Eastern Europe

644 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheFirebird
Fat Tony
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to a wedding in Greece in October. Meeting two friends in Vienna in September. Leaving Vienna for Budapest and then traveling south to Greece.

No set plans yet as to which countries/cities we will see along the way. Any places we should definitely visit and/or avoid?

SW AG80
AG
I assume you are young. Go to Prague while you are in that part of the world. We just got back last night from Europe and spent the last 3 days in Prague. LOTS of young people. Great city. We spent 2 days in Budapest but the weather was so bad we did not see as much as we would have liked. Vienna was the most most disappointing place we visited. It is fairly expensive and pretty big--1.7 million. Prague is a must. Especially for someone your age.
Fat Tony
AG
Thanks!

I should have mentioned that we visited Prague a couple of years ago. I really liked it. Would recommend it to anyone.

Each of us in our group is in our 30s. Not looking to party - just see what there is to see as we travel south from Budapest.
07ag
AG
slovenia,, loved everywhere i went there, lake bled, ljubljana, skocjan caves, piran

coastal croatia is also gorgeous
aggie7911
Slovakia.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
My suggestion would be to try and find a way into Sarajevo.

Maybe like Sarajevo, Mostar, Kotor and Dubrovnik?

I've talked about Dubrovnik on here before, but I wasn't a big fan. The old town has become too commercialized for my tastes though it is beautiful. I still think about having a beer at one of the Buza bars after a day of sightseeing...

Have fun.
CDub06
AG
Weird. My thoughts are exactly opposite of yours. I LOVE Vienna. It may be my favorite city in the world. I found Prague extremely disappointing. It just feels to me like an in-authentic tourist trap at this point. There's fun to be had, but I think it to be a bit oversold.

Edit: I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from visiting Prague. It's worth it. Just trying to manage expectations I guess.
SW AG80
AG
The weather in Vienna was terrible. That certainly could have affected our outlook while there.
TheFirebird
AG
I echo the suggestions of Sarajevo and Mostar if you can. If you really fancy an adventure, Kosovo offers some amazing ancient and current history. My favorites were Prizren and the Decani monastery. Be aware that the Serbs might not let you enter with Kosovo passport stamps.

Vienna is fantastic, but expensive. I preferred it to Prague.

I will be in central and western Slovakia next week, looking forward to getting another notch on the belt for CE/EE.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.