Things to do in Chicago with teens?

901 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HECUBUS
Summer Breeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're considering Chicago for our summer vacation. If things play out like I think, we would be there for the Fourth of July. I have two boys (12 and 14), so we have to find a mix of things to DO in addition to things to SEE.

Wrigley Field is already a must.

Any other recs for what we should do while in Chicago?
Matsui
AG
There are a ton of activities along the water front
RebelE91
AG
Museum of science and technology
a.froman
AG
Ball games, either Sox or Cubs, Field Museum(Lions from Tsavo are there), Maybe the mob tour, boat tours, Navy Pier, and bike around the lake
Cancelled
AG
Rent a Ferrari. Park it. Go to a fancy restaurant without reservations. Then cubs game and museum. Check if there's going to be a parade.
Wicked Good Ag
Archectiual boat tour
Deep dish pizza Where to go will be debated
Wrigley Field
Field museum
Navy pier but 4th of July will have over 100k there
Take a side trip to Wisconsin Dells for water parks at that age
Old Jock 1997
AG
We went last summer. Cubs game is a must. The Wrigley Field tour is very well-done also. I enjoy White Sox games as well. Don't believe everyone that says you'll end up dead; it's a different feel outside the ballpark -- some peddlers for sure but very safe and good fans. We also did a day trip to a Milwaukee to see the Brewers.

Museum of Science and Technology is fantastic, regardless of age. Transportation there was a mess for us -- the busses were all rerouted for construction -- so research it beforehand. Uber was great for that.

Shopping along the Mag Mile is fun if you're into that. Jordan's new store -- 32 S State Street -- is fun if your kids are into shoes. Mine are so they enjoyed that.

We did a daytime river cruise. It was pretty interesting. I hear the architectural ones are fantastic but we didn't think our little guy would tolerate the longer trip.
HECUBUS
AG
Scratched off a good school in Chicago that is recruiting our oldest. He said he didn't want to be dodging bullets.

How bad is it? I would like to visit, but would have to convince some family members.
HECUBUS
AG
Ok, on closer inspection the tourist areas look safe enough. Still, I don't want to send my kid to college there.
Tom Hagen
AG
HECUBUS said:

Scratched off a good school in Chicago that is recruiting our oldest. He said he didn't want to be dodging bullets.

How bad is it? I would like to visit, but would have to convince some family members.
If that school is U. of Chicago or DePaul, they are both in rough areas. Northwestern is in the wealthy northern suburbs.
HECUBUS
AG
U of Chicago.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.