Anyone have ideas on what to do in Prince Rupert, Canada

764 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
Tree Hugger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is one of our stops on a cruise in July and the only things that seem interesting (grizzly bear watching) are fairly expensive. We are almost leaning towards just walking around town a bit or trying to find a trail to hike.

Anyone been there?
RachAg2007
AG
We did the whale watching tour. I enjoyed it but my husband was so thrilled he never left the top (outside) of the catamaran. We saw maybe 2 dozen whales and watched a humpback breach.
It seems a little pricey but with the Canadian dollar exchange rate (at that time) I felt like it was a steal.
We did not do any hiking in PR- the weather was not spectacular and we wound up having a great hiking experience, and better weather, further inland at Terrace.

Edit- the town itself is nothing impressive. There is a little touristy area by the harbor with some shops and restaurants. I believe there is a nice visitors center at the harbor as well with lots of information about the area. The grizzly bear watching tour might be interesting. That area is where the elusive kermonde or "spirit bear" roams around. If we had more time there I probably would have included the grizzly bear tour.
buzzardb267
AG
Hug Trees?
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I'd spend the money and see if you could do a half day salmon fishing trip with a guide.
Tree Hugger
AG
We ended up booking a kayak tour. I'm playing the system slightly, but the cruise line (Oceania) offers an unlimited excursion package for $329 each. Some excursions are included in the package and if you want to do one that costs over $199 you pay the difference. I had already booked excursions in Ketchikan and Sitka to the tune of $1,016 for two of us, so by the time I switched to their unlimited package I was able to keep the same excursions I had already booked and then add the Prince Rupert excursion for no additional cost, it actually ended up being $2 less than my previous total.

Winning?
schmendeler
AG
their drops are pretty cool
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.