Carnival Valor

1,879 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tsuag10
tailgating hall of fame
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cruising out of Galveston in July on Carnival Valor. 1st time cruising, looking for any insight, information, or advice from those that have cruised on Carnival and especially Carnival Valor. Thanks in advance.
I Am A Critic
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215
aggmaroon
AG
I went on the Valor in March. It was a nice ship. We really enjoy the Red Frog Pub. We went with 35 other people. It was for a family event. Cruises are definitely more fun when you know people.

It's hard to know what to tell you if this is your first cruise. I would advise asking questions on Cruise Critic, as advised, and reading the forums. You can also find tons of information in the Carnival FAQs. Also, you might want to join a Facebook group for your cruise. They're usually easy to find. It's a really great place to ask questions.

We have been on 5 cruises. Not an expert, but we are very well versed about what you can and cannot do. I would be happy to answer anything specific if you have anything.

Here's a couple of things people usually don't know - everyone over 21 can bring on one regular size bottle of wine or champagne. Bring your own corkscrew and uncork it yourself, and you won't have to pay a cork fee. Everyone can bring on a 12-pack of canned beverages (non-alcoholic).
tailgating hall of fame
Thank you for your response. Any suggestions on shore excursions?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Bring lanyards for everyone you cardvis your life line
On the boat
Went on the freedom and having an excursion in honduras critical as there is nothing worthwhile at the port

It took a while to get settled in as it was first cruise but took 8 and 10 year old and they had a blast

The red frog was aterrible on our ship and was always empty played a sheet ton of foosball
Texas Ag Mom
Ports of call?
tailgating hall of fame
Cozumel & Progresso
MookieBlaylock
AG
Cozumel you def want an excusion as the port is expensive
We did stingrays which was pretty cool
Ag81Golf
The later you board the better. We have taken several last minute cruses since we live in the area. If you board at 3:00 or later there are no long lines and you can breeze through. Take in a nice lunch somewhere in Galveston around 1:00 or so and don't rush.
Al Bula
AG
Take a bottle of spray bleach. Cruise ship bathrooms all smell like piss.
Mustang1
AG
Ag81Golf said:

The later you board the better. We have taken several last minute cruses since we live in the area. If you board at 3:00 or later there are no long lines and you can breeze through. Take in a nice lunch somewhere in Galveston around 1:00 or so and don't rush.
how are you notified when last minute cruises are available?
CalTex
tailgating HOF,
I have cruised Carnival 3 times -- once out of Miami (Ecstasy) and twice out of Galveston (Conquest, Magic).

regarding Cozumel, try the Twister boat to Isla Pasion. Very nice beach, I think it's the one where they film those Corona commercials (couple sitting on the beach, squirt limes -- you know the ones). The twister boat takes on about a 20 minute ride to the island... once on the island they have a few free activities (kayakes, paddleboats, water trampoline), and pretty nice buffet as well.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel/all-inclusive-isla-pasion-by-twister-304107

I would get on the ship as early as you can since it's your first cruise, gives you time to walk around and explore for a while, get your bearings, get some food, etc.

I would suggest bringing on a case of soft drinks or water bottles.
Also bring a large mug with a lid or something like that if you plan on eating outside, buffet,etc (non-main dining room)... the cups they give you are tiny and you will waste a lot of time (and energy) walking back and forth to get refills of iced tea, water, lemonade and their drink stations.

Don't spend much time in your cabin,,, you can hang out in a "hotel room" another time. Wake up early, stay up late. Go out and see every show (magic shows, dance show, stand-up comeding-- catch the PG13 version during the evening and the "Adult" version after 10pm), explore the ship, chill on the side decks of the ship if you want "quiet time". Go to at least a couple of breakfasts and dinners at the main dinning room, order foods you have never tried before, order two entrees at dinner.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here.
tsuag10
AG
Planning on the exact same cruise as the OP during the last week of November.
Does the OP (or anyone else) have any advice to add to this topic?
TIA
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.