Recs for Jackson Hole in June

3,028 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bellaboo
bellaboo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best place to stay? Restaurants we can't miss? Cool easy hikes? Best golf course? TIA
TommyGun
AG
Here are some of our favorites...

Accommodations:
-Huff House
-Cowboy Village
-Elk Country Inn
-Parkway Inn

Restaurants:
-The Bunnery (breakfast & bakery)
-Gun Barrel Steak & Game House (get the elk chop)
-Pinky G's Pizzeria
-The Bird (great burgers and nice patio deck)
-Sidewinders (typical sports bar atmosphere & food)
-Lift (get the nachos)

Easy Hikes:
-Jenny Lake loop trail
-Hidden Falls trail
-Taggart Lake trail

Golf:
-Teton Pines (I don't play but my boss raves about it)

Other Recs:
-Float trip down the Snake River (if flow rates aren't too high)
-White water rafting in Snake River Canyon should be epic this year if you're in to that
-Wildlife Art Museum
-Grand Teton N.P. visitor center (cool displays and info on the region)
-Horseback riding at the Mill Iron Ranch (1/2 & full day trips available)
-Aerial Tram at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (excellent views and delicious waffles at Corbet's Cabin)

p.s. If you're a backcountry skier then there is a good chance you could still find good stashes of snow off of the tram and around Teton Pass in June

cplatt
Depends what you want to do and who is with you.

Lots of nice places to stay downtown, there is a brand new spring hill suites, the hotel jackson, white buffalo club...all of these are probably $350 plus a night, but within steps of the square. For a bit less but still down near square, Lexington hotel is clean a nice but not a luxury property, and the quality inn 49er is the same, but I would guess even they are in $250/night range. A bit further off the square the Hampton inn is clean and fine if you just need a home base and if the rate is significantly less than others can be a good move. Highly unlikely to find much for under $200 night in the area.

If you wanted to stay in Teton village the rates are pretty similar but it's a different feel, it's about 15 min from the square as a drive. Hotel Terra, Snake River Lodge, Teton Mountain Lodge are all nice and in the $300 night range.

For a bit different view and place to stay, Spring Creek Ranch is on a butte overlooking the tetons and the valley and the views are great and the facilities and service up there are usually excellent. Rooms aren't fancy but they are spacious, and I would guess $250-300 night. If you are a real high roller then stay at the adjacent Amangani hotel on the same butte for probably $900 plus a night.

Plenty of nice vrbo type options in the area as well. If you are in a tighter budget then maybe consider staying across the pass in Victor, ID or Driggs, ID at vrbo type places as the rates over there are much more likely to be under $200 night and the drive is about 30-45 minutes into jackson, barring traffic.

Peak season can certainly jam the area highways.

For things to do, it's your pick: hiking, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, mountain biking, horseback riding, shopping, wildlife and park tours (I have used brushbuck tours several times and all have been great) as well as float trips and whitewater rafting. For an easy hike I recommend the phelps lake loop or the Jenny lake.

If you or anyone going enjoys beer then there are a number of good breweries. In jackson, Snake River Brewery is the most popular and has some great beers. If you do get across the pass, stop in at Grand Teton brewery and their tasting room is small with little fanfare but it's very cozy.

If you have any interest in liquor, stop in and do a short tour as well as taste a few of the offerings that Jackson Hole Stillworks is doing, just south of town in Jackson. Currently they have a vodka and gin, whiskey is coming sooner than later, but tell the owners Travis or Chas that Clay said hello.

Food options could go anywhere for any budget and taste. Higher end, I like Trio (which is just off the square), Local (which is on the square), Bin 22 (for tapas and its just off square), and Cafe Genevieve.

If you must have a Mexican food fix then Merry Piglets is better than average especially for out of the southwest, most of the BBQ places around are serviceable, just know it's not much brisket on menus. For a good burger there is a place off the main drag, not on square, called Macphails, and while not cheap, the burger and fries are excellent. Snake River brewery serves up some really good mid range food too. One of my favorites is to stop by Local Butcher (just off square) and get a sandwich there (they have daily specials but I'm partial to their house smoked corned beef Reuben). If you wanted a bit nicer vibe and some seafood then Rendezvous Bistro by the Hampton Inn has some great dishes and almost always oysters. For a good upscale taqueria type place, hatch is great, and late night, pinky g's pizza is open.

