The markets are great but it was unbelievably cold. I did a short side trip and spent a night in Poznan, Poland....beautiful little town.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.