Paris in June

10 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JoniG
bigjordo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to Paris for the month of June with my wife and 3 kids (4,6, & 9 years old)

Our plan is mostly to hang out, walk around, play in the parks, eat ridiculous food, and me and the wife to drink some wine. She's got us tickets for Eiffel and the louvre and Versailles.

Is there anything else you guys think we should absolutely do?
BlueAg2003
AG
You're going to be there for the whole month?
awesome sauce
AG
Take the train to Normandy and take a D-Day tour.
bigjordo
AG
Yes for the whole month. I travel for work all the time and want an extended vacation with my family.

We want to keep plans to a minimum and just hang out for a bit. But if there are things that are legit must dos then we will slot some more planned stuff in.
Always_Right
AG
Went in early April and it is now my favorite city. I also second the D-Day tour, it was one of the highlights of our trip. Also, definitely do Versailles, you can spend the whole day there, rent canoes on the water and rent a golf cart and drive around the grounds. We took a boat along the Seine river that takes you to all the major stops. Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower and the Louvre are all great places to start. I'm very jealous that you will be there for a month, its an amazing city.
CEPhD
AG
Train to Fontainebleau and check out Napoleon's crib?
CS78
The flea markets look like a neat way to burn a day with the family.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/events/paris-flea-market?mc_cid=c822a35192&mc_eid=fa58430a63

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=paris+flea+markets&spf=1
Ag CPA
AG
If you are going to be there a whole month I would tale the kids to Disneyland one day.
TXTransplant
Ag CPA said:

If you are going to be there a whole month I would tale the kids to Disneyland one day.

Came here to post this. The foreign parks have some very unique things that you can't see/do in the US parks.
V8Aggie
AG
Go see Normandy beaches... teach the kids something. Very sobering place.

Also- sounds lame but the Paris sewer tour is pretty cool (and stinky). Only takes an hour or so.

Also I can't imagine having to take the kids to Versailles... ugh sounds painful.
Ronnie
AG
Go to the Loire valley - check out the Chateaux

There are popular ones and out of the way ones. Probably good 3-4 days could be spent on that between Tours and Orleans.

Champagne country

Heck, for a side trip take a train to the riviera, Monaco/Marseille. Of course the rest of Europe is in reach as well. I want to go to Ghent, didn't get to do that when I was there in Paris, but I didn't have the time like you do!
Always_Right
AG
Ronnie said:

Go to the Loire valley - check out the Chateaux

There are popular ones and out of the way ones. Probably good 3-4 days could be spent on that between Tours and Orleans.

Champagne country

Heck, for a side trip take a train to the riviera, Monaco/Marseille. Of course the rest of Europe is in reach as well. I want to go to Ghent, didn't get to do that when I was there in Paris, but I didn't have the time like you do!
Yeah that's a really good point, London is a 2 hour train ride north if you've never been. Lots of opportunities to explore France and other cities/countries as well.
Vernada
AG
Congrats. That's awesome.

If you don't already have lodging you should get an apartment.

Get Rick Steves Paris book. It'll be invaluable for the amount of time you'll have for exploring.
TriAg2010
AG
V8Aggie said:

Also I can't imagine having to take the kids to Versailles... ugh sounds painful.

The palace would be a beating with small kids, but I'd think the Versailles gardens would be a fine with kids. It's only like a 30-45 minute train ride on RER.
Post removed:
by user
bigjordo
AG
Awesome. Thanks guys.

We rented an AirBnB that's <.5 mile from the Eiffel Tower.

We're doing Versailles with Fat Bike tours who apparently have a kid friendly version of the tour. We'll see.

Anyone have must-eat restaurant recommendations? We really prefer hole in the wall stuff. Not planning on anything fancy with the kids because, well, that's just a terrible idea.
Vernada
AG
bigjordo said:

Awesome. Thanks guys.

We rented an AirBnB that's <.5 mile from the Eiffel Tower.

We're doing Versailles with Fat Bike tours who apparently have a kid friendly version of the tour. We'll see.

Anyone have must-eat restaurant recommendations? We really prefer hole in the wall stuff. Not planning on anything fancy with the kids because, well, that's just a terrible idea.

You're either in the Rue Cler area or at least very close - which is near Ecole Militaire. Definitely spend some time strolling that neighborhood. Lots of good cafes, bakeries, grocers, wine shops, etc.. even a plain ol grocery store which I'm sure you'll need with as much time as you have.
Vernada
AG
bigjordo said:

Again, Rick Steves Paris book will be invaluable. Loads of restaurant ideas. One of the best things though for the length of your stay will be all the self guided tours that he has in that book. He's also good at finding places that are a little off the beaten path.
FredMc92
My family went last summer. The Polidor in the 6th arrondissement is very family friendly and casual. Best boeuf bourguignon I've ever had. http://www.polidor.com/

On Ile St Louis, try Le Saint-Regis (6 Rue Jean du Bellay, 75004 Paris, France). A great setting and very good food.

My wife and 9-year-old son went back to Paris in the fall, and they said Boullion Chartier in the 9th was great. Really reasonable prices. http://www.bouillon-chartier.com/en/

Oh, Chez Paul in the 11th (http://www.chezpaul.com/) is pretty good. The steak au poivre was outstanding, and it comes with some crazy good potato dish. If you go, try the Ile flottant for dessert.

All the little crepe shops are fun for the kids. We all liked the nutella (or nutella and banana).

Have a great time!
JoniG
AG
With the age of your kids I would go to the museum d'orsay. It is smaller and more manageable than Louvre, and also a former train station. Take a boat ride down the Seine. You can take a high speed train to Brussels which your kids would love. The food and the scenery is great and the train ride in the countryside is beautiful. The Luxembourg Gardens are a fun place for the kids to run and play and for a picnic and a glass of wine or two. Eat where the locals eat in the small quaint places. I'll be in Nice for a month this summer too!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.