train travel on East Coast

437 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Matsui
aggiegal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are planning 2.5 weeks of East Coast travel this summer (two boys, ages 13 and 11). We fly into Boston and out of Roanoke, Virginia (we have family near there).

The plan is to take trains from Boston to NYC, NYC to Baltimore, Baltimore to DC, DC to Lynchburg, VA.

Can anyone clarify how baggage works? We will have a couple of big suitcases. Most trains show "no checked baggage" and the one Boston-NYC train I've seen that does allow it has a 9:30 pm departure and 2:30 am arrival, which is less than desirable (although super cheap). Am I missing something, or are big suitcases really not allowed?
HtownAg19
AG
https://m.amtrak.com/mt/www.amtrak.com/carry-on-baggage
aggiegal99
So what they call "carry on" is different than what airlines call carry-on, correct? I can walk on to the train with a normal sized suitcase? (which is what I want to do).
HtownAg19
AG
That's my understanding but I'd call them up and check if you wanna know specifics
JSKolache
AG
aggiegal99 said:

So what they call "carry on" is different than what airlines call carry-on, correct? I can walk on to the train with a normal sized suitcase? (which is what I want to do).
Yes. You slide your suitcases into the luggage rack above your head - you'll have much more room than on planes. You also don't have to arrive 2 hrs early, so that's nice. Acela is faster w/ smoother ride & less stops.
Matsui
AG
That is correct. just put your suitcase above you or in front of each car there are luggage holding racks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.