Flying with a 4 & 2 year old.

2,549 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
gibby03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any ideas or tips flying from Houston to Orlando?

Will have the iPad loaded up and coloring books but curious what other tips some of you experienced travelers may have.
Matsui
AG
Videos
Snacks
Drinks
Children's Benadryl
They are old enough to almost entertain themselves
Patience

My 13 month old went on his 15 segment yesterday and had a meltdown of epic proportions. Embarrassing.
histag10
AG
Make sure you try the benadryl at home first. It makes my kid super hyper.

We try to fly early morning, late evenimg, or right after lunch (nap time), to hedge our odds for a long nap during the flight.

My 2 year old has flown a lot, and we have only had one meltdown- Vegas to Denver. Pressure got to him and he was screaming the entire flight. most people around us were understand. The least understanding were 15 year old twin boys. Their dad told them to suck it up, because they did the same thing when they were little.
gibby03
AG
Someone else mentioned the Benadryl. Going to try that. As far as the snacks and water you still have to buy that after security correct? You don't get anything special because they are kids as far as carry on correct? I know babies get formula and baby food and such but after that I wasnt sure.

We fly out at 2:40 so I'm hoping they will be napping. We shall see. Flight was originally scheduled for 1:30 and they have bumped it back. Ughhh.

What about the ear stuff for the pressure change? Is that even worth it?
aggie_wes
AG
Bring lots of snacks. We get small fairly self-contained games for the little one. The older one I can throw headphones on + a few shows he likes on the iPad and he's pretty happy.
Matsui
AG
You can't take any liquids over 3.4 oz. but bring a bottle and fill it up. Or bring empty straw cups or sippy cups. You can bring little things of yogurt as well

All less than 3.4 oz can be carried thru tsa

Technically I've brought on 20 oz of milk in 2 bottles. They just bring it to advanced screening. But with kids 2 and 4 that should not occur.
Matsui
AG
You can bring on as many snacks as you wish Thru tsa and on plane. Banana. Apples snack bags etc. all allowed. Just no liquids

But use the bottle refill stations or tap water in airport
Matsui
AG
The pressure comes from not swallowing. Babies suffer from that. Your toddlers shouldn't. Get them to drink on takeoff and landing.

Don't buy special stuff for ears
Potcake
AG
Opposite direction as me.
gibby03
AG
Matsui, appreciate all the advice. If you think of anything else feel free to share!! Or if I think of anything else I won't hesitate to ask. Thanks.
histag10
AG
Make sure they have a snack for takeoff. It helps with the ears if they are chewing. Or a sucker to suck on.

You can bring any food through security
Joan Wilder
AG
Have something for them to eat or drink while ascending and descending. They're old enough that you can show them how to yawn and swallow to relieve the pressure. Have a special bag of toys or comics or books for them to open periodically during flight, or if they're good with movies just settle them in with one on your iPad.
62strat
AG
Matsui said:

You can't take any liquids over 3.4 oz. but bring a bottle and fill it up. Or bring empty straw cups or sippy cups. You can bring little things of yogurt as well

All less than 3.4 oz can be carried thru tsa

Technically I've brought on 20 oz of milk in 2 bottles. They just bring it to advanced screening. But with kids 2 and 4 that should not occur.

In a diaper bag, you pretty much have free reign. We just flew and in diaper bag was thermoses filled with water (those contigo brand ones), a 5 oz bottle of sunblock, a normal size tube of toothpaste (no fluoride kid toothpaste).. and those 4-5oz soft packages of pured fruit/veggies.

All went through with no problem both times. On one leg the lady did mention the sunblock. I said it's kid sunblock and they don't sell travel size. She looked at me half smiling and said, is it for medical purposes? I said, yes it's to prevent skin cancer. She laughed, threw it in the bag and moved on. They just do their little swipe test on everything in the bag, so allow for extra time if you have all this stuff. We where at that station for 10-15 minutes.

There have never been restrictions on solid foods, so snacks are not a problem.

We've flown 4-5 times with their water bottles filled and the pured food and it has never been rejected.

62strat
AG
Our 2.5 year old was not having the seat belt. So I told flight attendant to come tell him. I then told kid before she came if he doesn't put it on he'll get in trouble. Then she came by and did her little thing saying the pilot won't move the plane until we are all buckled in and bad kids who don't wear belts are put in the belly of the plane... etc.

He put on the belt no problem.
ChipFTAC01
AG
We're flying to England next month with our then 7-month old twins. Any advice on logistics? I'm thinking of leaving our giant double stroller at home and just taking two cheapish single umbrella strollers. We've thankfully got the bassinet seats both going and coming and I'm hopeful they'll sleep most of the flight over as its an overnight flight.
histag10
AG
Are you using infant carrier carseat?

