Spirit Airlines?

6,690 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Counterpoint
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jake2011 said:

62strat said:

beefiedoubleoh said:

If you take luggage, you won't save any money over other budget carriers.
isnt southwest the only carrier with free bags? How does this statement make sense?

Many carriers such as American will give you free bags if you have their co-branded credit card.
American isn't a budget carrier.. the original statement above says won't save any money over other budget carriers.

I consider budget to be spirit, frontier, and SW. SW is the only one with free bags. Frontier and spirit both charge for carry on and check.
62strat
AG
ClickClack said:

62strat said:

beefiedoubleoh said:

isnt southwest the only [budget] carrier with free bags? How does this statement make sense?

Because usually with other carriers you can carry on a roll-bag for free. Spirit it has to be a backpack or smaller - you have to pay for a carry-on if it's any bigger.
See my statement above, SW is the only budget carrier with free bags. So the original statement made doesn't make any sense.
ClickClack
AG
62strat said:

ClickClack said:

62strat said:

beefiedoubleoh said:

isnt southwest the only [budget] carrier with free bags? How does this statement make sense?

Because usually with other carriers you can carry on a roll-bag for free. Spirit it has to be a backpack or smaller - you have to pay for a carry-on if it's any bigger.
See my statement above, SW is the only budget carrier with free bags. So the original statement made doesn't make any sense.

I'm flying united next week and am carrying on for free. If I had flown spirit I'd have to pay to carry on

Edit: Oh ok "budget" carrier...nvm I guess
Kool
AG
Old Jock 1997 said:

Looks like the airline is awful.

Turns out my wife was looking for a recommendation for her mom to fly from Dallas.

I'll be recommending Spirit all the way!!!
Make sure she books their last flight for the day, though. Especially if she is patient.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redsox34
AG
Took Spirit to Cancun. They front loaded the ticket price so I only got $100 refunded when they cancelled our flight home 9 hour before take off with the next one not coming for 4 days. No reason was ever given for why.

Was forced to fly United, the only other carrier flying to Houston from there. $1000 one way

the couple directly behind us ended up paying $1300 for the last available seats on the plane.

Makes me think Spirit was receiving some sort of kickback from United

Pay up now instead of later.
Matsui
AG
Southwest is far from a budget carrier anymore.
62strat
AG
Then that makes the statement from beefiedoubleohIf even more false. He said 'if you take luggage [on spirit], you won't save any money over other budget carriers'. Considering spirit and frontier are your main budget airlines, who both charge for carry on or check, that statement has zero truth to it.
JSKolache
AG
62strat said:

Then that makes the statement from beefiedoubleohIf even more false. He said 'if you take luggage [on spirit], you won't save any money over other budget carriers'. Considering spirit and frontier are your main budget airlines, who both charge for carry on or check, that statement has zero truth to it.

My bad. You win.
Post removed:
by user
ClickClack
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

62strat said:

My bad. You win.
62strat
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

62strat said:

My bad. You win.
dcAg
Not bad for flights under an hour and a half.
Jock 07
AG
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/spirit-airlines-is-ranked-the-worst-airline-in-america-030217.html
Aggiemike96
AG
Spirit Pilots Causing Chaos

Still a fan of Spirit?

Aggie1391
Flew back on Spirit from Vegas to Atlanta last weekend. The flight at the gate next to me was Spirit flying to San Antonio. The flights we're around 7:30 in the morning. Right before boarding for the SA flight, they announced that the plane had an issue and instead of fixing it, they cancelled the flight for the day and told everyone they could fly home the next day.

My flight was supposed to fly out at 8. We boarded, and I passed out for a bit. I woke up an hour and a half later and we hadn't left. They had some sort of computer issue that they didn't discover till we were all on the plane. They didn't let anyone off and we sat there for another hour before finally leaving.
Jock 07
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Still a fan of Spirit?

the greyhound of the sky
aggiedata
AG
Fubar

MaroonTxAg03
AG
Worst airline in operation by a wide margin in my opinion. Consistently poor performance. Last experience included cancelled flights after multiple delays to Cancun. Their best offer was to get us on a flight 3 days later with no hotel assistance in the meantime. Didn't work seeing as we were losing 3 days of our non-refundable anniversary vacation at an all inclusive resort.

