Yellowstone in 4 Days

957 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CanyonAg77
AggieFromArkansas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are taking a big family trip to Yellowstone this summer. 3 generations, 15 people total. 8 kids ranging from 2-11. My parents took us 20 some years ago when my sisters and I were kids, now we're going back with our kids. None of us have been since that time.

We have rented a house outside of West Yellowstone. We will be there from Monday, July 3, through Saturday, July 8. We should have four full days, Tuesday through Friday. We may also have some time Monday evening depending on driving and settling in to the house.

I'd love some suggestions on ways to maximize the time. While we'd all like to think we'll be back sometime, this could be a once-in-a-lifetime event. What are the must sees? What things are overrated? Since we'll be there July 4th week, I'm assuming it will be crowded. Any good tips to avoid crowds?

We are pretty wide open. We love wildlife, and want to see as much as we can. I think the kids will go nuts for some of the geothermal stuff. I know that at least one night a few of us will take some of the kids on a hike to go backpack camping. My 8 year old has been talking about that part of the trip for 6 months now. Any recommendations for a good place for that?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
I Am A Critic
The best way to avoid crowds at that time of year is to go somewhere else.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
We went 4th of July week last year and it wasn't that bad as far as crowds go. Yes there will be crowds and traffic can be bad, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it. Probably the worst was finding parking for Old Faithful but even that was doable.

We spent three days in the park and could have spent a fourth day if we had planned better. We probably saw 60% of the park in those three days.

We purchased the Yellowstone GyPSy guide app for about $5 and it was really helpful about what to see and where to stop. You can download the app and you won't need phone service for it to work. The narrator is very good and helpful and will let you know if a site is a good place to stop depending on how much time you have. It also gave good background on the park and history of the park.

Definitely drive out to Lamar Valley one evening about 5 or 6 O'clock to see the massive buffalo herds and other animals that are out. We saw a bear cub and another bear cub was out and about but we didn't get out and see it (it is highly recommended not to get out to look at bears although many people got out of their cars and approached it.)

I don't have any recs for backpacking but the Ranger stations in the park will likely have some ideas where to go and will discuss safety as well.

knoxtom
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

We went 4th of July week last year and it wasn't that bad as far as crowds go. Yes there will be crowds and traffic can be bad, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it. Probably the worst was finding parking for Old Faithful but even that was doable.

We spent three days in the park and could have spent a fourth day if we had planned better. We probably saw 60% of the park in those three days.

We purchased the Yellowstone GyPSy guide app for about $5 and it was really helpful about what to see and where to stop. You can download the app and you won't need phone service for it to work. The narrator is very good and helpful and will let you know if a site is a good place to stop depending on how much time you have. It also gave good background on the park and history of the park.

Definitely drive out to Lamar Valley one evening about 5 or 6 O'clock to see the massive buffalo herds and other animals that are out. We saw a bear cub and another bear cub was out and about but we didn't get out and see it (it is highly recommended not to get out to look at bears although many people got out of their cars and approached it.)

I don't have any recs for backpacking but the Ranger stations in the park will likely have some ideas where to go and will discuss safety as well.

You saw 60% of Yellowstone in 3 days? That isn't possible with a helicopter. I think you mean you saw 60% of the designated tourist attractions in 3 days

The reality of Yellowstone is that 98% of visitors never get more than 1 mile off the main road. No matter what day of the year, if you want to get away from the crowds, get off the loop and away from the car.

Its the same at Yosemite. If you want away from the crowds you just have to get a mile off the roads.
SuzyQ06
Its all beautiful.

No specific sights, other than whatever you are looking at.

I do recommend picking a day and waking up before dawn. Then pick a spot on Yellowstone Lake/river and sit. You will beat most tourists and will get to watch the world wake up. For me it was a surreal experience.
CanyonAg77
AG
Old Faithful
Grand Prismatic Spring
Artist's Point and Inspiration Point views of Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

Really old thread of mine with photos

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2314784
ryanhnc10
AG
I'd say it's worth spending a day or part of a day around the Grand Tetons. There are a few nice lakes that are great spots to relax or have a picnic
buzzardb267
AG
IIRC, the speed limit is 45 mph everywhere within the park. That will help dictate how much you can cover each day. The Dragon's Mouth and Mud Volcano on the east side is a favorite with kids in part due to the noise and the smell. West Thumb is a good place to stop and stretch and take the short hike around the hot springs. The hot springs in the cold lake is pretty unique. The legend goes that one early explorer would catch trout and then dunk them in the hot spring to cook them...without moving or taking the fish off the line. The lake on the continental divide on the south side of the park is pretty neat. One end drains to Atlantic and one end drains to Pacific. We are taking our daughter and her three kids this summer for one of their Bucket List items.

Old Faithful is always a mess for traffic and crowds. I have no suggestions unless you get there at sun up...and no guarantees then. I tell everyone a trip to Yellowstone should be on everyone's Bucket List!
AggieFromArkansas
Thanks for all the great information. We'll definitely be trying to catch a sunrise or two in the park. Some in the group are not early risers, but a few of us are. I think the Lamar Valley sounds like a prime candidate, and something along the lake or river will be good as well.

I will definitely look into Dragon's Mouth and Mud Volcano as well. Just the names sound like things that will excite my kids.

I'm not sure about getting the Tetons as well. I want to make sure we have plenty of time in Yellowstone. Having our base of operations on the northwest corner means Tetons would be a pretty good drive, right?
buzzardb267
AG
A very long drive! Remember....45 mph. And Forest Service LEOs do write speeding tickets.
CanyonAg77
AG
buzzardb267 said:

A very long drive! Remember....45 mph. And Forest Service LEOs do write speeding tickets.
Might be faster going around the back way into Driggs. We stayed at Driggs and easily accessed Yellowstone, usually through Jackson.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.