If so, I would suggest just buying a frame that they snap onto. I think in most brands, you can find a double as well.

Bring bottle warmer packs (travel kind). Even if they don't want their milk warm at that point, you can use it to warm baby food.

Bring enough diapers in your carryon that if your flight is delayed or whatnot, you don't run out. You typically can't find diapers for sale in airports.

If using formula, bring a few bottles of water through security, and bring formula in a pre portioned dispenser.

Make sure each baby is either drinking a bottle or sucking on a pacifier during takeoff and landing.

If you can bring one of the travel changer/bassinets with you, I would. Change tables on planes are crazy small and awkward to use, but on an international flight, you should have enough room in a bathroom to use one of those. Also great for sleeping in airports. If not bringing a car seat or stroller through security, wear them.
62strat
AG
for babies on powder formula, this is a must have

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Formula-Dispenser-Combo-Colors/dp/B000RFCXIK

Not necessarily just for plane travel, I mean for anything. Even just going for a long day of errands, we used to fill up a bottle with correct amount of water, piping hot. Then in a few hours, we could use this little dispenser thing and water would still be warm. Pre-portioned sizes makes it a snap.

Aggielandma12
AG
T&P
Aggielandma12
AG
my wife went to the dollar store or the dollar bin and Target and bought a bunch crap
She put it all in small boxes and wrapped it as a small present and let them open it on the plane. It kept them entertained for most of the flight.
jetescamilla
AG
It sounds like you have it covered. Just spoil them with things you'd normally limit them with at home. Ipad/cellphones/games/movies. You might want to get some kids sized headphones so they can listen without irritating other passengers who have no idea what it's like to travel with children. Then break it up with coloring/food.

It probably doesn't seem like it now, but your flight is pretty short and shouldn't be a problem. I remember being stressed the first time we flew with 2 and now it's such a breeze. We live in Alaska and my kids probably fly 6 times a year. In fact my son now has MVP Status from his flying last year. I enjoy the look on other passengers when me and him get upgraded to first class.

Good luck, you'll do just fine.
histag10
AG
I got dirty looks for taking a 6 months old in first class on a 2 hour late night flight. He slept the whole way, I just needed to relax a bit and sitting in economy is now way to relax. Also, it's easier to drink if I'm not constantly reaching for my card to pay, and actually ahve room to put my tray table down.

If I could afford to always fly 1st class with a kid, I would.
Say Chowdah
AG
Its not a long flight.

Benedryl is probably better reserved for long trips as it does leave children with a "hangover" following it (although Orlando is probably the best cure in the world for lethargic children).

Some advice I got, apologize to everyone around you in advance. It will garner immediate sympathy. However, seeing as you are flying to Orlando, you will probably be on a flight full of knee huggers already!
Post removed:
by user
62strat
AG
histag10 said:

Also, it's easier to drink if I'm not constantly reaching for my card to pay,
Holy ***** that's some first world problems right there, and a serious lack of problem solving skills all rolled into one.

DannyDuberstein
AG
dum dum suckers. helps with the ear pressure, keeps them occupied, and you can stuff an ample supply of them in a small space in your bag/pocket.

I wouldn't mess with drugging them, especially that short of a flight. As mentioned, benadryl can have the opposite impact as well as a hangover effect
histag10
AG
62strat said:

histag10 said:

Holy ***** that's some first world problems right there, and a serious lack of problem solving skills all rolled into one.

It was a long trip, and we were on our way home. I wouldnt say it was a true first world problem, since I did say I cant always afford to do that.

Also, would you not agree? Each time I reach for my card to pay for a drink on a flight, I'm reminded of how much they are charging.
62strat
AG
histag10 said:

62strat said:

histag10 said:

It was a long trip, and we were on our way home. I wouldnt say it was a true first world problem, since I did say I cant always afford to do that.

Also, would you not agree? Each time I reach for my card to pay for a drink on a flight, I'm reminded of how much they are charging.
*I was referring to you complaining having to grab your card every time you get a drink (2 hour flight.. what, 3-4 drinks?) What, was your card inside your wallet, inside your purse, inside your carry on, and you put it away every time? hah.
You don't need the wolf to solve this problem.

SoTheySay
S
We paid about $15 for Benadryl in the airport. Worth every damn penny - we fly with two 4 year olds and a 2 year old.

Assuming you're taking the bus from the airport to resort... waiting in line to get on that bus is hell in itself.
gibby03
AG
It's funny you say that about the bus. They said the wait time could be 45 min to an hour wait time. Not looking forward to that at all.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like most other things Disney, it's not bad if you're there off-peak. We went first week of May a few years ago. Waited maybe 15 minutes. It is a cattle call, but they manage it well.

The entire trip I spent much of the time marveling at what a beatdown it would be if all of the various rails for line qeues were full of people instead of mostly empty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.