Italy

2,120 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Head Ninja In Charge
cmray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone traveled to Italy recently? Going next week, and my husband is concerned about safety considering the state of Europe. This will be his first time out of the country and hoping some fellow Ags can ease his mind
SW AG80
AG
We just got back from Germany, Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic. Never felt unsafe. Were in Italy 2 years ago. Never felt unsafe then, either. Rome is a very big city so there are times when you have to be careful. Wife doesn't need to worry. Of course, terrorism can happen any place. Even in the good ol' USA.
dcbowers
AG
There are numerous recent posts on this forum that address this question.

I was in Italy (Venice, Padua and Rome) in September and felt completely safe. More visible security than most U.S. cities. My only regret was learning too late that rural cities to not have ATM machines that accept U.S. bank cards.

The Walks of Italy day tours are very informative and fun, especially for first timers.

It will be the best trip of your lives. You will probably gain 10 pounds.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Shiner79
Just returned yesterday from Milan, Venice, Verona, Florence and Lake Como
No problems anywhere. Milan probably most concerning. Active police presence with heavy duty fire power.
aggiedata
AG
Biggest problem you will have is a thief. Don't leave your bag unattended even for 10 seconds. Be aware of pickpockets.. Don't let anyone touch your bag on a train. Scam artist will try to help you with your bag and fake an injury looking for a payoff. I always use a hidden wallet in Europe.

Eagle Creek Undercover Hidden Pocket
TXTransplant
We went last summer (myself and my son). There were military personnel carrying guns everywhere, and there were metal detectors at all the major sites.

I never once felt unsafe. However, I did feel vulnerable waiting for our train at Roma Termini station. At the major stations, they don't let people onto the track unless they have a ticket. But, obviously, anyone can come into the main part of the station.

Like I said, I never felt unsafe, but I was very aware of how easy it would be to carry out an attack (and the same would apply to most major tourist and/or public transportation hubs in the US).

I also HIGHLY recommend Walks of Italy.
cmray
Thanks all for the feedback! I've been several times and enjoy traveling the world, but you know, sometimes hearing it from others instead of the rib is better. If I'm going out in a terrorist attack, I'd rather have a glass of wine and a belly full of pasta.

Walks of Italy keeps coming up. Considering their night tour of the Colosseum.
aggiedata
AG
let me add this: I have been to Rome and did all the tours without a guide, and went back back with a guide. No comparison. Do the Walks of Italy or something similar .. Well worth it. I got so much more out of the Forum or the Coliseum and Vatican with a guide.
aggiedata
AG
cmray said:

Thanks all for the feedback! I've been several times and enjoy traveling the world, but you know, sometimes hearing it from others instead of the rib is better. If I'm going out in a terrorist attack, I'd rather have a glass of wine and a belly full of pasta.

Walks of Italy keeps coming up. Considering their night tour of the Colosseum.
Well the food is what keeps me going back!
TXTransplant
aggiedata said:

let me add this: I have been to Rome and did all the tours without a guide, and went back back with a guide. No comparison. Do the Walks of Italy or something similar .. Well worth it. I got so much more out of the Forum or the Coliseum and Vatican with a guide.

Same here. Went as a cheap college student and spent a lot of time just wandering around looking at stuff. It was really cool, really old stuff, but having an educated guide is so worth it. And the standards for being a tour guide in Italy are very strict. Many of them have graduate degrees, and they are all incredibly knowledgable.

We did the VIP Colosseum tour. Going up to the third level is amazing. Only Walks of Italy is allowed up there, so it was like we had the place to ourselves.
hurleyag
AG
We just got back from Rome Sunday and never felt unsafe.

We did 3 Walks of Italy Tours. VIP Colosseum, Compete Vatican, and Pizza Cooking.

I highly recommend the cooking tour. It was the highlight of our trip.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Just got back myself with my wife from Italy last month. It was also my first time to Europe as well. I researched a lot before I went listening mostly to Rick Steves, and he was spot on. The only thing he, and I am sure you have told him this, is to watch out for thieves and pick pocketers. One of our stops was in Rome, and I never felt unsafe in Rome or anywhere else. Tell him to lighten up and enjoy yalls trip. It will not disappoint one bit. I wish I could go back tomorrow. I had the time of my life there. Also, download Rick Steves Audio Europe App if you all do NOT plan to buy a tour guide for any of the major sites. It is free to download, and you will have some idea of the history that you all are looking at.
DanHo2010
AG
I was in Italy April 21-29. 4.5 days in Rome, 2 in Florence, 1 in Ostia. Incredible trip and country that I recommend to absolutely anyone. Never felt unsafe. Thousands of tourists everywhere, so the general verdict of the masses also seems to be that it's very safe.
Ag CPA
AG
The primary city in Europe that concerns me is Paris (which we are going back to next spring with our kids); no amount of security can prevent some of the things that city has experienced the past few years, thanks in large part to the demographics.

And the pickpocket issue in Italy is real, especially Rome. I have been there four times and someone has tried to take my wallet on every trip.
Lily09
AG
My husband and I went to Venice and Rome last July and we had no issues. I'll agree with those saying to watch out for pickpocketers. We had a waist wallet thing that went under our clothes with most of our Euros for that day, copy of ID and copy of passports. My husband kept his wallet in his front pocket and I carried a cross body purse that I had mostly in front of me and my hand on it. Just precaution.

Use the safe in your hotel room.

We had no issues though and really enjoyed the people and culture there. We didn't feel in danger, but we made sure we were aware of our surroundings.
supermanrv
AG
We were in Rome when the concert hall shooting in Paris occurred, and we still felt safe the entire time. There were numerous armed guards out of popular tourist sites. Keep your wallet in a safe location on your person. As stated before, be aware of your surroundings.
Always_Right
AG
Felt just as safe in large European cities as I do in NYC, LA or Chicago. I was in London during the most recent terrorist attack and never felt unsafe, not going because of possible terrorist attacks means they win.
GrayMatter
AG
My wife and I went to Rome in January. We walked the streets outside of Rome at night and used public transportation early before the sun rose and never felt unsafe.

As a matter of fact, one day while outside the Vatican City, I was taking pictures of some building and this Peter Pan looking officer approached me and asked to see my phone. He wanted to make sure that I didn't take a picture of them. Apparently, they take their role very seriously and they do look for anything out of the ordinary.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Was in Rome last August for a few days. Felt safer walking around there than I do walking around downtown Houston.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.