Worth noting that every other Cancun flight from Bush to Cancun left that day. Delayed by 6 hours coming back as well. Apparently crews were walking off of flights. We booked through the resort and had no idea which airline it was....had I known it was Spirit I never would have booked it.

Not worth any perceived savings.....once they charge you $55 per bag and at least $15 per seat for the smallest in the industry you're better off ponying up for one of the better airlines.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Jock 07 said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Still a fan of Spirit?

the greyhound of the sky
A human garbage can with wings.
water turkey
Great, that is who we are flying to Cancun in July. I'll pack extra KY Jelly.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I really don't understand why people risk their entire trip over what amounts to a few bucks saved.
ClickClack
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I really don't understand why people risk their entire trip over what amounts to a few bucks saved.

Because they don't think their trip is at risk. Most just assume it's a little less customer service and no free bags and are willing to accept that. It's not until you've read all the stories or experienced it yourself that you realize you run the risk of huuuge delays or canceled flights with no remedy.
aggiedata
AG
Saving money can sometimes costs you a lot of dough.
62strat
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

simple risk vs. reward.

If the reward is great (lots of money saved), the tolerance of risk increases. If reward is very little.... well you get it now right?

It's really not hard to understand at all.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As i said, I don't think the reward on Spirit is high enough to justify the risk. But thanks for the explanation on the concept. Never heard of it.
redsox34
AG
I don't think most people see it as a risk, especially if you've never flown Spirit before or heard the stories. I know I didn't, but I won't be making that mistake again.
aggiedata
AG
  • Last in customer satisfaction
  • Last in on-time performance

Quote:

Among the 12 airlines ranked for on-time performance, Spirit finished last with just 65.3% of flights on time, 17 points below the industry average of 82.1% on-time arrivals
Quote:

Spirit also canceled a higher percentage of its flights in April than any other carrier

Roll the dice! Chances are pretty good that at some point all that money you are saving is going to blown on an unexpected hotel or last minute flight back home. Or you might even get into a free fist fight at the airport.
schmendeler
AG
What allows them to cancel flights without compensating customers for the inconvenience? Isn't this mandated?
62strat
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

As i said, I don't think the reward on Spirit is high enough to justify the risk. But thanks for the explanation on the concept. Never heard of it.
Reward is relative isn't it? You act like the 'reward' for spirit is some small, set amount. It varies of course.

I got my family to Houston for $69 a while back; the next best option was about $300. I consider 75%+ off a pretty substantial reward. I accepted the risk of plane not leaving that day, since it wouldn't have changed our plans to catch a flight the next day.
BMX Bandit
62strat said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Reward is relative isn't it? You act like the 'reward' for spirit is some small, set amount. It varies of course.

I got my family to Houston for $69 a while back; the next best option was about $300. I consider 75%+ off a pretty substantial reward. I accepted the risk of plane not leaving that day, since it wouldn't have changed our plans to catch a flight the next day.

Yet for thousands of other disgruntled Spirit passengers, catching the next day flight ruins their plans.

So while your antecdotal story is fascinating, it really doesn't address what Duberstein brought up. For thousands of people, the risk clearly outweighs the reward, yet they still fly
Jimmie Dimmick
Would 4 days later have ruined your plans? Because that's the type of delay some of these folks face.
62strat
AG
BMX Bandit said:

62strat said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Yet for thousands of other disgruntled Spirit passengers, catching the next day flight ruins their plans.

So while your antecdotal story is fascinating, it really doesn't address what Duberstein brought up. For thousands of people, the risk clearly outweighs the reward, yet they still fly
He's the one that made a blanket statement that the risk isn't worth the reward of a 'few bucks saved.'

My story is not an anomaly. Lots of people save lots of money flying spirit, and many do so with no incident. The risk is there, and that's where my whole risk vs reward came into the conversation.

Counterpoint
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

My only beef with them to this point has been the lousy mileage retention policy. I believe miles earned expire around 6 months if you don't earn any other miles/take any additional flights. The customer service via phone was awful, but I don't expect them to offer much more with their pricing. Service at the airport has always been more than adequate.

I think it's even worse than that...I think it's 3 months! But if your miles are about to expire, you can fill out these dumb surveys they have online that give you free miles. The miles aren't much, but they do restart your "mileage expiration clock".

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.