Banff

4,727 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Dallas10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heading to Banff in July. Any suggestions on things to do? Thanks!
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Looking forward to replies as well. I'm heading to Banff on June 21.
MarkItZero
AG
I went last September.

Drive north a short drive to Lake Louise. Walk the grounds. You can hike to "tea-houses" but this can take awhile.

Beautiful area!
ChipFTAC01
AG
It is beautiful. I like lake morraine more than lake Louise. Lake Louise was overrun with tourists when we were there. The town itself is a nice little resort town. One day we parked down by the falls, then hiked up stream along the tributary that meets the Bow Rover just south of the falls. Crossed the river and then hiked up the bottom of the gondola that goes up to the summit. Took a soak in the springs.

The waldhaus on the golf course has a great patio for a peaceful happy hour. Don't have to be staying at the hotel to eat there.

We made the drive up north to the glacier fields. It was a beautiful drive but I didn't really think the time and expense of going out on the glacier was worth it.
drumboy
AG
MarkItZero said:

I went last September.

Drive north a short drive to Lake Louise. Walk the grounds. You can hike to "tea-houses" but this can take awhile.

Beautiful area!
A Canadian friend of mine said that Lake Louise is the STD capital of Canada so be careful.
Buck O Five
AG
Found out today we have an opportunity to go next weekend, very excited. Looks like most of the big hikes are still snow covered or avalanche risks.

Will be doing the Kicking Horse river white water rafting and will report back. One of the outfitters offers smaller boats to amp things up a notch since we arent bringing kayaks.

Hope others with experience can chime in.
MAGA
AG
Go take a gondola ride, might see some Grizzly bears.
RachAg2007
AG
Definitely do a teahouse hike! Such a cool experience!
TKEAg04
AG
Go to Johnston Canyon and hike up to the waterfalls. It's one of the coolest trails there. Take the gondola to the top of Lake Louise ski resort. Take the gondola in Banff. There are neat things to do in Calgary also as I think you will be there close to Stampede. I lived in Calgary for a year and really miss it!
LeftyAg89
AG
Make sure you take a trip out to Banff Springs Hotel, check out the hotel and enjoy the awesome buffet!!! ($$$)
Loved it!

nosoupforyou
AG
Traveling with kids?
Where are you staying?
How many days?

From there, I'm happy to provide suggestions as we have been and are returning this summer.. it's absolutely amazing in the summertime
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Me + wife (she will be 24 weeks pregnant)

Arrive on June 21

Staying 3 nights at Fairmont Lake Louise
Staying 2 nights at Fairmont Banff Springs
nosoupforyou
AG
Near Fairmont Banff Springs:
  • Banff Gondola - amazing views, and when you get to the top, you can hike to a higher platform for pictures
  • Johnson Canyon Hike - it's nicely shaded - goes along a river, and the waterfall at the end is strong and powerful. may be slippery but it's cool and nice
  • Lake Minnewanka - much quieter here than the other two - nice hike from there is Stewart Canyon Hike

Near Fairmont Lake Louise
  • Lake Louise is really pretty - have to check it out but lots of people
  • Moraine Lake is even better - be sure to hike across the logs and up the rocks to the viewing platform of the lake - it's amazing. For a longer hike, consider Sentinel Pass
  • Emerald Lake - 35 minutes away - google image it - so wonderful and peaceful
  • IF you have time, I would highly recommend driving about 90 minutes north to Peyto Lake - google image search it and you will see why. prettiest lake ever! and it's a very short hike from the road.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We (wife and 4 kids) are headed back to this area mid-July- 3 days in Banff, then 7 days in Glacier NP, Montana - can't wait!
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Thanks!
Buck O Five
AG
The early season snowmelt plus a big rainstorm meant huge flow rates on the Kicking Horse River. It far surpassed any previous white water trips we have done, and highly recommend Alpine rafting.

The Fairmont properties in Banff Springs and Lake Louise are well worth the money. Lots of higher trails were closed for avalanche risks, but the crowds aren't in full swing. The ice was just thawing in the lakes, and the waterfalls in Johnston canyon are flowing very high and are a must see.

So many Aussies working up there in the resorts. Heard they come to see snow for the first time.
nosoupforyou
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

Me + wife (she will be 24 weeks pregnant)

Arrive on June 21

Staying 3 nights at Fairmont Lake Louise
Staying 2 nights at Fairmont Banff Springs
how is the trip so far?? Weather nice?