For breakfast Bubbas BBQ, although I can't endorse them for BBQ, they have a large and well appointed breakfast buffet. Pearl Street bagels and The Bunnery are two other good options to try for anything from just a lighter muffin to a full on heavy greasy breakfast. If you must get donuts then try out Nom Nom donuts as it's a local favorite.

Feel free to ask, I know more than I should for not being a local, but while it's not cheap it's a great area to visit and see.
bellaboo
Wow, that's super helpful! We are going as a babymoon/anniversary trip, so it's just the two of us and we plan to take it relatively easy. Rooms in the $300-$350/night range are what we expect. Any familiarity with Jackson Hole Lodge? We've had a couple friends mention it to us as a nice place to stay. Because it's a babymoon, we will likely want to spend at least part of a day at a spa. Any of those places you mentioned have a spa?
Golf at Teton Pines, horseback riding, some of the hikes mentioned above, Aerial tram and the spa are definitely on our list now.
Should we plan on renting a car or is this a place we can walk and get a cab/Uber a few times?
cplatt
Uber and Lyft are both operating within the area now, but currently do not go to/from the airport. I personally like car rental because of the variety of activities in the area you may choose.

As far as the Jackson Hole Lodge, I am not personally familiar with it, but there are very few places that survive at those prices if they don't step up their game.

Spa wise, my preference is the Snake River Lodge's spa, I have always had great experiences and their facilities including the large outdoor hot tub are great. Also in Teton Village the Hotel Terra spa is well thought of, and the hotel itself has a nice rooftop hot tub. If you did stay in Teton Village there are plenty of dining options in the village itself, Mangy Moose is a fun bar with live music and good middle priced food, just a good time. Spur is in the Teton Mountain Lodge and has some tasty dishes and cold drinks, and the gas station in the village called the Bodega has a full meat market and makes some tasty sandwiches.

Amangani's spa is nice as you would expect for the property, but I preferred Snake River more, and Spring Creek also has their own spa. If you stayed up at Spring Creek one thing I love is that their hot tubs, which there are three of and one really nice one by the main building, are 24 hours so you can stay as late as you wish. I forgot to mention as a dining rec, as it's not what it maybe once was, but for higher end dining, and truly just a time I have always enjoyed, dinner at sunset at the Granary restaurant at Spring Creek ranch (I recommend reservations) is hard to beat just for overall ambience. I personally prefer sitting at the bar and you can watch the sunset over the tetons as you drink and eat.

In town, many many options for dining and lodging but for spa, I will get back with you as I haven't personally used one in town.

If you got any other questions feel free to shoot me an email at clay dot platt at sbcglobal dot net. For me, as you can probably tell, it's a favorite place and I love to share what I can so others can find it amazing too. Great advice on the other post as well.
nosoupforyou
AG
wow - some great recommendations on here - wish I had known about this board before I went to Jackson Hole myself.. a few favorites of mine

I don't see any mentions of driving to Wilson - 10 minutes or so from Downtown JH but it's nice and there's a restaurant called Calico Italian Restaurant - sit outside and enjoy - so quaint!

absolutely don't miss Driving down Antelope Flats area - buffalo viewing at sunrise and sunset - then hit Mormon Row - stunning Teton's in the background - loves this area

Taggard Lake - this is awesome - don't miss

Jenny Lake - take the boat across, then hike to Hidden Falls and then up to inspiration Point - don't miss!

Oxbow Bend and Snake River Overlook were really pretty
many9
We are about to go to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone for our honeymoon in a couple weeks. We have never been there before. Only set plans so far is we are doing a Grand Tetons half day tour with Brushbuck. Besides that, we are just excited to explore the whole area. We have heard great things before about Jenny Lake. We are staying at the Huff House Inn in Jackson and the Old Faithful Inn for Yellowstone. I am planning to look at all the restaurants/hikes y'all have recommended. If y'all have any other recommendations, that would be great!

Thanks for all of the information!
nosoupforyou
AG
to me, Jackson Hole was quaint and beautiful

we did go to Yellowstone for a day but didn't go back a second day as we originally planned - it was so crowded and touristy - very different feel - but we didn't get very far north as we were staying in JH

definitely don't miss the highlights I mentioned above - then add other things to fill in the trip

Also - I found and visited a wonderful church that met in a school house and then catered lunch for the entire congregation - highly recommend if you are there on Sunday - found it because of the kind people at Harvest Bread Company attended there and they invited us
mpl35
AG
Really great advice so far. I'll add get up EARLY. Sure you will still have photographers everywhere but if you want the best pics and the best wildlife...predawn is the time to be out. Bears and moose are much easier early.

