Tallinn Estonia?

1,273 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 30 yard line
whasty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to St. Petersburg next year and am thinking about a stopover in Tallinn. Any suggestions? How many days is enough for Tallinn? Any interesting day trips?

Thanks.

Oak Forest Ag
AG
Worth a day and a night. Very cool old town, a bit touristy as I recall, but worth a stop.

I cannot recall anything that was "can't miss", but I was there six years ago.......
helloag99
We are going there on a Baltic Cruise next month. We only have a few hours so we are just going to walk around the old town. We looked at some of the excursions available to us and nothing really knocked our socks off but we are taking 3 kids between 4 and 10 with us.
whasty
AG
My current thinking is it's no more than 2 or 3 days at the most. My guess is the old town is similar to Prague but smaller.

It does look like most of the crowd is coming of cruise ships.
CDub06
AG
We are making a Scandinavian jaunt next month and will be spending a few days in Tallinn. I'm pretty excited about it as it looks like a bit more authentic than Prague (also after spending the week in Norway and Denmark, I'll be looking forward to the Estonia prices).

Our agenda consists of a lot of just walking around old town: Gardens, cathedrals, the wall. We will also spend a day east of town, seeing the sights of Kadriorg Park and going to Pirita beach.

It's also a very easy ferry over to Helsinki, so we're spending a day over there before we fly out of the Helsinki airport.
mike073
AG
In 2013 we spent a day in Old Town, coming over from Helsinki. Stopped in at the Texas Honky Tonk Cantina - hope it is still there.

Found several very good chocolate shops.

The Eastern part of the wall is much less crowded and there is a great park just outside of it.

The Old Dominican Monastery near the West part of the wall is very interesting and loaded with artifacts from the 13th century.

Estonia is quite proud of the fact they were the first Soviet Union country admitted to NATO. Outside the South entrance is a somber, grey stone Soviet style stadium/theater which really looks out of place with all the medieval buildings nearby.

One full day or two half days would be enough.

As noted above, Helsinki is a good place to tour around for a day.

Seven Costanza
AG
No more than one day each for Helsinki and Tallinn.
helloag99
mike073 said:

Texas Honky Tonk Cantina
according to the web, it is still there.

We will be seeking it out! I am sure by that point in our trip we will all need a reminder of home.

mike073
AG
It was a surprise to see the Lone Star flying proudly.

Gig 'em Aggies!

helloag99
[img][/img] We had lunch here

jmg3
AG
If you get a chance, Riga Latvia is a gem. One of my favorite places I've ever been.
30 yard line
I suggest going to the Hotel Viru and taking a tour of the old KGB office.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.