I'm headed up there in 3 weeks - still trying to find dinner options for 2 nights... (after 2 nights, we're headed south to Glacier NP)

definitely need dinner near Lake Louise one night and could do another night in that area or could do in Banff area (or in-between)

appreciate any advice YOU have!
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Here now. Thanks for the great recommendations on this thread.

We have had a wide array of weather, but overall very nice. Today is sunny and 50's, but it feels much warmer in the sun. I played golf this afternoon and I was a hot in pants and a polo. In the shade, and after the sun goes down, it gets chilly. Pack an assortment of clothes, because we have needed everything from swim suits to jackets and scarves. It snowed on us at the top of the Lake Louise Gondola, and it was very chilly (5-10* c) at Lake Agnes, Peyto Lake, and the Icefields.

There are only a few options to eat near Lake Louise. The Fairmont, the Lodge on Lake Moraine, and the Deer Lodge. We ate dinner both nights at the Fairmont, and both were very good meals.

In Banff we really enjoyed "Park" which is a distillery and restaurant right on Banff Ave. We ate lunch at a great little Greek place called "Balkan" on Banff Ave. I'll update if we do anything special for dinner tonight, but we might just eat at the Fairmont.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Also, there really isn't much between Lake Louise and Banff except bears and scenery. I would plan to eat in Banff. It's a National Park, so the only businesses are those that have either been grandfathered in.
nosoupforyou
AG
Awesome to hear you made it to Peyto Lake! Such a great spot

Trying emerald lake if you can.. and I'll check out the dinner options you said.. thanks
ChipFTAC01
AG
Trying to remember where we ate meals when we were there. I know one night we had dinner at the brewery on the main drag
SA68AG
AG
The Post Hotel has an excellent restAurant in Lake Louise.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Good to know for next time. We missed that.

I forgot to mention, we took the Lake Louise Gondola one day and bought the "Gondola and Gourmet" ticket which basically gave us a voucher to eat lunch at the lodge at the top of the Gondola. The food was surprisingly very good! And to top it off, we saw a mama grizzly and 2 cubs on the Gondola ride back down.
htownaggie09

htownaggie09
nosoupforyou said:

Near Fairmont Banff Springs:
  • Banff Gondola - amazing views, and when you get to the top, you can hike to a higher platform for pictures
  • Johnson Canyon Hike - it's nicely shaded - goes along a river, and the waterfall at the end is strong and powerful. may be slippery but it's cool and nice
  • Lake Minnewanka - much quieter here than the other two - nice hike from there is Stewart Canyon Hike

Near Fairmont Lake Louise
  • Lake Louise is really pretty - have to check it out but lots of people
  • Moraine Lake is even better - be sure to hike across the logs and up the rocks to the viewing platform of the lake - it's amazing. For a longer hike, consider Sentinel Pass
  • Emerald Lake - 35 minutes away - google image it - so wonderful and peaceful
  • IF you have time, I would highly recommend driving about 90 minutes north to Peyto Lake - google image search it and you will see why. prettiest lake ever! and it's a very short hike from the road.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We (wife and 4 kids) are headed back to this area mid-July- 3 days in Banff, then 7 days in Glacier NP, Montana - can't wait!
Hi There! Just came across this post looking for Banff info; we are about to book a trip for the end of September for 4 nights. Have a couple questions! Would you recommend Fairmont Lake Louise or Rimrock Resort assuming either has availability? I was thinking one of those for one night and then Fairmont Banff the rest since it looks like you can access restaurants, etc easily. On that note; is a rental car necessary? Haven't delved into the research yet, but looking trying to see Peyto Lake, Lake Morraine, the glacier tour and driving up the Icefields Parkway as a start for things to do....guessing we would need a car for all of that? Thanks

SA68AG
AG
I've stayed at the Rimrock numerous times and at CLL once. Generally the price differential between the two is about $500 per night - say $800 for CLL and 300 or less for the Rimrock. CLL is very much like Banff Hot Springs - Very large classic resort hotel. The Rimrock is much more modern.Therooms are larger at the Rimrock and as I recall they are air conditioned. I don't think the room we had at CLL was. the Rimrock also does a lot of business conferences.

Both have great restaurants although I prefer the top end Rimrock to CLL's best. TH Rimrock sis not a steak place but more of a multicourse tasting menu place like you'd find in NewYork.

