Boston-DC and all points between in 2 weeks

1,443 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dcAg
HECUBUS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Start by flying into Newark, train to Manhatten and acclimate for a few days; 2 kids, 11 & 16; This will be a marathon of sprints. Main purpose is fun, but visiting colleges as well. Staying in NY, Boston, Philadelphia and D.C., at least. We need two months to do what we want, but we'll do what we can. We plan to mostly use trains and travel light, maybe fly Between Boston and NY.

We are insane without a plan, but we have time. I'm thankful for this board, have already found some good stuff and will keep looking. So far, we have a list of things to see/visit and an idea of where to start.

This is fun.

bones75
AG
We enjoyed taking the train from Manhatten to Boston.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HECUBUS
AG
High speed train? Time? Cost? Sorry, I have no clue. Just having fun thinking about it all. It's been a while since we've had time to go anywhere.
ToddyHill
AG
Not a high speed train. Don't know if it is still the same, but the engines from NYC to New Haven are electric. In New Haven the engines switch to diesel, so there was a brief layover.
HECUBUS
AG
The high speed trains are booked three months in advance. It was tough finding a hotel and we switched to JFK. We will probably switch hotels too, but had to reserve something. Hopefully the NY part is the most difficult.
Federale01
AG
The only two things worth seeing in PA off the train line are Gettysburg and Amish Country and Gettysburg can be seen as a day trip up from DC. So, I guess what I am trying to say is.... IMHO, feel free to skip most of PA and only spend a day in Philly to see the historically significant sights.
HECUBUS
AG
We plan one night in Philadelphia, most of the time in DC, Boston and NYC. There's one school on the list and some other stuff to see in Philadelphia. We are debating an up-state NY trip for a couple of schools that made early contact and reducing the time in Boston. Maybe we skip a Red Sox game and catch a Baltimore game instead. Crab in Baltimore is on the list. There are many good options; we will have to have backup plans and be flexible.
Federale01
AG
It's hard to find a good crab house in Baltimore itself. But you can find quite a few around the Annapolis area and the town itself is worth the 30 minute drive from Bmore. In Bmore, the inner Harbor is pretty cool as is Fort McHenry. Just don't wander too far past the safe areas of inner harbor, federal hill, little Italy or Fells Point.

I have been to games at both stadiums. Both a great. Camden is a more modern stadium where you get a deeper sense of history at Fenway.

Have fun. I have never done upstate NY but the finger lakes region is definitely on my list.
HECUBUS
AG
Good information. The wife had the best blue crabs in her life (flown in from Texas) while in Annapolis. We were thinking Baltimore would have similar. We had no other reason to stop in Baltimore.

Sounds like Fenway gets the ball game for us anyway. It would be interesting to see Baltimore play Boston these days. Kid scratched off the upstate school visits and added one in NY and one in CT so back to the original path.
HECUBUS
AG
We grabbed a place in Manhatten, hoping to find better later. Three months in advance and it's booked. We were lucky to get what we did. D.C. was easy and Boston the most expensive. Too many schools to visit, we are trying to keep it at six or seven in fifteen days. I think the amount of luggage we can take on the train will determine what we can travel with. This isn't an easy trip to plan.
VikingNik
AG
You can take more luggage on a train than on a plane so don't let that part get to you. Also, have no clue what this engine change thing is about. All electrified to Boston. Acela is expensive. You can take the NE Regionals. A few more stops and not as glam but comfy seats.
HECUBUS
AG
Got all the hotels, flights, campus visits and tickets to Fenway, and the obligatory broadway play. My wife got the information on the baggage restrictions for Amtrak . I certainly don't know and won't argue. The less the better, I'll have to be hauling it around on the streets of NYC.

Two nights in Philadelphia, near Independence Hall with a day trip to NJ, one night on the Baltimore inner harbor, three nights in Boston, four nights each in NYC and D.C. So far...

Haha, typed Amway for Amtrak.
HECUBUS
AG
You are correct. The trains didn't care.
GigEmAgs15
AG
Trains are so much better than flying. Took the one from NYC to Baltimore a few years ago, and I highly recommend it. So much less hassle, and luggage requirements are much easier to comply with.
HECUBUS
AG
Loved the trains. One from NYC to Boston was 35 minutes delayed, the rest were no motre than 5 minutes off. Four of us sat together every time. 110 plugs at every seat, free WiFi and parfait. "Everybody loves a parfait" my daughter frequently reminded me.

We did trains NYC to Boston to Philadelphia to Baltimore to D.C.
dcAg
Did a similar trip with one of my boys when he was looking at the Ivies. Hit all 8 in about a week. Had a great time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.