Mystic falls was short and nice
Uncle toms trail

You can spend several days in just one area and not see it all.
TheCougarHunter
AG
So, ask one of the locals, but one of the liquor stores in this strip mall has an unassuming door in the back. You'll have to find a local of to take you there. Anyways through this unassuming door in the back of this liquor store there is a bumpin club. I'm talking lights, smoke, DJ, **** was crazy!
johnrth
Go to Nora's fish creek inn in Wilson for breakfast. Ive been going there since I was a kid when we visit Jackson.

If anyone is planning to visit Jackson in August the total solar eclipse will be passing directly over get in national park.

TommyGun
AG
You guys will love the Huff House. My wife and I stayed there the first weekend it opened and had a great experience. The owner is a very nice fellow and he usually eats breakfast and visits with the guests each morning. I'll just add one more thing and that is to not be afraid of going south of Jackson into the Hoback Canyon area. Most tourist concentrate on Jackson Hole and the area north up to Yellowstone, however, I think the Hoback's are great too and you can find some solitude by the river trout fishing or just driving through.

As mentioned earlier, try to get up early on your way to Yellowstone and make a stop at Oxbow Bend in either early morning or late evening to get a picture. You guys will have a lot of fun and the area should be absolutely beautiful this year with all the snow and precipitation we've received here in Wyoming. I would expect lush green meadows and plenty of snow lingering around in the mountains.

Oxbow Bend

Hoback River flowing next to Battle Mountain

Gros Ventre Wilderness just south of Jackson

bellaboo
Thanks for all of the suggestions! We leave on Friday and will be there til Tuesday. Question for those of you who have been/go regularly:
Should we rent a car or can we get away with mostly walking and getting a cab or an Uber a few times? We are staying at the brand new Marriott in Jackson (it's on West Simpson Avenue between S Milward and S Glenwood streets.
StillNotAnAggie
I am headed there the week after next. Any recs for bike rental places, my wife wants to rent one to ride around. Also, any hikes that are good for kids? Mine are 8 and 6 and we have taken them before, I just don't want to push them too much.

I will take any and all recs are we are there for a week.

Thanks.
htxag09
AG
This may be one of the better recommendation threads I've seen on the Travel board....
htxag09
AG
One thing I'll add (saw it briefly mentioned) is a fly fishing trip. The wife and I really enjoyed it and she's not a huge fisherman. We used reel deal anglers. I believe Rhett is an Aggie.
bellaboo
We didn't rent bikes, so I can't help you there, but I can give you some recommendations since we just got home a couple days ago.
The trip was fantastic - all recs on here were true to form. We weren't able to see/do all, but we had a blast. Only thing I would change is where we stayed. We booked Springhill suites Marriott, and it was okay but nothing even remotely standout. We will go with a privately owned inn next time.
Staying in Jackson was definitely the right choice. Stay in town so you can walk everywhere from your hotel. We visited Teton Village (to do the Aerial tram) and although beautiful, it was definitely a different feel. Jackson is pretty hipster-esque, but with a cool mountain vibe. Everywhere is super casual.
Things to do:
- hiking Jenny Lake was probably my favorite. Hidden falls and Inspiration point (two of the top ranked hikes in the area) were both closed, as was the ferry service across the lake. Park rangers said they would be closed the rest of the year. We started at the Jenny Lake loop trailhead and hiked to the lookout point and back - about 3ish miles total and the views were stunning. Easy hike.
- aerial tram in Teton Village. Costs $30pp round trip but definitely worth it. Takes you up to the top of Mt. Rendezvous where you can wander around above the snow line (bring your jacket for this one), grab some waffles at the cool dive place at the top, and just take in those amazing views. Worth the trip.
- massages at the Rusty Parrott. Sage Spa was the name of it I think. Small place but excellent service and massages were heavenly.
- Golf at Jackson Hole Golf course was fun with great views. Might try Teton Pines next time - heard from several people it was awesome.

Places to eat:
- breakfast - the Bunnery was great, but our favorite was Persephone Bakery. Decent breakfast at the Silver Dollar too.
- lunch - Liberty Burger was prettty good. Wanted to try MacPhail's but it was closed the day we tried to go.
- dinner - Local was excellent for a nice dinner. Eating Italian out on the patio at Glorietta's was great too. Snake River Brewing Co was alright.

Ok that's all I can think of at the moment. Enjoy!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.