The scenery from the Rimrock is fine with beautiful mountain views. The scenery at CLL is the mountains surrounding the incomparable Lake Louise. There are no great hikes at the Rimrock where you're about 2/3s up the side of a mountain. The Rimrock does have regular shuttles into Banff.
CLL has a number of great hikes that originate from the hotel The Tea House Hikes, the Plain of th Six Glacier.
Lot more to do in Banff - virtually nothing to do in Lake Louise.

An alternative you might consider is Morraine Lake Lodge - right off the tourn off of the highway from Banff to Lake Louise. price is between the two and the scenery is at least equal to Lake Louise.ive stayed there 2 or 3 times . They have great hiking from the lodge with a guide if you so choose. There are trail restrictions due to bear activity fairly often. There is nothing near the resort if you're interested in night life or variety.

The restaurant is very good but not as good as the other two.

We stay at the Rimrock as a first night in Canada place on the way to Lake O'Hara rather than a destination place. I'd say CLL is a destination spot but an expensive one.
Hope this helps.
You will need a car. The car rental place at the Calgary airport is right at the terminal and the highways are well marked and as good or better than the US
nosoupforyou
AG
Perfect response- I agree completely with all of this

Would add.. Lake O'Hara is the best place in the area (which implies the world!). I've only seen pictures though because I couldn't get a pass to get in on the shuttle bus... but if you stay at their hotel you can get in.. id highly recommend trying that hotel first.. then if booked up (likely) then look to Moraine Lake which was awesome.. best lake out there..

We just got back and on the way to Moraine Lake is a beautiful and very lightly traveled Lake Annette.. 2 hour hike there but it was really great.. pack some mosquito spray but man, it was great... saw 10 people there total.. very opposite of Moraine and Louise.

You will love it but it's probably getting colder now than it was for us in July
nosoupforyou
AG
Great trip planned.. add Lake O'Hara if you can get in.. let us know if you have more questions and also I hope to get your feedback when you return
nosoupforyou
AG
We almost did Lake Agnes but ended up doing Lake Annette.. it's along the road to Moraine Lake.. 2 hour hike there.. it was really serene and quiet.. hardly anybody there.. have you been there? How was Agnes?
SA68AG
AG
I haven't been Annette but the hike to Lake Agnes and the tea house is very enjoyable. There is an elevation gain of 1,000 plus feet. You can do the Big or Little Beehive hikes from the Lake which I would definitely recommend.
nosoupforyou
AG
interesting- i have heard Big Beehive and teahouse is the best ever but VERY strenuous

Lake Annette is an easy hike - nothing hard - just 2 hours to get there
SA68AG
AG
I wouldn't describe them as very strenuous but I do a fair amount of long hikes with significant elevation gain.

You will get enough excercise to eat a big meal guilt free .
htownaggie09
Alright, trying to finalize flights/hotels. Is this a doable itinerary or do we need an additional day? We have the Morraine Lake Lodge booked for the last night and Banff Springs the first two nights. I tried to get a reservation on the Lake Ohara bus, but it was booked :-(

(thursday) - arrive late
(friday) - banff gondola, lake louise, drive up icefields parkway (peyto lake)
(saturday) - beehive/tea house hikes
(sunday) - sentinel pass hike (lake morraine), depart late

nosoupforyou
AG
others can weigh in for clarity - a few quick thoughts..

- you arrive late - HOW late? in July, it was still light there at 10:15 pm and again at 5:30 am... may be similar for you - that gives you a lot more time to do stuff..

- Lake Louise IS beehive/tea house hikes - those should all be done on Saturday.

- Banff Gondola is great - nice hike at the top to the wooden structure - great views.. then you would drive 1:15 to get to Peyto Lake (driving past Lake Louise on the way). Peyto Lake is awesome - short hike to the platform for the picture - but you can hike farther down/around the lake. you might consider checking out Emerald Lake after Peyto Lake since that's a shorter hike. it's going to be cold so bring a coat.

Ideally - I think you should change your itinerary - 1 day at Banff Springs, and then 2 days at Moraine Lake

Sunday -your plan looks right - heard great things about Sentinel pass hike

Use Google Maps to plan times - just type the names and it will all come up - it's very helpful
mike073
AG
Got back last week. In addition to most of the above, take the Columbia Ice Field tour - take your scotch and open it up with the glacier water.

Moraine lake is unbelievable. It really looks like this:

We saw three bears on the Lake Louise gondola ride.

Gig 'em Aggies!

mike073
AG
Peyto Lake:

Columbia Ice field (Athabasca glacier) - Tour buses up on the ice:

Gig 'em Aggies!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.