Taking the wife to San Fran in June

1,574 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JAW3336
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are getting away from the kid for 4 nights and I am looking for any and all suggestions.

Using Hyatt points so probably staying at Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf unless there is a reason not too.

Must do/see?

Should we spend one night in Napa?

Where is the best place for Redwoods/sequoias within a reasonable drive?

tia
BQ78
AG
Alcatraz (but your probably too late), bay cruise with dinner, Anchor Steam tour, Giants baseball game.

Yes to Napa.
Roc96
AG
Try to get tour tickets to Alcatraz. Lots of services will "show you" Alcatraz, but you can't get off the boat and look. It's awesome to see.

Lots of good restaurants on Fisherman's Wharf.

Don't be shocked to see folks smoking out in plain view. The SF Police does not attend to illicit drug users, in general.

Always_Right
AG
Taking my mom in June for her birthday, already booked Alcatraz tickets, Yosemite is a 3 hour drive from San Fran. Also going to check out Muir Woods which has Redwoods north of San Fran.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Take the double decker tour bus. If you buy the whole day pass, you can use the tour bus just like public transportation.
bam02
AG
I think I'd skip Yosemite. It's beautiful and awesome but very crowded, especially in summer. Go early to the Muir woods to see tje giant trees. Easy drive and absolutely beautiful.

Rent bikes and ride across the Golden gate to Sausalito. You can hang out, eat lunch, shop, etc. Then ride back or take a ferry back if you don't feel like riding the bikes back.

I think the drive down the PCH to Monterey/Carmel is worth it. Maybe even spend a night there.

Napa and Sonoma are close, too.
BSD
AG
If you want to see giant trees, head up to Armstrong State Park outside Healdsburg. Spend the morning there, have lunch in Healdsburg, and then hit the wineries in Dry Creek. Muir Woods is great too, and it's not far from the city. Be sure to get there early to avoid crowds. The parking lots fill up quickly there.
HECUBUS
AG
Golden Gate Park, Giants game, Ghiradelli, an overnight trip to Carmel with Monterey and Pebble beach on the way (its a good drive.) Cool stuff North as mentioned. Nothing like a Giants game, leaving the stadium at night to the song "When the lights go down in the city".
streetfighter2012
AG
Muir Woods is definitely an easy daytrip to see some redwoods. These are the coastal redwoods so they're the tall ones, not the wide ones but still awesome too see. Agreed with the above on gettin there early to avoid crowds and full parking lots. If you don't have time to make the drive up there a few are growing in the Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park, which is also a great spot to walk through in the morning. Look into the Sutro Heights/ Sutro Baths and Lands End areas for some interesting history and walking trails along the coast. Also the old fort that's under Golden Gate Bridge is pretty cool. We did the night tour of Alcatraz and had a good time.
Vernada
AG
If you want to do wine, it might be easier to just do Sonoma instead of Napa.
JAW3336
AG
We are not big time wine folks but would enjoy seeing some pretty vineyards. Where would be best for that.

I am thinking maybe we will spend one night down the PCH near Big Sur.
WoMD
Casual evening stroll in the tenderloin.
mpl35
AG
Alcatraz. Self guided tour

Muir Woods. Sequoias are cooler but farther.

Just drive to Sonoma for wine after Muir Woods.
fire09
AG
Gallery of fine arts is pretty cool, check out Mama's for breakfast, get there early, ride trolley car from the piers to union square, much shorter line. Prepare to spend 20% more minimum on pretty much everything. get dim sum in Chinatown.
BSD
AG
JAW3336 said:

We are not big time wine folks but would enjoy seeing some pretty vineyards. Where would be best for that.

You are only there for 4 nights, I'd suggest going to either the redwoods/wine county or down the PCH, not both. If you do both, you'll be in the car a long time and there is a lot to do in SF. Just my thoughts...
Skitch05
AG
JAW3336 said:

There are some beautiful wineries along the coast, and down in the Carmel Valley. If you aren't big time wine folk I would recommend skipping Napa/Sonoma and driving down to Carmel and checking out a winery or two there.

There are also Redwoods South of San Jose at the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, and you can check them out on the way to/from Big Sur. Muir Woods is bigger and more popular, but also much more crowded due to proximity to San Francisco. That said, a day at the Golden Gate Bridge/Marin Headlands/Sausalito/Muir Woods was my family's go to for showing visitors around when we lived in the Bay Area.

I would definitely spend a night or two in Carmel-by-the-sea, great location for a weekend away from the kids. Two or three nights in San Francisco and one or two in Carmel-by-the-sea would be a great trip.
SW AG80
AG
Stay at the Hyatt at Union Square. FW is too touristy and the better restaurants are closer to Union Square. Eat at Original Joe's in North Beach (the Italian area).
CedricBudrivenheimer
S
If you're not huge wine people just rent a car and make the beautiful drive one day to Sonoma - visit a vineyard or just go into Sonoma proper and have a great lunch.

Muir Woods is great. I'd actually do Muir Woods early and then continue on to Sonoma for lunch and a glass.

Big Sur is way too far. If you go south to Carmel it's worth it if you don't mind a drive - keep in mind that if you take PCH you'll be driving very slowly the whole way. However, Carmel is one of the most beautiful places anywhere. If you would like a hotel recommendation, check out Mission Ranch

http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/

It's an actual sheep farm turned B&B with the best view ever and a fantastic bar and restaurant. Used to (may still be) owned by Clint Eastwood.

Oh, and don't say San Fran in front of the locals
JAW3336
AG
Thanks everyone for the info thus far.

I booked flights into San Jose because the times worked better out of Austin using southwest.

We are planning to drive down to Carmel the day we arrive and spend the night there. Booked this hotel for that night. https://highlandsinn.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

I love the idea of the sheep farm B&B, but I have tons of Hyatt points.

On the second day we will drive to San Fran at some point and stay at the Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf, would like to stay at the Grand Hyatt at union Square but it is twice as many points per night.

Planning to hit the bridge, the baths, probably Muir woods, eats lots of food, take some sort of bay cruise around Alcatraz, and see what else interests us. Maybe the Botanical Gardens.

mpl35
AG
JAW3336 said:

I booked flights into San Jose because the times worked better out of Austin using southwest.

We are planning to drive down to Carmel the day we arrive and spend the night there. Booked this hotel for that night. https://highlandsinn.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

On the second day we will drive to San Fran at some point and stay at the Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf, would like to stay at the Grand Hyatt at union Square but it is twice as many points per night.

Planning to hit the bridge, the baths, probably Muir woods, eats lots of food, take some sort of bay cruise around Alcatraz, and see what else interests us. Maybe the Botanical Gardens.

Strongly suggest doing the tour on Alcatraz if possible. It is very cool.
Ted Logan
AG
FYI....PCH is closed in four places right now. A couple of those should reopen by the time you get there, but there is one bridge by Big Sur that will be out for a year. Not sure if you were planning on going that far south.
Belton Ag
AG
JAW3336 said:

When you leave Carmel, take 17 Mile Dr through Pebble Beach and Spyglass and into Monterey. Stunning views.
Z100
AG
My wife and I went to SF in October.
recommend the double decker bus tour someone mentioned earlier.
suggest you use uber or lyft instead of a car rental - for sure when you go to SF. driving/parking in the city it not easy. FWIW we took uber to/from napa. fog city near pier 27 was a good spot for dinner. scoma's on the wharf is a good dinner spot for seafood.
enjoy!
JAW3336
AG
I noticed that yesterday, but thanks for the heads up. Probably weren't going to go that far south anyway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.